USO F: [2]Bryans def. [5]Paes/ Stepanek 6-3, 6-4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
country flag Trollin Stone

Trollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond repute
Default USO F: [2]Bryans def. [5]Paes/ Stepanek 6-3, 6-4

Well, not a great match. They have the Open era team record for # of GS titles and tied the same all time record (Newcombe/Roche). Also extended the streak of winning at least 1 major in a year for 8 years (also the Open era record, all time record for an individual player and for a team is 9 by Doherty brothers from the beginning of the 20th century; Emerson is another person who won a GS men's doubles title 8 years in a row)

They tied the Open era record for # of USO titles, too (4 by Lutz-Smith, J. Mac has 4 too); all time record is 6 (19th century)

Last edited by Trollin Stone : 09-07-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Trollin Stone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USO F: [2]Bryans def. [5]Paes/ Stepanek 6-3, 6-4

well. not the kind of final that makes doubles more popular. Bryans way too clinical. Kept the errors down and quickly finished off any weak return/shot. Paes/Stepanek gave away too many free points. Never got any real pressure on the twins. Outcome was NID.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Bryans for all the records, but even a Bryan brothers would not have been too pleased with this match. It was probably their easiest match in the tournament. They had to almost nothing, apart from a very great retrievals at Paes' dropshots.

Stepanek seemed uninterested, at best. Apart from two points, there was absolutely none of Paes' trademark aggression. The only good game they played was Stepanek's last hold. If they had been so bad initially, they would probably have lost in the second round. The overhead's were one of the worst I have seen. No smashing, just put the ball back into play. Mike even managed to return one smash with his wrong hand. And that was probably the best smash from Paes/Steps in the entire match. And Steps volleying was even worse than in the SF. Just give it straight back to one of the brothers with no pace what soever. To top it all off, the first set was strewn with errors.

I think Paes/Steps could be one of the most inconsistent top teams in recent times. The lack of co-ordination today was laughable. The first set and a half was even worse than the MC QF this year.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

Trollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Congrats Bryans for all the records, but even a Bryan brothers would not have been too pleased with this match. It was probably their easiest match in the tournament. They had to almost nothing, apart from a very great retrievals at Paes' dropshots.

Stepanek seemed uninterested, at best. Apart from two points, there was absolutely none of Paes' trademark aggression. The only good game they played was Stepanek's last hold. If they had been so bad initially, they would probably have lost in the second round. The overhead's were one of the worst I have seen. No smashing, just put the ball back into play. Mike even managed to return one smash with his wrong hand. And that was probably the best smash from Paes/Steps in the entire match. And Steps volleying was even worse than in the SF. Just give it straight back to one of the brothers with no pace what soever. To top it all off, the first set was strewn with errors.

I think Paes/Steps could be one of the most inconsistent top teams in recent times. The lack of co-ordination today was laughable. The first set and a half was even worse than the MC QF this year.
It was Bob iirc. Great summary. Paes anticipated Bryans better than his partner. When Bryans hit something down the middle it was a point for them almost all the time it seems. Well Stepanek won for them the AO final (Paes was good too ofc), the USO final was lost mainly by him.

BTW Bryans are almost certain YE #1, the second team (Mirnyi/Nestor) is more than 2700 points behind in the race. They didnt start the year great but they lead comfortably right now. Whatsmore they got 0 points for their Olympic win

Last edited by Trollin Stone : 09-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

not a trademark shot today:

Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to the Bryans. I thought that after all the seeds went down that they would go too. Since they always seem to lose whenever the draw appears wide open.

Hard to believe that Paes will be 40 next year. I can't imagine how many more GS's he and Bhupathi might have if they had been able to check their ego's for more than one tournament every so often. And it would have been great for the sport to maintain that marquee team.

Last edited by Tommy_Vercetti : 09-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Tommy_Vercetti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

Last edited by Trollin Stone : 09-07-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollin Stone View Post
It was Bob iirc.
Don't remember now.

Great pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollin Stone View Post

This was so funny. It actually happened in slow motion.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Too good from the Bryans, not for the first time in a slam. Steps started slow and they were always trying to hang with the Bryans from there.
Nice words from Paes after the match.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats

http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable congrats guys
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
country flag Uranium

Uranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond reputeUranium has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on #12. Now get that 2nd Roland Garros already.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Bob & Mike!
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Congrats to the Bryans. I thought that after all the seeds went down that they would go too. Since they always seem to lose whenever the draw appears wide open.

Hard to believe that Paes will be 40 next year. I can't imagine how many more GS's he and Bhupathi might have if they had been able to check their ego's for more than one tournament every so often. And it would have been great for the sport to maintain that marquee team.
It's Over now, they could have done much better if they had played more together... but at an younger age. Even at this age, they have a good record against Bryans and other teams. Just think how it would have been if they did this when they were Young.

*FIRST to reach all the finals of GSs in an year.
*Longest winning streak in Davis Cup.

They hold this two.
mreccentric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote