Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2) - Page 153 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #2281
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I am almost blind, seriously.

Don't worry, though, I see Nole as a decent bloke.

I just don't like his primal roar celebrations, find them a bit… off putting.
I am no fan of the roars either. But why would I judge him based on that? Isn't that ultra silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
No they don't. There are people who will never admit one single good thing about Nole. He repulses them.
Blind people.

Quote:
I don't like Murray's roars either, but his are especially bad because he opens his mouth so wide.

I am obliged to like Andy, though, because he is from Great Britain and he plays great tennis. However I'll openly admit that he has more faults than Djokovic, on a non-tennis level.
He plays great tennis TO YOU. People on this board seem to believe there is a "right" type of tennis. And Federer is awesome and the gold standard for beautiful tennis. Well, I have to break it to you and everyone else: beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this applies to tennis too. I happen to find serve and volley super boring when that is all a player is doing.

And you don't have to like Murra because he is British. I strongly dislike Cristiano Ronaldo and many other portuguese athletes. I don't like Frederico Gil, for example. He is weird and arrogant in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinny View Post
Those are the things that aren't directed towards anyone. Everyone has their way of expressing emotions, it's just a personal thing. How can someone judge them based on that I judge people based on how they treat others, interact with others. Judging someone's roars is just like judging someone's hair or nose to me . Of course people don't have to like it, can even dislike it, but just writing someone off because of it is just... .
Exactly. I strongly dislike Murray's on court behaviour. He acts like he should never lose a point, it's outrageous that he loses a point, let alone a game. It's like the opponent never does it well, he is the one messing it up. But I know he doesn't feel this way, it is just how he makes it seem. So I don't judge him based on this...
arm is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #2282
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
I think a lot of the celebrations happened after a hand-shake though? And, his handshakes could not be warmer, win or lose. And I mean, they (the winners) ALL celebrate, one way or another! That's what they play for! The 30 seconds is really an exaggeration here .
I think a lot of my feelings towards Nole were formed early in his career. It's difficult for me to change them. I acknowledge he is a genuinely good guy, these days. I don't dislike him at all.

I know what you mean. Of course it's understandable to let the emotions come out after a really hard battle.

Perhaps it's an exaggeration?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #2283
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
You make a good point. It did happen just two decades ago. But wasn't it in a different scale? What I know about the Balkans' war is that in the concentration camps women were treated like sex slaves. But in WWII sex was an exchange coin. Every town or village the soldiers (russian, american, german or british or whatever) would walk by, they would "use" women as they wish. This did not happen 20 years ago, please. Not in the same way.

I look at the men around me. My age, my dad's age, they would never do such a thing regardless of the context. So how does this happen??
Women who were not in camps were also ***** in the Balkans.

I know that I would like to think that people I know would rather die than do these horrible things that happened, but most of the people who committed these acts were ordinary people who would never have done these things in their regular lives

And please, I don't point out the Balkans in any discriminatory manner. I think any body from any country is possibly capable of horrible things. We simply don't know what we will do in extreme circumstances.

Also the desire to steal. Some poor wraiths who were freed from their forced labor in Germany broke into a store which is understandable you think, but it was a store that sold nothing but doorknobs. The poor starving people not only stole the doorknobs, they fought bitterly with one another over the doorknobs. One man struggled with a woman and knocked her down and took her doorknobs. He ran off down the street. Suddenly he stopped and looked down at his load of stolen door knobs. Then with an expression of disgust, he flung them away from him. It was a madness.
star is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #2284
country flag cinny

cinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am no fan of the roars either. But why would I judge him based on that? Isn't that ultra silly?
Exactly. I strongly dislike Murray's on court behaviour. He acts like he should never lose a point, it's outrageous that he loses a point, let alone a game. It's like the opponent never does it well, he is the one messing it up. But I know he doesn't feel this way, it is just how he makes it seem. So I don't judge him based on this...
Nodding. I wouldn't do the same, but then I wouldn't ask everyone to express things the same way I do, would be ultra strange .

Just to add to this: it's all very biased. I mean, people would not mention that Nole conceded a point that he was legitimately given during a historic RG final match, but would point it out the moment he celebrated his well-deserved win. It's really all about what you choose to think of a person, not much Nole can do really .
cinny is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #2285
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

The roars aren't the only things that prevent me from really getting behind him.

I find his game very metronomic. Undoubtedly extremely effective, but for me, it's not a thrill for me to watch him often. There's nothing in there that I really appreciate, that I could watch again and again.

You are trying to get me to fall in the trap, but I won't. I don't dislike Nole. I would lean more towards the like side in fact, but I'm certainly not a fan.

I want Britain to win slams. I care about the tennis pedigree of my country. Maybe it's not so important to Portugal, but tennis is a big tradition in the UK and I don't want it to disappear like it has been.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #2286
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind the roars. They aren't my favorite thing, but most players seem to give off roars at some point. Maybe not Big John. I don't remember a roar from him. But Murray certainly roars A LOT. Federer roars. Nadal roars. Simon roars once in a while.

I think more the chest beating and the shirt ripping are off putting, but not significantly. That's just me.

I have issues with Nole on somethings, but you know, that's the way it is with people. I don't even like every single thing about my pets.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #2287
country flag cinny

cinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond reputecinny has a reputation beyond repute

That's all good George. You don't have to like his game at all . Just give him some benefit of the doubt. Like you said, you didn't like his younger self but have come to think that it's all better. That's all that matters!

Bye guys, I'm just dropping by for fun. George, please stay and chat with everyone as you have been .
cinny is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #2288
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
The roars aren't the only things that prevent me from really getting behind him.

I find his game very metronomic. Undoubtedly extremely effective, but for me, it's not a thrill for me to watch him often. There's nothing in there that I really appreciate, that I could watch again and again.

You are trying to get me to fall in the trap, but I won't. I don't dislike Nole. I would lean more towards the like side in fact, but I'm certainly not a fan.

I want Britain to win slams. I care about the tennis pedigree of my country. Maybe it's not so important to Portugal, but tennis is a big tradition in the UK and I don't want it to disappear like it has been.
You still didn't answer my question of what you think of Murray's roars. Edit: I see you did.

What I like about Nole's game, and you don't have to agree, is his lovely effortless stroke and his ability to change direction of the ball with apparent ease. Changing direction that effortlessly is really difficult and there are few players who can do it consistently as Djokovic. Also I love the depth on his shots. It's killing.

I don't see Murray as having a significantly different game than Djokovic. What I like best about Murray is his brilliant speed. He's sort of like Martina Hingis in that -- it's not pure speed. A lot of it is anticipation which is apparent when sometimes his anticipation is incorrect.

But I can't have a favorite simply because I admire the game. Murray is the player I would like to like, but I can't.

I just can't see hating Djokovic's game and loving Murray's game -- if we are looking at it as purely tennis and not with other biases influencing our opinions.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #2289
country flag The Prince

Exactly. It's not just Nole's roars I dislike, if that is what you were wondering.

I actually appreciate a bit of emotion. I like consistently hearing players shout 'come on' after each point. I think it shows that they are mentally there and willing to fight.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #2290
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Women who were not in camps were also ***** in the Balkans.

I know that I would like to think that people I know would rather die than do these horrible things that happened, but most of the people who committed these acts were ordinary people who would never have done these things in their regular lives

And please, I don't point out the Balkans in any discriminatory manner. I think any body from any country is possibly capable of horrible things. We simply don't know what we will do in extreme circumstances.

Also the desire to steal. Some poor wraiths who were freed from their forced labor in Germany broke into a store which is understandable you think, but it was a store that sold nothing but doorknobs. The poor starving people not only stole the doorknobs, they fought bitterly with one another over the doorknobs. One man struggled with a woman and knocked her down and took her doorknobs. He ran off down the street. Suddenly he stopped and looked down at his load of stolen door knobs. Then with an expression of disgust, he flung them away from him. It was a madness.
I should probably ask my tutor about this. I mean my thesis tutor, a psychiatrist. There must be a few good theories on this.

Quote:
Nodding. I wouldn't do the same, but then I wouldn't ask everyone to express things the same way I do, would be ultra strange .

Just to add to this: it's all very biased. I mean, people would not mention that Nole conceded a point that he was legitimately given during a historic RG final match, but would point it out the moment he celebrated his well-deserved win. It's really all about what you choose to think of a person, not much Nole can do really .
I gave up on it. People like who they choose to like, that is the true. And it doesn't bother me that they are unfair to Nole and only point out the worst in him. What it annoys me, is when these people are confronted with the facts, the immense qualities Nole has, and they deny it. That is just being blind.

Quote:
That sound veeeery snobbish, George. Portugal (I think) has had 4 players in the top100. Ever. How happy do you think I would be if even Gil won a Slam? Just because it's a bigger tradition in the UK it doesn't mean it's any less important for me.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #2291
country flag The Prince

For you star, I did actually answer your question.

Quote:
I don't like Murray's roars either, but his are especially bad because he opens his mouth so wide.

I am obliged to like Andy, though, because he is from Great Britain and he plays great tennis. However I'll openly admit that he has more faults than Djokovic, on a non-tennis level.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #2292
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
For you star, I did actually answer your question.
I edited before I read this.

Mean of you to bury the answer in a post to Raquel.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #2293
country flag arm

Quote:

I have issues with Nole on somethings, but you know, that's the way it is with people. I don't even like every single thing about my pets.
I can't believe you just said that.

Quote:
That's all good George. You don't have to like his game at all . Just give him some benefit of the doubt. Like you said, you didn't like his younger self but have come to think that it's all better. That's all that matters!

Bye guys, I'm just dropping by for fun. George, please stay and chat with everyone as you have been .
You're always welcome, sweetie
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #2294
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
I can't believe you just said that.
I can hardly approve of Aisha attacking my hands when I type on the computer. She hits hard!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #2295
country flag The Prince

I won't bother answering. I'm tired of this now. Constantly having to dig my trench and defend myself. First Djokovic and now snobbery. Let me make this clear, I definitely am not a snob. You don't know me well, but if you did, you'd know it's the last thing I would be.

Maybe I will explain myself another time when I am less tired. If not, then oh well.

Best if I go now.
Closed Thread