Del Potro will never win a slam again. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Del Potro ever win another slam?

He will not win a slam again. 47 40.17%
He will win one or more slams in the future. 70 59.83%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #61
country flag Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Del Potro will never win a slam again.

^ I said as much though. I didn't say del Potro would never win another slam.
Cereal Killer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #62
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

The top 4 is not an issue. All JMDP has to worry about is fully overcoming his health issues; once/if that is taken care of, the rest will take care of itself.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #63
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Getting up to 4 in the world would be a huge help to his chances. As it is right now, he probably has to beat three Slam champions in a row to win one. If he can make 4th spot he can get draws like Ferrer did at this USO just gone and be able to compete at the business end with full fitness (he can beat a lot of guys not fully fit but the top 4 are another animal)
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #64
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

If he stays in the tour a few years there won't be many players who will be able to beat him.

3 slams is realitisc IMO.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #65
country flag out_grinder
Banned!

out_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Well, he was handed the match against Cilic on a plate (all he had to do with be there and put some balls in court) and the match against Berdych was a write off due to the wind. Berdych nearly sneaked it into a 5th set despite being a murderous wind player.

Going on a tear or into a slump is irrelevant 3 years from now. I think Del Potro's going to have his chance whether it's within the next few years or even further into the future. There's no one coming through and despite things being predictable right now with the top 4 dominating, it's hardly going to be the case in another 4 years time.
Way to take all credit from Murray.

Cilic def. Cilic in QF.

Wind def. Berdych in SF.

Wind and tiredness def. Djokovic in F.

I guess all Murray had to do was stand there? I guess Murray was wrapped in some kind of transparent alien membrane that blocks quickly traveling air particles, but lets tennis balls through, meaning the wind did not affect him but only affected his opponents? I guess if you were in his final three matches, you'd also be holding the trophy at the end of them?

Why won't you admit that Murray bested Cilic because he was mentally tougher, and also picked up his game drastically after 2nd set.

Murray was smarter than Berdych and has more feel for the ball (a very fundamental tennis talent), thus was able to adjust better than Berdych in the wind. I would note that even in windless conditions, a Berdych win was certainly not a far-gone conclusion since Murray had beat him in straights in their last hard-court match.

Murray and Djokovic both struggled equally in the wind. Murray tried to choke it away in the 3rd and 4th sets, but his new-found slam-winning mentality finally kicked in for the first time on the biggest stage in set 5 and he toughed Djokovic out and completely out-played him for the last set.

How anyone can say this slam was not deserved is beyond me.
out_grinder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #66
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_grinder View Post
Way to take all credit from Murray.

Cilic def. Cilic in QF.

Wind def. Berdych in SF.

Wind and tiredness def. Djokovic in F.

I guess all Murray had to do was stand there? I guess Murray was wrapped in some kind of transparent alien membrane that blocks quickly traveling air particles, but lets tennis balls through, meaning the wind did not affect him but only affected his opponents? I guess if you were in his final three matches, you'd also be holding the trophy at the end of them?

Why won't you admit that Murray bested Cilic because he was mentally tougher, and also picked up his game drastically after 2nd set.

Murray was smarter than Berdych and has more feel for the ball (a very fundamental tennis talent), thus was able to adjust better than Berdych in the wind. I would note that even in windless conditions, a Berdych win was certainly not a far-gone conclusion since Murray had beat him in straights in their last hard-court match.

Murray and Djokovic both struggled equally in the wind. Murray tried to choke it away in the 3rd and 4th sets, but his new-found slam-winning mentality finally kicked in for the first time on the biggest stage in set 5 and he toughed Djokovic out and completely out-played him for the last set.

How anyone can say this slam was not deserved is beyond me.
Who said the tournament win wasn't deserved? He did what he had to do, nothing more.

Of course Murray picked up his game, after he won that second set against Cilic, but Cilic crumbled well beforehand.

Murray is a much better wind player than Berdych because he has more margin for error on his shot selection, he uses far more topsin and he has far better movement. Please don't pretend that Murray did not dodge a bullet in this match.

And Djokovic was clearly struggling with the wind more than Murray, hence how his balance was all over the place because he couldn't anticipate the flow of the game.

This is all besides the point but you're obviously not interested in this.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #67
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

1, possibly 2 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Should've been Federer, Murray and Del Potro will never win slams again
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #68
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

I love Patrick!

Federer will win another grand slam.
Cilic is not a one slam wonder.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #69
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't that the episode where Patrick and spongebob were acting like a married couple taking care of a baby clam? ... Wait, I shouldn't know that..

Yeah so Burrow: should've lost to Cilic huh? 3 set match was it? Murray woulda coulda shoulda won the next 3 sets after going 2 sets down anyway. Luck against Berdych aye? Considering we'll never know how either would have done under normal conditions, this point is mute. In fact Murray woulda coulda shoulda won in straight sets without the wind. The wind cost him a set by harming his serve and forehand. Pretty basic reasoning.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #70
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting for Del Potro to make a breakthrough at a Masters event first. As underrated as they are in the tennis world, he doesn't stand a chance at winning another slam until he takes a long overdue Masters title and proves his credentials at big titles against the best

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #71
country flag tyruk14

tyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro possesses a great deal of heart. He's got one more slam left in him.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #72
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Wasn't that the episode where Patrick and spongebob were acting like a married couple taking care of a baby clam? ... Wait, I shouldn't know that..

Yeah so Burrow: should've lost to Cilic huh? 3 set match was it? Murray woulda coulda shoulda won the next 3 sets after going 2 sets down anyway. Luck against Berdych aye? Considering we'll never know how either would have done under normal conditions, this point is mute. In fact Murray woulda coulda shoulda won in straight sets without the wind. The wind cost him a set by harming his serve and forehand. Pretty basic reasoning.
Aye, you're another yin missing the point pal
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #73
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal and Djokovic fans seem to be in love each others, i don't know why.

Maybe because their dominance add some credit to their main argument: "Federer era was weak, Djokovic and Nadal are better". If Nadal lost in the past against Djokovic, it is because the serb is an all-time great, like Rafa, not like this weak-era swiss boss. At contrary, for Djokovic-fans, Nadal is important because he represent the big pride of Djokovic, he's the beautiful loser who is great but just a bit lesser than their god.

Murray can't be loved because he lose too often against Federer in the big stages. If Djokovic lose against Federer and Murray, it hurts this perfect circular argument: "Nadal and Djokovic can lose only against each others because they're THAT good." Therefore, if Nadal is not here, Djokovic has to win to preserve this ideal.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #74
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
Nadal and Djokovic fans seem to be in love each others, i don't know why.

Maybe because their dominance add some credit to their main argument: "Federer era was weak, Djokovic and Nadal are better". If Nadal lost in the past against Djokovic, it is because the serb is an all-time great, like Rafa, not like this weak-era swiss boss. At contrary, for Djokovic-fans, Nadal is important because he represent the big pride of Djokovic, he's the beautiful loser who is great but just a bit lesser than their god.

Murray can't be loved because he lose too often against Federer in the big stages. If Djokovic lose against Federer and Murray, it hurts this perfect circular argument: "Nadal and Djokovic can lose only against each others because they're THAT good." Therefore, if Nadal is not here, Djokovic has to win to preserve this ideal.
It`s hard to swallow that your favourite boy is lower in ranking that 31 year old guy. I think that if Fed were 25 now and really on peak of his play he would never be so hated. But even past his peak he is relevant - it hurts someone, IMO.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #75
country flag bounccer

If Nadal surpass the Federer slam count Nadal's tards will suddenly like him and say Federer was a great opponent, guaranteed.