Del Potro Believes... - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #31
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Del Potro Believes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Delpo needs to start working harder on his fitnes. Enough with mini injury every other week. I hope he brings his A game in AO 2013 and starts playing like he can (Novak will wipe the floor with him in the QF here). In a year or 2, if/when Fed declines, Rafa has a question mark over his head right now, Juan has a chance to be the no2 behind Novak. But if he plays most of the year like he is playing right now he will be ranked about no5.
I'd agree with that. Def a leg up on his mental attitude but he's gotta start putting in the physical training if he want's to be a true contender in the big events. If he were in top shape, he could win a lot, just pretty clear he's not.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #32
country flag alter ego

alter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond reputealter ego has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfish8 View Post
Unlike Berdych and Tsonga, I think Delpo's head is in the right place.
This is the mentality of a grand slam contender.

I think this is what has made the difference between him and Berdych/Tsonga this year.
He has, for the most part performed better than Berdych/Tsonga against the top crowd this year and I think this mentality hasn't hurt him.

What do you guys think?

Is it the right mindset? Or is he being too cocky?
What utter crap! The mental side comes into effect only if 2 players are extremly close tennis wise. Del Potro who is 3 years younger than Berdych and Tsonga has already won more titles (11 JMDP, 8 Tsonga, 7 Berdych). This stat alone shows that Del Po is in an upper tier than the other 2.
Del Potro is far more consistent, has a better BH, better returns , anticipates better the game than than Tsonga or Berdych.

Last edited by alter ego : 09-04-2012 at 12:02 AM.
alter ego is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #33
country flag LleytonMonfils

LleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeLleytonMonfils has a reputation beyond repute

Del Po could have a Sharapova type of career winning 4 slams or so

Needs to get fit and go beast mode for a year or two
LleytonMonfils is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #34
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
This is why I love Del Po. The guy has a champion's heart and mentality. That is what's key. Not sure about the Ferrer part though.
Yeah, he has a lot of heart, that is admirable. Too bad he has no game to be a multi slam winner no matter how much he "believes" One can only do so much when all you can do is hammer the ball as hard as you can.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LleytonMonfils View Post
Del Po could have a Sharapova type of career winning 4 slams or so

Needs to get fit and go beast mode for a year or two

This isn't the WTA tour where mindless ballbasher like Sharapova can capture Career Slam.

Del Shitro should be satisfied with what he has, holding a slam courtesy of injured Nadal and choking Olderer already makes him one of the biggest overachievers of the open era. He will not win a masters title, let alone another slam.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #36
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfish8 View Post
Well the only way to get to the top 4 without beating top 4 players back to back is if he "vultures" (according to your definition).
I know you have something personal against players who you think are guilty of vulturing so if you wouldn't mind explaining yourself...
It's simple really. If he manages to remain healthy for an extended period, beating the top 4 players won't be an issue because he will be a top 4 player himself. Of course it's impossible to get to the top 4 without actually beating the players already in there, what I'm suggesting is that beating the best players would be a non-issue because he'd be one of them.

Even after enduring wrist surgery and with a 2012 full of niggles/injuries, he's probably the 5th best player in the world at the moment and is really only getting beaten by a handful of players. If his body stops failing him so often, he can only climb up further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Delpo needs to start working harder on his fitnes. Enough with mini injury every other week. I hope he brings his A game in AO 2013 and starts playing like he can (Novak will wipe the floor with him in the QF here). In a year or 2, if/when Fed declines, Rafa has a question mark over his head right now, Juan has a chance to be the no2 behind Novak. But if he plays most of the year like he is playing right now he will be ranked about no5.
What do you mean? His injuries have nothing to do with poor fitness. Even if you are the fittest athlete in the world, you can't play tennis if you break your wrist. He's fit, just extremely injury prone.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #37
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
It's simple really. If he manages to remain healthy for an extended period, beating the top 4 players won't be an issue because he will be a top 4 player himself. Of course it's impossible to get to the top 4 without actually beating the players already in there, what I'm suggesting is that beating the best players would be a non-issue because he'd be one of them.

Even after enduring wrist surgery and with a 2012 full of niggles/injuries, he's probably the 5th best player in the world at the moment and is really only getting beaten by a handful of players. If his body stops failing him so often, he can only climb up further.

What do you mean? His injuries have nothing to do with poor fitness. Even if you are the fittest athlete in the world, you can't play tennis if you break your wrist. He's fit, just extremely injury prone.
What we mean is he is far from the top physical shape he could be in. That's easy to tell. The wrist issue is long dead by now.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #38
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
I didn`t see this year in a lot of matches again Federer that he really believes. I don`t care about views that much, the main words are said on court.
but he's won a slam and came close to beating the top players in slams at multiple times... he obviously believes, his game shows that

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #39
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
What we mean is he is far from the top physical shape he could be in. That's easy to tell. The wrist issue is long dead by now.
This is based on what exactly though? Just recently, he played the longest 3 setter ever against Federer at Olympics and then went on to beat Djokovic in the bronze medal match, this surely suggests good fitness/physical shape.

The time where he couldn't take long matches is long gone, it's not an issue at all. The issue here are his injuries, not his fitness.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #40
country flag AZ-12

AZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is del Potro´s mindset that makes him a winner. His talent and dedication is good enough to give him a chance to big victories, and he doesn't feel embarassed to say it, since he has a both old and recent results that back up his words. Actually he doesn't seem overly coccky at all since he points out that he is not the favorite against the best. Some players have an attitude without so much talent though, but it really doesn't seem to help them much.
AZ-12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #41
country flag Zelyony

Zelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond repute

I wish he would win more slams.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
country flag mlhyde

mlhyde is on a distinguished road

I love him as well as his attitude, but where does this whole Isner and Ferrer bullshit come from?
mlhyde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #43
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

He has won a slam already and knows he is capable of winning more slams.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #44
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
This is based on what exactly though? Just recently, he played the longest 3 setter ever against Federer at Olympics and then went on to beat Djokovic in the bronze medal match, this surely suggests good fitness/physical shape.

The time where he couldn't take long matches is long gone, it's not an issue at all. The issue here are his injuries, not his fitness.
His fitness totally failed him versus Roger at the French.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #45
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

at least he has a slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote