Mens Tennis Forums banner

Bernard Tomic SLAMMED by Rafter, Masur - may be left out of Davis Cup

14K views 140 replies 73 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
LIVE ON AIR!

Rafter saying it's not good enough, he needs to put the work in, unimpressive. Said he mention the 'D' word - Davis Cup - and said he won't be playing unless he sees an improvement.

Masur agrees.

:eek:

Love how Tomic is the scape goat for Tennis Australia's failings. They fail to recognize Tomic as our best player since Hewitt. Maybe they should be telling the Kublers, Savilles, Mitchells, Brydan Kleins and Todd Reids to work harder :confused:

I don't even like Tomic, but I think it's hilarious how pressed they are about the fact that he just doesn't give a shit :lol:

#3 ·
shockingly enough, i actually agree with you for once.

tomic hasn't had a good year considering the expectations but hes still the most promising aussie player by far. his attitude could use some improvement and so does his game. however, he still does have one of the most interesting games in the top 100 and as such is a great guy to watch.

would be interesting to see which players rafter and masur would like to play DC if not for tomic. they should STFU in my humble opinion.

#4 ·
If it were up to me, Tomug would be banned from tennis entirely and be forced to dispose of dog shit in public parks for a living.

#6 ·
I am with you.
Tomic is nineteen and he has achieved more than what Rafter or Masur had done by that age.
Tomic has had nothing but criticism from the Australian tennis clique, who can forget the ridiculous hoo hah when he wouldn't practice with 'king Hewiit'.
No wonder Tomic feels no debt to them or gives a monkeys how he represents his country.
Good luck to Tomic. Everyone has bad matches, his defeat against Roddick was pitiful but that is all it was. Nothing malicious or rude. Just a mental collapse from a boy who had reached the Wimbledon quarters in his teens.

#8 ·
I don't think it has anything to do with Hewitt, i think they have been getting along lately.

Q. Pat is obviously the captain, but are you the sort of guy who might get in Bernie's ear?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't know. You know, I've got along well with Bernie for the last couple of years now, and, you know, we have practiced quite a bit together, nearly at most tournaments we have played last couple years, or last year and a half or so. And then, you know, obviously we were the only two guys in the Olympics on the men's side, so we spent a lot of time together there, as well. In terms of all that, I think he does listen to me quite a bit. Even when he's spoken about things, you know, whether he was playing Roddick or, yeah, his game a little bit during the Olympics when he was down on confidence a little bit. So, yeah, that's what I'm there for. Been around for a long time now. Yeah, he had a disappointing loss here in the second round last year to Cilic, and then he came out and played pretty well in the Davis Cup against Roger and Stan. Yeah, hopefully he can get it together.

I think everyone knows that he wasn't that one that made the decision not to practice with Hewitt but his douche father.

#7 ·
They are facing Germany which has a good squad and Tomic as far as i see along with Hewitt has the best chance to win it for them, they cannot risk it with Ebden or Matosevic. Though Ebden is a good doubles players so i think he should be shoe in for doubles.

Reactions: Sanya
#19 ·
It's on clay anyway. They have no chance. It'd be a nice statement. Put Matosevic in with Hewitt and Hewitt/Guccione in doubles (or Matosevic, who seems shockingly good at dubs)
I don't think it'll hurt them and Rafter is totally right

#25 ·
Just saw the interview again, a few more points...

- still not where he should be, needs to get in and do the hard work
- a lot of growing, and mentioned the big d word, which was disgrace, not Davis Cup (apologies.....)
- sick and tired of tiptoeing around it (Bernard and his work ethic, performances) :eek:
- has to pull his socks up if he wants to be a part of this team (Davis Cup)

It was actually worse watching it the second time :eek::lol:

Masur now going on about funding, and they need to show results. Like Tomic is the only one being funded by Tennis Australia. I just don't get what they think.

#27 ·
I don't like Tomic at ALL but he's by far the most decent Aussie player after Hewitt, so they cannot afford to kick him out of DC if they want to win the next tie (hell, who's gonna play with him once Lleyton retires? the state of Australian tennis is just :eek: right now)

Does he lack effort? YES, so put him into a kinda boot camp during DC call-ups and work on that with the guy, the way he played that last set vs Roddick was worth of a fine :eek:

#29 ·
I think he will step up for Davis Cup. And MuzzahLovah don't use the word behave disgracefully and have Murray as a profile pic.

#31 ·
he is crashing, since he crashed his car.
I think he wants to drive away from his father as his guardian of everything.
They are right. Right now he no good.
I would not have him on my team until he straightens out.
He needs to figure out exactly how he wants to live his life. Until then your are lucky to get 50% of what he is capable of, and often much less.

#33 ·
I can't believe I'm defending this brat but I don't like Rafter and Masur getting on him so publicly. I get the feeling that the garbage Tomic spewed is him covering up the simple fact that he was on the big stage and froze. He can't admit he froze because we've seen him perform at main courts at other majors but that's what he did.

#35 ·
I think this is a case of Tennis Australia and the Aussie media having hyped Tomic up to the point that when he disappoints then they have to find fault.

Andy Roddick is doing what we have seen previously when a big name player reaches the end of their career they have one last big run.

I agree that Tomic should be disappointed with the third set but full credit has to go to Roddick for taking Tomic still developing game apart.

Come January the Aussie media will be all about how good Tomic is and how he is a big contender for the title.

#36 ·
I think this is a case of Tennis Australia and the Aussie media having hyped Tomic up to the point that when he disappoints then they have to find fault.

Andy Roddock is doing what we have seen previously when a big name player reaches the end of their career they have one last big run.

I agree that Tomic should be disappointed with the third set but full credit has to go to Roddock for taking Tomic still developing game apart.

Come January the Aussie media will be all about how good Tomic is and how he is a big contender for the title.
To that i will add ( and trust me i'm not defending the guy), it was a tough situation to be in for any player with the retirement announcement, home crowd etc. You can see you're not a top player with a lot of experience where it would be a tough situation. Could have handled it better no doubt, but you gotta cut the kid some slack. Instead of bashing him in the press, probably should have rang the guy up and let him know what he was in for BEFORE the fact.

#37 ·
The work ethic of Tomic must be one of the worst of a Top 100 players, maybe only rivaled by Gulbis'. It is beyond me how little Tomic seems to care despite of the great talent he possesses. The Ozzie Davis Cup team is better off without him!

#41 ·
Tomic doesn't deserve his place on the tour IMO. He is an awful image for the sport: terrible, punk attitude with little, to no respect for his peers. And tennis that really speaks volumes of putting in a shit effort. The fact that our own Aussies are slamming him says alot. Any punishment that is laid on him, he deserves it.

#42 ·
Let's not get carried away. It's not really up to anyone to decide if he deserves to compete or not. If we went down that road you could easily kick out half the players. Get's his ranking makes the main draw, that all that matters in that regard. He nor any player is in a popularity contest to decide if he should be allowed in or not.

That said, it's very clear Aussies were embarrassed by him on the world stage and hence the anger. You really shouldn't worry so much about that. No one outside Australia even knows the kid anyway.

#47 ·
No one here knows what was said to him privately, or how times it was said. If he's still thumbing his nose and laughing at them, he's left them no choice but to say something publicly. Otherwise, to the Australian tennis-following public, it looks like the Federation does nothing about it and/or condones his lack of interest. That's the problem with doing things privately.

How many times do you suppose this has happened:

Tennis Australia: We'll give you a WC to play a slam/put you in the DC team, but you have to improve your work ethic/training/fitness/etc in the future.

Tomic: Okay, I promise I will.

.... 4 months later ....

Tennis Australia: You didn't change one bit since last time! you said you'd improve! You're still our best prospect, so we'll get you a WC to play another slam/put you in the DC team, one more time... but you have to improve your work ethic/training/fitness/etc.

Tomic: Sorry, yes you're right. I will work harder.

.... 4 months later ....

Tennis Australia: I can't believe we're having this conversation again! You totally blew us off. Look you're pretty much our only prospect, so we'll get you a WC to play another slam/put you in the DC team, but you have to work harder and this time I mean it!

Tomic: you're absolutely right; I promise to do as you say. (
)

I mean at some point you have to follow through on some kind of consequences or else the behaviour will never change. YOu just look like a spineless loser who will keep giving in. :shrug:

(I realize he doesn't need the WCs anymore but I'm just trying to show a pattern here)

#53 ·
They'll all come crawling back once he starts sweeping the slams. They shouldn't have this debate publicly. Tomic is only 19. Why is he being used as a scape goat for their shortcomings? Doubt they'd have beaten Germany anyway so I'm sure Bernard isn't too bothered. HOWEVER I do agree that his attitude is pathetic. He needs a proper coach. Someone whose opinion he can respect wholly. I'd have said Roddick's soon to be ex-coach but seeing how he didn't dissuade Roddick from pusher mode I don't think that would be advisable.

#58 ·
They'll all come crawling back once he starts sweeping the slams. They shouldn't have this debate publicly. Tomic is only 19. Why is he being used as a scape goat for their shortcomings?
19? He's 20 in a month and has a history of 'lack of effort' since junior days if I remember right. And why should they keep quiet - should they wait that he turns 24 or 25 and gets out of top 100, like Young, before they do something about it? Could be too late then. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.