WWW US Open R4 Gasquet vs Ferrer - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WWW

Ferrer channels his inner Rafa, crushes Clownquet in 3 14 26.42%
Muggy Ferrer defeats Muggier Richy in 4 18 33.96%
Ferrer grinds Gasquet to powder in 5 3 5.66%
Sexy Richy bakes waffles, eats pizza, wins in 3 4 7.55%
Gasquet takes out future No. 4 in 4 9 16.98%
Richy's coke gives him energy to out push the pushing king in 5 1 1.89%
NID walkover for the vulture 4 7.55%
Richard to enlist help, eliminate Ferrer vis dodgy curry 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #46
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WWW US Open R4 Gasquet vs Ferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumour View Post
While I agree with the bolded, I am not so sure about the rest. I believe the main reason Lenders and Co. can't stand Ferrer is not because he can't beat the top 3 (especially in big events) but because he has proven for the past few years that he is indeed 'the best of the rest' rather than one of their flashy faves like Berdych or Tsonga. Obviously if one of these more powerful and, yes, talented players wakes up on the right side of the bed and has the stars align for him perfectly that day, he can blow Pics off the court regardless of what the Spaniard does. But the fact is most of these guys simply lack the other necessary qualities like discipline, patience and smarts that he has in abundance.

The irony is that I generally prefer skilled shotmaking players myself but that doesn't blind me to their faults. Other than JMDP who at least has a slam to his name, why should any of the rest of the second-tier guys command more of my respect than Ferrer? So what if Berdych and Tsonga have beaten Federer or Nadal en route to a slam final? They still lost (often dismally) when they got there. The fact is that many players fail to live up to their full potential; some even seem intent on squandering it (e.g. Gulbis). Pics, on the other hand, has not only made the most of his admittedly limited ability but far exceeded any expectations that were ever had of him at the outset in terms of what he could accomplish in his career overall. Even now, no one here is proclaiming him a future no. 1 and multiple slam winner

Whatever criticisms I have against any player, be they objective or subjective, one thing I will never claim is that he is 'overranked' or doesn't 'deserve' to be in a particular spot on the rankings. That is the weakest and most pathetic argument that can be levelled against any professional athlete IMO, particularly if he has been in or around the same place for a sustained period like Ferrer. Anyway, I could keep on going in this vein but I feel like I'm preaching to the converted whereas my words won't have any impact on the few dedicated haters Nevertheless, once again we have Ferrer facing a younger, talented player who's 'supposed' to be better than him and certainly entered the tour with more hype... Yet, barring some extraordinary circumstance, the final outcome of this match is in very little (if any) doubt.
Very well said.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #47
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Gasquet would have to blow Ferrer off the court and win in three otherwise Ferrer will just grind him down and win quite comfortably.
Actually, Ferrer does not need to do any grinding to beat Gasquet, if you look at their H2H, he beat him 7 times out of 8, and always in straight sets. It was more "stunning" than grinding.
http://tennis.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/21793-76512.html

But yeah, I guess you're right, Ferru's supposed to have a better physical condition and if things happen differently this time, then Gasquet will probably be disadvantaged by a long match.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #48
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
Actually, Ferrer does not need to do any grinding to beat Gasquet, if you look at their H2H, he beat him 7 times out of 8, and always in straight sets. It was more "stunning" than grinding.
http://tennis.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/21793-76512.html

But yeah, I guess you're right, Ferru's supposed to have a better physical condition and if things happen differently this time, then Gasquet will probably be disadvantaged by a long match.
Ferrer is always agressor in this match-up, he makes Richie running.

But actually if you were watching their matches in past you should know that level/style of play never meant anything here. Always one and the same scenario - Gasquet begins the match with no belief. Even when he returned from two breaks down in second set (AO-11) he still played passive and without passion. When he was better player this year in Rome, again he gave up without Ferrer even raising his game. It doesn`t matter how you play when you haven`t faith.

I just want him to believe and fight for his life as David always does.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
Ferrer is always agressor in this match-up, he makes Richie running.

But actually if you were watching their matches in past you should know that level/style of play never meant anything here. Always one and the same scenario - Gasquet begins the match with no belief. Even when he returned from two breaks down in second set (AO-11) he still played passive and without passion. When he was better player this year in Rome, again he gave up without Ferrer even raising his game. It doesn`t matter how you play when you haven`t faith.

I just want him to believe and fight for his life as David always does.
Like every single player against him.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #50
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
Like every single player against him.
Gasquet depends more on his mood than any other player in TOP-30, IMO. When he is going for his shots he can dictate a play. Actually he was agressor even with DP once this year, a plenty of times he played the first fiddle with Murray. No, sometimes he can.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #51
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

ferru will win, but richie has a chance here really

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #52
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute

Outcome of this match is pretty obvious, n°14 is not supposed to beat the n°5, especially this season when he has reached a slam SF (even if he was completely destroyed BTW).
Everybody will point out at Richard's weaknesses, praising the "hero" Ferrer like the new Messiah blah blah blah.
And the semifinal will come. Against Novak Djokovic.
And it will be total domination from Novak during 2h30, Ferrer making impossible mistakes, trying impossible shots, and getting ridiculed from baseline, looking like a mug. Looking like Richard next to Ferrer. Because there is the same level difference between the two.

Don't blame Richard for being only a "good" player, "weaker" than Ferrer. It's the just the law of sport. Everyone has a limit to his capacity, the "heart" or "willpower", "fighting spirit", whatever you call it, has its limits. Johnson wanted to win badly, but Gasquet outworked him quite easily. Hewitt is such a great warrior, but nowadays, hes losing all the big battles because he cant match the big guys physically. Gasquet will probably make a decent match, trying his best and competing during 2 sets before, most probably, collapsing physically. No reason for calling him a mug for that.
Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #53
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

I hate this misconcepted notion that Ferrer is talentless and won all ofhis matches because of pure hard work. In fact, Ferrer is a reasonably talented player. He has great footwork, speed, can attack with the forehand, and he's decent at net. (Yes he is great at net, don't believe me check his net points stats for all his latest matches. 13/17 against Hewitt, 17/26 against Sijsling, and 11/13 against Anderson. And he hit at least 29 winners in each of his matches here, which is more than Sijsling and Hewitt.)

And Ferrer is not always grinding and fighting through all his matches. Some days I have seen him in a lazy mood, hitting tons of errors.

Basically Ferrer is NOT a consistensy machine. He is a human player, and we should respect him for that.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #54
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of the match, I think Ferrer in 3. I would like for Richard to take a set but this is a terrible match up for him.

Oh and BTW, Mark Lenders, you keep saying "Vulture will get crushed" every prediction. The WWW threads are not for who you want to win. They are for who you will think will win.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #56
country flag Zelyony

Zelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond reputeZelyony has a reputation beyond repute

Hope Richard could find a way to win.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #57
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

ferrers balls are too big for gasqueens vagina.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #58
country flag Sophitia36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
I hate this misconcepted notion that Ferrer is talentless and won all ofhis matches because of pure hard work. In fact, Ferrer is a reasonably talented player. He has great footwork, speed, can attack with the forehand, and he's decent at net. (Yes he is great at net, don't believe me check his net points stats for all his latest matches. 13/17 against Hewitt, 17/26 against Sijsling, and 11/13 against Anderson. And he hit at least 29 winners in each of his matches here, which is more than Sijsling and Hewitt.)

And Ferrer is not always grinding and fighting through all his matches. Some days I have seen him in a lazy mood, hitting tons of errors.

Basically Ferrer is NOT a consistensy machine. He is a human player, and we should respect him for that.
Thank you

I just can't get why people call his game "uninspiring" or whatever. I love to watch players with amazing footwork. And yes, he's more than decent at the net, and he does try to hit winners whenever he can (contrary to what people always imply by saying he's a "pusher").

I also agree that he's not a "consistency machine." His longevity and the fact that he rarely fails to live up to his ranking give him this reputation of being very consistent. And when he's at his best, it's true that he gives this impression of just playing flawless tennis, while not being able to really step up the game if the player opposite is playing even better (perfect example is the French Open SF this year, he played very well but was just constantly outplayed by Nadal).
But truly, he isn't always very consistent. He wasn't in his match against Hewitt yesterday, there were times when he played quite poorly, and others when he played incredibly well. He certainly wasn't consistent during the Olympics.

Anyway, I do not usually select wilfully a "boring" player because I enjoy pretending he's exciting to watch. I do find his tennis very agreeable to watch. Now I don't expect everyone to feel the same, just as I don't expect everyone to think the players I don't like are boring. To each his own.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #59
country flag Sophitia36

Just found this interview (the full article is in French, sorry, no time to translate everything).
http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/us-op...43/story.shtml
Basically, Gasquet says Ferrer is a very bad match-up for him, he often finds him on his path, and he hates playing against him because he has no weaknesses. He says he'd rather play Federer than Ferrer, but that he cannot really say that to journalists, otherwise they think he's crazy.
He also talks about the one time he beat Ferrer, says he doesn't remember how he did that, and that it did not "unblock" him since he found himself "blocked" again in their subsequent encounters.
He also says that taking a good start in tomorrow's match will be the key if he wants to win.

So, yeah, he does not sound like someone who believes in his chances very much. But you never know.