WWW US Open R4 Gasquet vs Ferrer - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WWW

Ferrer channels his inner Rafa, crushes Clownquet in 3 14 26.42%
Muggy Ferrer defeats Muggier Richy in 4 18 33.96%
Ferrer grinds Gasquet to powder in 5 3 5.66%
Sexy Richy bakes waffles, eats pizza, wins in 3 4 7.55%
Gasquet takes out future No. 4 in 4 9 16.98%
Richy's coke gives him energy to out push the pushing king in 5 1 1.89%
NID walkover for the vulture 4 7.55%
Richard to enlist help, eliminate Ferrer vis dodgy curry 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 AM   #31
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WWW US Open R4 Gasquet vs Ferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
They can proclaim whatever they want, but the numbers will show the cruel (for them) reality, which is that Ferrer has never set foot in a Slam final or won anything above 500 despite his inflated ranking and cakewalk draws, and that's not about to change any time soon or ever really.
Making the QFs or better in all slams is significant in this mug era, most players crap themselves on at least one surface.

While Ferrer ranked 4th or 5th is a shame on the sport it's hardly the disgrace that it was when Robredo was 5th.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #32
country flag Tyson0712
Banned!

Tyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond reputeTyson0712 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They can proclaim whatever they want, but the numbers will show the cruel (for them) reality, which is that Ferrer has never set foot in a Slam final or won anything above 500 despite his inflated ranking and cakewalk draws, and that's not about to change any time soon or ever really.
agreed 100%

He is the highest seed in his section yet the least likely to challenge Djokovic or win the tournament. That is why is his ranking is so inflated, he looks completely out of place sitting above guys like Del-Potro who have slam winning talent.
Tyson0712 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #33
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFuria View Post
Making the QFs or better in all slams is significant in this mug era, most players crap themselves on at least one surface.
It's not significant because the field lacks depth. When you're a top 8 seed, you're extremely likely to get a very easy draw in early rounds. Not to mention the slowing down of hardcourts and grass made it much easier for pushers to thrive. He has reached QF at all Slams, but the closest he has ever been to making a real impact at a Slam was beating a clearly injured Nadal at AO.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #34
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not significant because the field lacks depth. When you're a top 8 seed, you're extremely likely to get a very easy draw in early rounds. Not to mention the slowing down of hardcourts and grass made it much easier for pushers to thrive. He has reached QF at all Slams, but the closest he has ever been to making a real impact at a Slam was beating a clearly injured Nadal at AO.
Well he's a product of a disgraceful era and surface homogenization, but of the countless pushers on the tour, only Murray has accomplished more, and Murray at least aims his shots.

But this is the same era where Nadal has won a grand slam, so that tells you all you need to know about the surfaces.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #35
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well he's a product of a disgraceful era and surface homogenization, but of the countless pushers on the tour, only Murray has accomplished more, and Murray at least aims his shots.

But this is the same era where Nadal has won a grand slam, so that tells you all you need to know about the surfaces.
Murray has a lot more talent and touch though. His game looks far more effortless and beautiful in a way. Ferrer epitomizes everything that's wrong with modern tennis: a pusher whose biggest weapon is the ability to run a marathon on a tennis court and can still get results because the courts are so slow he can keep retrieving every ball.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #36
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer will win this match.
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #37
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet can pull this off. He's long overdue a QF appearance here.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #38
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute

Richard has already done what he had to do, any other guys with the same ranking will have the same challenge so he should keep his chances for a top 10 ranking soon. Great tourny for him and he was the last frenchman standing, congrats to you Richie
Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #39
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it's probably too late for Gasquet to try to fulfill his potential. Losing winnable matching has become a massive habit that will be tough to shake off. Zero chance against Ferrer.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #40
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah... Or the sad reality that his H2H against Del Potro is 5 to 2 in his favour, right?
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #41
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
you never know whats going to happen with richard, I am going to say ferrer in 4 perhaps even 5.
Yep. I always see Richard Gasquet as a guy who has talent but who is just way too fragile mentally to beat someone like Ferrer. And the H2H is completely lopsided.
But at the same time, Gasquet is also the kind of guy who can unexpectedly start playing like he's Chuck Norris (I'm not going to say "Chuck Norris on crack )... He's inconsistent, he usually doesn't make it much further than this, but I think it would be a mistake to underestimate him...
Ferrer is not playing his best tennis at the moment, so, I still think he will win, but I'm not that sure it will be a cakewalk.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #42
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer to hand the CY4RS to Gasqy.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #43
country flag Rumour

Rumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Ferrer in 3, 4 max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Ferrer in 3 sets or 4. Depends how bad he's playing
Same here.

Quote:
Ferrer really is "the gatekeeper" separating mugs from talent, even more than he is the vulture, that so many people struggle with him is because the skill level is so pathetic nowadays. Instead of trying to beat him with tennis, these mugs try to outwork him, and the only guy capable of that is the freak of Mallorca.
While I agree with the bolded, I am not so sure about the rest. I believe the main reason Lenders and Co. can't stand Ferrer is not because he can't beat the top 3 (especially in big events) but because he has proven for the past few years that he is indeed 'the best of the rest' rather than one of their flashy faves like Berdych or Tsonga. Obviously if one of these more powerful and, yes, talented players wakes up on the right side of the bed and has the stars align for him perfectly that day, he can blow Pics off the court regardless of what the Spaniard does. But the fact is most of these guys simply lack the other necessary qualities like discipline, patience and smarts that he has in abundance.

The irony is that I generally prefer skilled shotmaking players myself but that doesn't blind me to their faults. Other than JMDP who at least has a slam to his name, why should any of the rest of the second-tier guys command more of my respect than Ferrer? So what if Berdych and Tsonga have beaten Federer or Nadal en route to a slam final? They still lost (often dismally) when they got there. The fact is that many players fail to live up to their full potential; some even seem intent on squandering it (e.g. Gulbis). Pics, on the other hand, has not only made the most of his admittedly limited ability but far exceeded any expectations that were ever had of him at the outset in terms of what he could accomplish in his career overall. Even now, no one here is proclaiming him a future no. 1 and multiple slam winner

Whatever criticisms I have against any player, be they objective or subjective, one thing I will never claim is that he is 'overranked' or doesn't 'deserve' to be in a particular spot on the rankings. That is the weakest and most pathetic argument that can be levelled against any professional athlete IMO, particularly if he has been in or around the same place for a sustained period like Ferrer. Anyway, I could keep on going in this vein but I feel like I'm preaching to the converted whereas my words won't have any impact on the few dedicated haters Nevertheless, once again we have Ferrer facing a younger, talented player who's 'supposed' to be better than him and certainly entered the tour with more hype... Yet, barring some extraordinary circumstance, the final outcome of this match is in very little (if any) doubt.

The only thing you owe the public is a good performance.
Humphrey Bogart [1899-1957]
Rumour is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #44
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet would have to blow Ferrer off the court and win in three otherwise Ferrer will just grind him down and win quite comfortably.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

The key for this match is if the frenchman can drive his backhand up the line consistently, ferrers forehand was misfiring big time against Hewitt.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote