Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar - Page 54 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will he return?

He will recover and win 2 or more slams 142 58.44%
He will recover, and win 1 more slam 44 18.11%
He will recover, but never win another slam 37 15.23%
He will recover, but never get back to top 10 3 1.23%
He will never play another match again 17 7.00%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #796
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post

Canceled a tournament two weeks before the start but already training. Rafito even left his credibility gaining habits. Desperate times, demand desperate measures
this is a bit dissapointing, love Rafa, but it certainly does seem not very genuine excuse, opting out of a grand slam weeks early and then (still weeks early) practicing on clay courts..

not really proud of him for this at all, not cool. if he's fit enough to practice on clay then its a bit of a baby move to not play Australia. last time I checked players weren't allowed to opt out of tournaments just because they thought they were rusty? does ATP not implement anything anymore?
I was totally ok with it when he said it was a stomach problem and that his practice would not be enough in time, but its still weeks away from Australia and he's practicing on clay
ughhh. not pretty thing to see Nadal

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #797
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
this is a bit dissapointing, love Rafa, but it certainly does seem not very genuine excuse, opting out of a grand slam weeks early and then (still weeks early) practicing on clay courts..

not really proud of him for this at all, not cool. if he's fit enough to practice on clay then its a bit of a baby move to not play Australia. last time I checked players weren't allowed to opt out of tournaments just because they thought they were rusty? does ATP not implement anything anymore?
I was totally ok with it when he said it was a stomach problem and that his practice would not be enough in time, but its still weeks away from Australia and he's practicing on clay
Well the explanation appears to still a practicing one in that he had to take a 10 day break in practicing - today was his first day on court since Dec 20. Given that he hasn't played a match since June and then had a big break in practice (in professional terms a 10-11 day break of nothing but rest is a long time) I can see that he'd be more wary of heading straight into a slam. He'd have to either play Kooyong or a tournament the week before a slam, something he doesn't normally do. Then the prospect of playing 3 straight weeks, with best of 5 matches in extreme heat. All in all not what the doctor ordered for his knees. Added to that his knees are not 100% and Abu Dhabi was meant to test it in match like conditions against top opponents.

Travelling to Australia and risking putting his recovery back probably just didn't add up in the end. If he hadn't had the virus I think he'd have played Abu Dhabi at least and then decided how ready the knee was. Djokovic said in Abu Dhabi that he'd been in contact with Nadal the week before and they'd discussed setting up a practice session. I doubt he'd be doing that if he never intended to come. Think Australia was always contingent on how first few matches in Abu Dhabi and/or Doha went - that couldn't happen due to virus - hence pulled out of it all.

End result is the same - not yet ready for Australia. Return will be on clay. May as well practice on that. Agree it's confusing and not well handled though.

In other Nadal news, he's had a haircut - ringing in the New Year with grapes for good luck (which he needs!):

Ash86 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #798
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

he suddenly looks very young with that haircut!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #799
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is fading fast. If he doesn't step it up in the clay season and win the FO he will be close to done. And I am talking in terms of slams here. Can't see him winning a slam again if he doesn't win the FO this year. Djokovic will be a huge threat there.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #800
country flag Hugh Jaas

Hugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond reputeHugh Jaas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Good luck to Nadal in 2013 and I wish him a speedy recovery.
Hugh Jaas is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #801
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the AO organizers love seeing him out on a tennis court practicing after he's just withdrawn from their tournament.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #802
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

He should just have said slowasfuck hard courts do my knees/joints in, I wanna prolong my career. If they fine him so frigging what.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #803
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

Never in doubt that Nadal wasn't sick. Only the blindest of Nadulltards would buy such a weak excuse. The guy simple didn't want to get thrashed by some mug like Cilic. He won't return until the clay so he can avoid looking like an amateur player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #804
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Well the explanation appears to still a practicing one in that he had to take a 10 day break in practicing - today was his first day on court since Dec 20. Given that he hasn't played a match since June and then had a big break in practice (in professional terms a 10-11 day break of nothing but rest is a long time) I can see that he'd be more wary of heading straight into a slam. He'd have to either play Kooyong or a tournament the week before a slam, something he doesn't normally do. Then the prospect of playing 3 straight weeks, with best of 5 matches in extreme heat. All in all not what the doctor ordered for his knees. Added to that his knees are not 100% and Abu Dhabi was meant to test it in match like conditions against top opponents.

Travelling to Australia and risking putting his recovery back probably just didn't add up in the end. If he hadn't had the virus I think he'd have played Abu Dhabi at least and then decided how ready the knee was. Djokovic said in Abu Dhabi that he'd been in contact with Nadal the week before and they'd discussed setting up a practice session. I doubt he'd be doing that if he never intended to come. Think Australia was always contingent on how first few matches in Abu Dhabi and/or Doha went - that couldn't happen due to virus - hence pulled out of it all.

End result is the same - not yet ready for Australia. Return will be on clay. May as well practice on that. Agree it's confusing and not well handled though.

In other Nadal news, he's had a haircut - ringing in the New Year with grapes for good luck (which he needs!):

I get it, that he doesn't want to risk both his physical well being and/or perception to other players by playing an event he thinks he's not ready for, but practicing on clay with still lots of days until the Australian Open just is really tacky. I'm all for Nadal prolonging his career or starting the season out on clay so he can better find his mojo BUT at some point you do have to think that a player has an obligation to follow the standards of the tour rather than his own lackadaisical ever changing schedule. it just is frustrating, the ATP again and again makes big threats of fines and such if players do not play a mandatory event yet Nadal can opt out of tournaments just by saying he feels he won't have enough practice time? seems strange
love Rafa and I can't for him to come back, but whoever's idea it was to practice on clay courts and allow it to come out to the media was really dumb. certainly isn't graceful move towards Australia and all the fans who bought tickets way in advance hoping he would play

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #805
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
He should just have said slowasfuck hard courts do my knees/joints in, I wanna prolong my career. If they fine him so frigging what.
Speed up the courts then everyone wins.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #806
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post

not really proud of him for this at all, not cool. if he's fit enough to practice on clay then its a bit of a baby move to not play Australia. last time I checked players weren't allowed to opt out of tournaments just because they thought they were rusty? does ATP not implement anything anymore? I was totally ok with it when he said it was a stomach problem and that his practice would not be enough in time, but its still weeks away from Australia and he's practicing on clay
The only punishment for Nadal will be loss of eligibility to share the bonus pool, which I don't think he will lose sleep over. He can play an exho immediately after AO and gain more money that way than any fine will take from him.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #807
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Is it so hard to explain things right?!

Usually when something doesn't sound right then it isn't. Why can't the nadal camp for once say things as they are? They are always so mysterious.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #808
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

This Rosol, what a guy!
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #809
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like he will only play on clay and grass(?) from now on. Coming up with 1000 different excuses to avoid the HC tournaments.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #810
country flag Jaffas85

Jaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he'll likely return to the tour during the February 'South American clay court swing'.

Since he's already committed to Acapulco (which doesn't start until the end of February) I think he'll probably start back at the 250 clay court tournament in Sao Paolo in mid February (ideal as it's a small clay court tournament with a relatively weak field).

Playing those two clay court tournaments would then prepare him for Indian Wells and Miami in March.
Jaffas85 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread