Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #61
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
when and why did this rule change?

do players still get zero pointers for failing to fulfil 500 requirements or what?
yes, for the top-30 if they don't play 4 of them in the calendar year (Monte-Carlo is included), and for every player if they withdraw without respecting the rule : few of the top-30 get them though, mostly the top-4 guys who don't need them, or Isner, Fish or Roddick because they prefer staying in the US or because of the Olympics or whatever.

The reason why it changed ?

Two possibilities :
- the main one : the Olympics were a special optional tournament who could not be included in the commitment and was earnt much more than ATP250 tournaments. If the rule had stayed the same, it was a threat for ATP250 tournaments.
- the other one : the previous rule was tough to understand and sometimes looked weird, even though they might have gone a bit too far in the opposite direction.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #62
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

Tsonga should now play
Metz 250
Malaysia 250
Mughai Masters 1000
Stockholm 250
Valencia 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #63
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
Of course everyone is thinking of Ferrer immediately...
Ferrer has been very good in ATP500 tournaments for 2 years, also in Davis cup, and is clearly not the player at stake here.

I think people have difficulty to realize that Tsonga is not that far above the players behind him and also that Ferrer has become a gimmick-thing on this board.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #64
country flag Hian-GOAT
Banned!

Hian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Another Vulture Star to come
Hian-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #65
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Tsonga should now play
Metz 250
Malaysia 250
Mughai Masters 1000
Stockholm 250
Valencia 500
he didn't enter Kuala, the rest is like that although he's not confirmed in Valencia. He might not play Valencia as Bercy is next week and then it's the WTF ... because of that stupid removal of the week between the WTF and Bercy ... which it seems to me that Roddick is partly responsible of by the way : he was the only one I heard who openly asked it (because he was boring in London and wanted to go back to the US). And he will retire before its application

By the way, the calendar change also included a diminution of the number of weeks for small ATP250 tournaments, which means that it will be tougher to do what Tipsy did in the end of last year.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #66
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

[Lenders]
Disgusting vulture he is, this Tsonga.
[/Lenders]

Good for the small tournaments if more guys like Tsonga wants to play them. I'm not sure Tsonga's point-earning strategy is very logical, but he does what he wants obviously.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #67
country flag your_valentine

your_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond reputeyour_valentine has a reputation beyond repute

What a joke he is.
your_valentine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #68
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I think people have difficulty to realize that Tsonga is not that far above the players behind him and also that Ferrer has become a gimmick-thing on this board.
This. He's not concerned about Ferrer. He's concerned about guys directly outside top 8 like Isner and Tipsarevic.

Tipsarevic has made an artform out of vulturing last year but hardly gets any s**t for it, by the way.
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #69
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellis_lv View Post
Tipsarevic has made an artform out of vulturing last year but hardly gets any s**t for it, by the way.
Why should he? This time last year Tipsy was celebrating entering top 20 for the first time in his career. Tsonga on the other hand has been a top 10 player for nearly four years now, surely there is a bit of difference there
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #70
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope this is not serious He's going through a difficult moment physically and mentally, and his head is probably all over the place. I'm sure he will change his mind on this matter. What he must do is focus on being in top form for Slam events and make deep runs there. Getting to #5 or even higher by beating a collection of mugs in unstacked 250/500 events would only feel like a hollow achievement.

That said, it he wants to come to Estoril next year, he's welcome.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 08-31-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #71
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Lenders favourites one by one slip to Ferrer's level or lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #72
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he is #8 in the race right now. He has some room to stay in the top 12 but he definetly has to play better. The last two months have been very bad
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #73
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

One less player on Lender's favourite player list in 3...2...1...
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #74
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

"I must become a vulture".

No, you need to get a brain, just like Monfils. What's wrong with these black players (no racism intended)?

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #75
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
I really hope this is not serious He's going through a difficult moment physically and mentally, and his head is probably all over the place. I'm sure he will change his mind on this matter. What he must do is focus on being in top form for Slam events and make deep runs there. Getting to #5 or even higher by beating a collection of mugs in unstacked 250/500 events would only feel like a hollow achievement.

That said, it he wants to come to Estoril next year, he's welcome.
The unsaid part in all this ( nor would you expect him to say it) is that being in the top 10 strikes all kinds of bonus in endorsement contracts, appearance fees etc. So if he has to play smaller tournaments the rest of the year to keep the income rolling in while he can, probably the smart decision.

The middle tier below the top guys have to think about maximizing income while they can. The top guys are already set so dont really have to give it a thought.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote