Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #46
country flag AZ-12

AZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ-12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

If dropping his ranking and thereby meeting the top 4 before the quarters is the danger Tsonga has in mind, then there is really no need to play more 250-tournaments. He has a huge margin as it is, considering that 9-12 goes against 5-8 in the round before the quarters. Thus he has to drop to place 13 to run that risk. At the moment he has more than twice as much points as Almagro on place 12. To make my point even more obvious: Winning all 6 of the 250-tournaments give you no more than 1500 points, and both Monaco at place 11 and Almagro at place 12 is more than 2000 points behind him. He might want to make it to the tour final though, which is a harder goal to achieve. But it is still more than 1500 points that Tipsarevic at number 9 needs to overtake him, which he surely won't get from the 250-tournaments. I think the players are decieving themselves if they think that playing more small tournaments is the way to achieve success. It might be a good idea for a top player to play small events if he is physically fresh and in need of match competition. Not otherwise.

Last edited by AZ-12 : 08-31-2012 at 07:47 AM.
AZ-12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #47
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

JoWillie the Vulture
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #48
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I know who he should talk to - Ferrer .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
when and why did this rule change?

do players still get zero pointers for failing to fulfil 500 requirements or what?
You still get the 0-pointer but you can count more 250s if you do fulfill your 500 req.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #49
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
There isn't any difference between being ranked 5 or 8. If Tsonga means that he wants to get into top 4, then he is delusional. Either way, he is in the wrong.
Exactly.
He won't get into top 4 by winning a bunch of 250s
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Every day I'm vulturin'
Party Vulture in the house tonight, everybody just have a good time. And we gonna make you lose your mind (ahem, Lenders), we just wanna see you...... VULTURE! *the sick beat*

We get money, don't be mad... Now stop. Hatin' is bad.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #51
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
We get money, don't be mad... Now stop. Hatin' is bad.
Ain't that the truth
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #52
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course everyone is thinking of Ferrer immediately...

So, I don't know... Where's the problem? I mean, I don't see anything unfair there.
If you want to start implying that so-called "vultures" like Ferrer are unfairly ranked higher than you, maybe you would need to be better than them in big events first? Otherwise I see absolutely no reason to complain...
If Ferrer, who is BTW older than Tsonga, can play more tournaments and still do just as well as Tsonga in the bigger tournaments, then he's a better player. The end.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #53
country flag sera$un

sera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond reputesera$un has a reputation beyond repute

sera$un is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #54
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera$un View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #55
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
JoWillie the Vulture
Jo-Vulture Tsonga
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Jo-Vultured* Tsonga

The name we give him when he successfully vultures a 250 tournament.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #57
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

I had not opened this thread but it's amazing that so many people missed what he meant

Tsonga meant the top-8 seeds and the WTF and he meant especially Tipsarevic (he said his name to the French media), maybe Isner, the guys who are a little bit behind him but not that far in the Race (Tipsarevic is 340 points behind him in the Race, Isner 540, Almagro 460, Monaco 635) and who can win a lot of ATP250 tournaments "where nobody's there" (that's what he said when he spoke about Tipsarevic).

Ferrer is well ahead of him in the Race (1315 points) and is not his concern.

Look at Tipsarevic and in a lesser extent Isner's ranking points and it's clear that they get a lot of points in small tournaments ! Tipsy was esp. successful last year in fall indoor season and this year also was on summer clay, both times "when none of the top-guys was there".

When he says "it's tough because you seldom get reward when you meet the top-guys", he means that even when he or Berdych improves, as they did in last two years, the guys on top still beat them most of the time (Del Potro can also say that although he has more potential than Tsonga and Berdych and was happy enough to win a slam), as it happened for him against Fed in the end of last year, against Djokovic for a few points in Roland-Garros or against Murray in Wimbledon. Ash86 got it, I'm not surprised she's the one

He's not depressed, he just explains why he will play a long indoor season ; as for last week in Winston Salem, the real reason was that he had not been able to play in Toronto (well, a first round against Chardy) and Cincy and he needed a tournament to prepare the US Open.

Last edited by duong : 08-31-2012 at 01:33 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #58
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Pretty sure being tired and losing 2nd round in the US Open does more to damage your ranking than anything, Tsonga.
What is he tired of ?

not of playing much this summer, he only played the Olympics ! which were a very tiring week, yes.

After that, he got injured and it may have affected his preparation but not playing too much ... contrary to Tipsarevic or Isner or Haas or Monaco or Cilic for instance.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #59
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by romismak View Post
since this season for top guys - i think top 30 not sure they can count besides slams, Masters and WTF 6 best other tournaments - that means even 6x250 if you don´t do much at 500s
yes that's the rule : since this year, for top-30 guys, as long as they play 4 ATP500 tournaments or Monte-Carlo in the calendar year, they can count 6 ATP250 results if they're better than their ATP500 results, which was impossible last year.

For instance at the moment, Tipsy counts 6 ATP250 results : 4 wins and two finals, 1300 points. It was impossible last year, Tipsy would have 400 less points with last year's rule.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #60
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Thanks.
But when I look at this ranking breakdown, I'm seeing that he has already maximised all his points for the 250s...he won 3 of them. He isn't going to gain any more pints for playing or winning more of them ATM.
2 of them were fall indoor tournaments, that's the point : he will play them again, he thinks he has to play them to ensure his top-8 seed and WTF participation, that's what he means.