Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

This is basically what he said in his interview, with those rules even 6x250 can be counted, i think he meant Ferrer for example.

He must play those events, because otherwise guys who play those smaller events can surpass him in ranking and if go down in ranking he can play top guys sooner like R16- i think he wants to stay in top 8 to have his own quarter but interresint point of view from his perspective, that he needs to play those 250s to have points, he can´t rest like Federer for example, he can´t take this luxury.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...358649102.html

Copy of last part of interview

Do you feel like you really do have to play every week? I mean, it's sort of your choice not to play certain weeks now. Like you didn't have to play last week, right?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: If I want to have ‑‑ you always ask me about my ranking and if you're 4 or 5, but to be at this rank I have to be competitive with the other guy who play all week. And the new rules of the ATP where there is like six tournaments, 250, who count, it's very bad for me. Because all the player who all play this tournament pass me if I don't play them. So I have to play.

Q. In a slam, 127 players go home and lose and one wins. Dealing with defeat is important. How do you deal with your losses? Do some stay longer than others. How do you deal with it?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I always try to keep my head up and practice a lot. When I'm angry with me, I just practice a lot, yeah.

Q. Can you blame it on your coach?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: What?

Q. Can you blame it on your coach?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, sometimes I do it. (Laughter.)

Q. You came in here as the No. 5 men's seed. Obviously Djokovic, Federer, Murray, big three, is there a big gap at this point between those three and everybody else, in your opinion? Or it just seems that way to the laymen, a big talent gap between the top three and everybody else.

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: (Through translation.) Yeah, I think for the moment there is a big difference. The difference is they win tournaments and not the others. (Smiling.) What is difficult here also is with that, you ‑‑ I forget the word. (Through translation.) You never, you know ‑‑ it's tough to get reward when you play with this guy, you know. So I work, you know, a lot hard every week. I give a lot of myself every day. I never get rewards. That's why sometimes it's tough.

Q. Federer talks sometimes about how important it is to take vacations off the court just to get himself mentally ready for the big tournaments. Do you feel you do enough of that?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Oh, I feel I don't have enough. But like I said before, I have to play because I'm not Federer, not Djokovic, and if I want keep my ranking and not play these guys in round of 16, you know, I have to play these tournament.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

Tsonga has no idea how tennis works.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: I must play more smaller tournaments if i want to keep my ranking

Man, you are not Federer or Djokovic, but you are Tsonga, one of the 7-8 greatest player for last few years.

This thread will have the same speach as one about Berdych and confidence. And someone will write about vulturing too for sure.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga: "I must become vulture"

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the answer before that more revealing: "The difference is they win tournaments and not the others. (Smiling.) What is difficult here also is with that, you ‑‑ I forget the word. (Through translation.) You never, you know ‑‑ it's tough to get reward when you play with this guy, you know. So I work, you know, a lot hard every week. I give a lot of myself every day. I never get rewards. That's why sometimes it's tough."

His and Berdych's comments display a mental defeat. They work really hard, are amazing players, but struggle to even make Masters SFs and Fs, let alone win them. A QF ceiling has been placed on them by the top 4 - so they work hard, but don't get the big titles. I don't get it though - he's good enough to beat the top 4 - certainly in best of 3. Needs to have more belief in his talent rather than feeling sorry for himself that the top 4 do so well.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
country flag Travod

Travod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond repute

Reading it in his choppy English makes me feel really sad for him, like he's depressed ;________;
Travod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
His and Berdych's comments display a mental defeat. They work really hard, are amazing players, but struggle to even make Masters SFs and Fs, let alone win them. A QF ceiling has been placed on them by the top 4 - so they work hard, but don't get the big titles. I don't get it though - he's good enough to beat the top 4 - certainly in best of 3. Needs to have more belief in his talent rather than feeling sorry for himself that the top 4 do so well.
And I don't get why it's the talk about top 4 all the time, Tsonga was losing this year also to Nishikori, Haas, Del Potro, Nalbandian, Isner, Simon, Dolgo... that doesn't sound to me like someone who has a problem only against the top
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
country flag Redeyz

Redeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga just has to be more consistent, especially with his serve. The thing about the French players that gets on my nerves is how they seem to play so far back on hard courts, like they are play on clay. A big guy with a good forehand should not be off the base line. This maddening type of tennis is the hallmark of Monfils.
Redeyz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
country flag MaratandMilos

MaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure being tired and losing 2nd round in the US Open does more to damage your ranking than anything, Tsonga.
MaratandMilos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

I can see where he is coming from. Right now, the only one of the top guys who hasn't won a slam and therefore is the best quarter to have when all 4 are present... that's Murray. And he has the worst record against Murray than he does against any of the top guys. So when he does have a good run he still end up with a really tough match, even when he's lucky with the draw at like Wimbledon. So having this sort of summer, going straight from the olympics to the hard courts and then injuring himself on the fire hydrant and then losing a tough match against Isner last week.

I hope he bucks up and wins a few tourneys in France and Asia that coming up.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond repute

does ATP have the same rules as WTA - if you are top10 at the end of the year, you can only play two MM tournament?
WISHLIST Robby GINEPRI Blaž KAVČIČ Michael LLODRA Feliciano LOPEZ Tomas BERDYCH Martin KLIZAN Julien BENNETEAU Novak DJOKOVIC Dmitry TURSUNOV Janko TIPSAREVIC Stanislas WAWRINKA Norbert GOMBOS Mikhail YOUZHNY Thomaz BELLUCCI Eduardo SCHWANK Benoit PAIRE Gilles MULLER Juan Martin del POTRO John ISNER Santiago GIRALDO Philipp PETZSCHNER Gilles SIMON Mardy FISH Grigor DIMITROV Florian MAYER
Quote:
HATE LIST Rafael NADAL Andy MURRAY Lleyton HEWITT Marcos BAGHDATIS Bernard TOMIC Fernando VERDASCO Dominic THIEM Nikolay DAVYDENKO Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV Fabio FOGNINI Borna CORIC Gael MONFILS Tommy HAAS Richard GASQUET Carlos BERLOCQ Ernests GULBIS Albert MONTANES Paolo LORENZI Vasek POSPISIL
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't any difference between being ranked 5 or 8. If Tsonga means that he wants to get into top 4, then he is delusional. Either way, he is in the wrong.

Federer's peak is supposedly in 2004-2007, but his best grass match was WI 2009 final, his best hard court match was WTF 2010 final, and his best clay match was RG 2011 SF

Oldgassi combined 30-17 H2H against weak era clowns: Roddick, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Safin, Haas, Coria, Ljubicic, Blake, but any problem cannot be found? GOAT argument
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jo Vulture Tsonga
nole_no1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
There isn't any difference between being ranked 5 or 8. If Tsonga means that he wants to get into top 4, then he is delusional. Either way, he is in the wrong.
He was asked why he played last week/so much in general, and he said he has to play a lot to keep his ranking up, or else he'll face the top 4 guys before the quarterfinals.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, yeah right. Ferrer has earned more points than him in slams.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote