Mens Tennis Forums banner

how did pimpim survive in year 2000-02?

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Aleksa's Laydee 
#1 ·
I was checking pimpim's activity in ATPtennis.com, and found out that he didn't get much prize money in the first two years after he turned pro. A big guy like him needs a lot of food adn he had to pay air tickets and many other stuff. so how did he survive with this little money? Did he ever do other job like robbing a bank or begging for money on the street? ok I know that I'm boring and a little bit crazy and hey, I'm a woman!

#2 ·
He might ask sponsors for some help. Paradorn had the same story. At first his father had to quit his job and used a lot of money. He asked Thai Airways for free tickets and then some other local companies as well. But he got rejected so many times. And when he became this famous, almost every companies that said no to him offer him a big big deal. SO you have to pay on your own first and when you are well-known , it will be a lot easier.

#5 ·
works in a bank eh...how did you know that lol

#7 ·
:haha: oi lleyton, you have too much money gimme some...i like it lol

#8 · (Edited)
:lol: I feel like I have started a rumour! :haha:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/Highlights/default.asp?playernumber=J194

No relation to 2002 Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson...Father Leif was a former Davis Cup player for Sweden in 1974 and also had a successful professional career...Got his son started in tennis at age five...Mother, Margareta, works in a bank...Born in Lund he spent all his childhood in Sodertalje, same hometown as former No. 1 and 11-time Grand Slam champion Bjorn Borg...At age 14-15 remembers hitting with Borg at a tennis clinic when he was an up-and-comer... Goes by nickname "Pim-Pim"...Older brother Niclas couldn't say Joachim as a young boy and used to call his brother "Joa-pim"...The name stuck and became Pim-Pim, which is also a well-known hard candy in Sweden...Finished as No. 3 junior in world in 2000 and No. 8 in 1999...Enjoys playing indoors and on fast surfaces...Considers his serve best shot.
Please dont tell others tho :lol: I feel kinda bad that ATP actually put her name up. I just don't wish for her to get caught up in the fame, and especially the bad aspects of fame [something like swedish paparazzi, lol, etc]as her son becomes more popular. I think confidentiality and privacy of people is important and so I never posted that detail, about his mom, in the biography on my site,.. but I guess that comes from my training as Anthropologist, people first, then research, money etc.

#10 ·
Espn recently did a story on how lesser known athletes make ends meet. They don't specifically mention Pim Pim, but there's a story about another tennis player, Matias Boeker. Anyway, it gives you an idea of what it's like to play on the Challenger Circuit. The link is: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/index

You have to click on the story and then a separate window will pop up. The story is called "A Challenging Existance".

enjoy :)

#12 ·
Sharon said:
wow... its quite a stuggle for players playing challengers :(
maybe thats how pimpim got by then
my poor alex :hug: :sad: he has a struggle too

#15 ·
i think they're making a comparison between the two beacuse they have very similar styles of play: big serve, big forehand, backhands that need to improve... :)

#18 ·
Canuck_Chick said:
Espn recently did a story on how lesser known athletes make ends meet. They don't specifically mention Pim Pim, but there's a story about another tennis player, Matias Boeker. Anyway, it gives you an idea of what it's like to play on the Challenger Circuit. The link is: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/index

You have to click on the story and then a separate window will pop up. The story is called "A Challenging Existance".

enjoy :)
Thanks for the link:hug:
That story is so sad :sad: a lot of lower ranked players have said similar things to that...getting no sponsors, paying for everything, sleeping in youth hostels...(ok so that wasn't in the video but yeah...lol)

#19 ·
Pina said:
Thanks for the link Canuck_Chick!
Newfound note: Pimpim is called "Euro Roddick" by ESPN.
:yeah: ******* :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.