what's the record for number of matches - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's the record for number of matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
14 is probably out of reach given that the tournament is already past halfway in terms of matches, but 9 in first round is amazing. you would expect more of such matches when conditions change rapidly and with rain delays but that hasn't really been the case.
Well, we are one ahead of schedule. When the record was set 8 av the 14 came in R1. And as for "past halfway", a slam consists of 127 matches, 65 of which is played. That is 51,18%. Above half, yes, but not by much.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #32
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
Tipsy was #7. Thanks for the stats Mr. StatRacket
Cheers My peak days (stat wise) are well and truly over but I keep my ranking up with the occasional burst of form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Well, we are one ahead of schedule. When the record was set 8 av the 14 came in R1. And as for "past halfway", a slam consists of 127 matches, 65 of which is played. That is 51,18%. Above half, yes, but not by much.
60% of the way (9 of 15) and only 51.2% of matches played. But 0-2 comebacks are more likely in R1 as higher ranked players often take a set or two to get used to the conditions.
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
Cheers My peak days (stat wise) are well and truly over but I keep my ranking up with the occasional burst of form.

60% of the way (9 of 15) and only 51.2% of matches played. But 0-2 comebacks are more likely in R1 as higher ranked players often take a set or two to get used to the conditions.
Do you have a stat showing how many % of 0-2 slam comebacks occur in the 1st round? You seem to have everything else I am very impressed!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you have a stat showing how many % of 0-2 slam comebacks occur in the 1st round? You seem to have everything else I am very impressed!
I got this stat by an old calculation and a quick update... But I'll give you something to chew on with the stats I've got (too busy with uni to update my database right now).

Between 2000 and Washington 2011, there were 6063 best of 5 set matches (excluding Davis Cup). Of these 246 (4.1%) were 0-2 comebacks. 127 (51.6%) of these comebacks occurred in the first round of a Grand Slam despite only 49.6% being first round matches (remember Masters Series finals were best of five for a lot of the period.

Another interesting thing is that LLWWW five set matches are the most common type when it goes to five:

http://statracket.net/?view=articles/setscores2.html
Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #35
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Really cool info! I was unaware LLWWW was the most common result for a 5-setter. It's not just this week, then. WWLLW is not that far behind, though, so a little early to bet on someone to win after LLWW.

And we can also conclude that the overrepresentation of 0-2 comebacks are not that great that is should prevent a new record being set. I still don't expect one, though. My guess is we'll finish on 12.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
country flag n8

Cheers.

Yeah, chances are we'll 'only' see 11-12 0-2 comebacks (as 2.5 more is the expected value). As an analogy, just because heads comes up 15 of 20 times on a fair coin, we still only expect 10 on average in the next 20 tosses.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #37
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Andujar hopefully cooking up another one.
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I got this stat by an old calculation and a quick update... But I'll give you something to chew on with the stats I've got (too busy with uni to update my database right now).

Between 2000 and Washington 2011, there were 6063 best of 5 set matches (excluding Davis Cup). Of these 246 (4.1%) were 0-2 comebacks. 127 (51.6%) of these comebacks occurred in the first round of a Grand Slam despite only 49.6% being first round matches (remember Masters Series finals were best of five for a lot of the period.

Another interesting thing is that LLWWW five set matches are the most common type when it goes to five:

http://statracket.net/?view=articles/setscores2.html
very interesting, thanks!!
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

does the the won/lost % after winning/losing 1st set in the ATP player's profile include slams/davis cup?

do you have the 2 set version: won/lost % after being up/down 2 set at slams/davis cup ?

Last edited by motorhead : 08-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

andujar to make it 10
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Have a feeling Kolya delivering another
Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #42
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
fuck off andujar. that's what you get when you count on one spaniard
Andujar is not out of it, serving at 5-6 in the 5th.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
country flag samanosuke

Quote:
Andujar is not out of it, serving at 5-6 in the 5th.
that's like he is out already
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #44
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

Andujaaar noooo, but Fish is on his way to turn out his match vs Nikolay.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #45
country flag Beta2k

Beta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But 0-2 comebacks are more likely in R1 as higher ranked players often take a set or two to get used to the conditions.
which stat states that?
i think that 0-2 comebacks happen mostly in Round 1 because most matches are played in Round 1
Beta2k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote