Balls: difference between men and women - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
country flag tippy4

tippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond reputetippy4 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Balls: difference between men and women

One of the comms mentioned that men and women use different balls at the USO; men use the heavier ones which fluff up more and slows down the game.

Did a little googling and found this:

Quote:
Q. A friend of mine had a Golf magazine and it stated that maybe the PGA needs to make the pro golfers use a different ball than the common player due to the distances a pro golfer can hit a normal golf ball. The article stated that in Tennis it is a well known fact that the pro tournaments use a different ball than what the common player would use because the pros would hit the normal ball much to fast. Is this true?

A. No. This is false.

Sometimes the women use a different (regular duty felt) ball than do the men (extra duty felt) during hard court tournaments. In fact, this occurs at the US Open. This is designed to “speed up” the women’s game and to “slow down” the men’s game, if only marginally. But, no… the balls that professional players use in tournaments can be purchased over the counter.

Q. Recently, I was in an argument with my neighbor because he said the tennis balls for women's matches at the US Open were actually lighter and smaller. He said that it was to help "speed" the play of the ball and the matches. Is this true? - I have watched many professional matches and I have never heard that.

A. I am not sure that I would categorize the balls as being lighter or smaller, but your neighbor is generally correct. The women use regular duty felt balls while the men play with extra-duty felt during the US Open. If his facts are a little off, at least his reasoning is accurate. This selection was designed to increase the ball speed in women’s game and to slow down the velocity of the balls in the men’s game.
Source: http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Gam...placing_Balls/

How long has this practice been going on? Watched tennis for nearly 30 years and did not know this.
Does the same thing occur at the Aus Open?
tippy4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balls: difference between men and women

Old news they've been slowing down the game since 2001.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
country flag Nixer

Nixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond repute

That's an epic thread title I expected slightly different content.
Nixer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
country flag bleu_cheese

bleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I suppose it is cheaper to slow down the game with the balls than the surface.

Gasquet-Gulbis-Cilic-Dolgopolov-Stebe-Glasspool
Haase-Del Potro-Wawrinka-Kavcic-Giraldo-Berankis
bleu_cheese is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I just assumed they used the exact same balls. I'm guessing in mixed doubles they use ladies' balls.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Epic thread title.

I didn't know they're using different balls for men and women. Guess you learn something every day.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
country flag Andy1402

Andy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond repute

wow..what a title!! This is gonna get a billion views..

-Jay Z
Andy1402 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
Balls: difference between men and women
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

And what did you think this thread was about?
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder that some have the impression that e.g. Serena would do well in the men's game. If they play with lighter balls, her shots will fly faster.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
No wonder that some have the impression that e.g. Serena would do well in the men's game. If they play with lighter balls, her shots will fly faster.
That's what I was thinking. Sometimes I see Serena, and I'm like wow, she would push some men's players for sure.

Now it makes sense why she got dominated by low ranked men's players when she had a trial set or two.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Once encountered a women with balls. I left walkover on that one
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
country flag n8

It's not the only difference.

But AJ, slowing the men's and women's games down to different degrees is news to a lot of us.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
That's what I was thinking. Sometimes I see Serena, and I'm like wow, she would push some men's players for sure.

Now it makes sense why she got dominated by low ranked men's players when she had a trial set or two.
She wouldn't push any men's player in the top 500, lighter balls or heavier balls.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I am shocked. I never expected a serious thread out of such a title .

As for the OP, ATP mafia is at it again .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote