Roger : We are best ever, The four of us? That’s a really difficult call. - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #196
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
Except that just about more than half of those 8 times, they played on clay?

Clay is not a legit tennis surface?

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #197
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal - "If someone says I am better than Roger...

he peaked early- so he declined earlier
since 2011 really = this era- apart from nole, was a joke for the most part
and nadal has taken advantage of it

would nadal 2006-08 have blown a break and possible second break point in the 5th to a clearly worn down opponent? i doubt it, not in a slam final anyway
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #198
country flag ssj100

ssj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Clay is not a legit tennis surface?
It is, just that it would be nice to see an even number of matches across all surfaces. In that way, more accurate/precise conclusions can be drawn.

6-2, 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-0 (and not even finals).
ssj100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #199
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
Roger may be a better player in the overall history of the sport stats-wise, may have the 'better' game stylistically with his all-court game, may even be the GOAT but head to head versus Nadal, Nadal is better.
On the day, when these two have played in Major tournaments, eight times Nadal has won the last point. Eight times, eighty percent of the time on the game's biggest stages, Rafael nadal beats Roger Federer and so that makes Nadal the better player of the two.
That computes to me no problem.
There lies the problem.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #200
country flag ssj100

ssj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
he peaked early- so he declined earlier
since 2011 really = this era- apart from nole, was a joke for the most part
and nadal has taken advantage of it

would nadal 2006-08 have blown a break and possible second break point in the 5th to a clearly worn down opponent? i doubt it, not in a slam final anyway
That's true. Since this is such a weak era, it's odd that Nadal hasn't won more slams? Even if he's injured half the time right?

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #201
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is, just that it would be nice to see an even number of matches across all surfaces. In that way, more accurate/precise conclusions can be drawn.
He's trolling. He knows perfectly well that clay enhance the match up advantage Nadal has with Fed's backhand.

He also knows that the fact Federer lost pretty much only to Nadal on Nadal's best surface while Nadal could not even make HC finals to face Fed, and that that fact does not make Nadal look good, but he disregards that information.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #202
country flag ssj100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
He's trolling. He knows perfectly well that clay enhance the match up advantage Nadal has with Fed's backhand.

He also knows that the fact Federer lost pretty much only to Nadal on Nadal's best surface while Nadal could not even make HC finals to face Fed, and that that fact does not make Nadal look good, but he disregards that information.
That's actually a really good point. If Federer was a terrible clay court player, he'd probably have a winning H2H record against Nadal. However, I doubt he would have won Roland Garros (even in 2009).

Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #203
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal talking nonsense as always
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #204
country flag Aloevera

Aloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you don't have to question his honesty anymore after he spoke his mind bitterly at Australian Open. Oozing his jealousy and insecurity. It's the real Rafa.
Aloevera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #205
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
yeah i agree, i don't think or would ever accuse Rafa of drug use. They are tested so much it would have come out. That's true of all the top guys.

Puhleeaseee....

Top tennis players aren't tested nearly as often as top cyclists, top athletes, top swimmers, top weightlifters.
And even then, only a fraction of drug-using athletes/cyclists/swimmers/weightlifters are caught.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #206
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately, Nadal was not good enough to have faced Fed in HC finals.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #207
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the clay issue, yes that skews things and works to Nadal's advantage. But Roger beat Nadal on clay a couple of times and certainly had his chances in some of their matches.

So let's take out the clay regarding their major match up.

2-1 to Roger on grass.
2-0 to Nadal on hard/slow blue clay

3-2 Nadal.

No US Open I know. Nadal did not make the final because he is not great on the US Open surface bar that year he won the title, the year Roger did not make the final, and the year after when Rafa was the runer-up, when Roger also failed to make the final. So, they are both as guilty of ducking out of the finals.

All I am saying really is that in the matches they have played, not the matches we imagine, Nadal seems to play the better tennis because he, erm, wins. And in some people's eyes that makes Nadal the better player.

But I think the real problem is this.
We need two sentences for this conundrum to satisfy both camps.
1) Roger is the better player when it comes to overall abilty, style, his place in history
2)Nadal is the better player in the matches they have played against each other.

Somewhere I am sure there is a mathematician who could write a beautiful equation to express this.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #208
country flag evilmindbulgaria

evilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger : We are best ever, The four of us? That’s a really difficult call.

No, Rafa, you are not "better" than Federer, you just beat him like a drum

Rafa winning at least one slam in 10 consecutive years is the best achievement in Open Era tennis since Laver won all 4 Grand slam tournaments in the same year!

Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!
evilmindbulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #209
country flag Aloevera

Aloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post

All I am saying really is that in the matches they have played, not the matches we imagine, Nadal seems to play the better tennis because he, erm, wins. And in some people's eyes that makes Nadal the better player.

But I think the real problem is this.
We need two sentences for this conundrum to satisfy both camps.
1) Roger is the better player when it comes to overall abilty, style, his place in history
2)Nadal is the better player in the matches they have played against each other.
At least he's definitely better than everyone else on clay. But then how can he say he's better than Roger while his knees agree to disagree? Talk about what it feels like, watching himself recovering from injuries, on a wheelchair, while Federer running wild and free like a cheetah chasing the deers in Africa.

And then before Wimby 2009 Federer spoke just like everyone in MTF right now, adding insult to the injury: "I know it's not that bad, I can tell if he's injured or not."
Aloevera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #210
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger : We are best ever, The four of us? That’s a really difficult call.

djoker and laver would be best ever if they were the same age. fed is right for a change LOLOLOL
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote