Endless Era Debates - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: This is a:

Subpar era 30 18.63%
Par era 30 18.63%
Strong era 101 62.73%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #46
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think this era will be remembered as a subpar era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
Corrected
Yes such a fluke I really wonder if you would give Federer such disrespect even in front of Novak. Novak would slap the shit out of you. Disrespecting Federer and not giving credit indirectly pokes fun at Djokovic you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Hmm... a 31 year old Federer grabbing 1 slam after 2,5 years sounds a lot better than say...Gaston Gaudio winning a slam during Roger's peak
Clay has normally been out of the loop anyways. It was always the ATP tour and clay. Bjorn and Rafa are really the only true champions that were able to continue clay dominance while being great players on other surfaces. Yes there are certainly others like Agassi, Lendl, Wilander, etc who had success on the dirt but they certainly weren't the same caliber of players like Nadal and Borg on clay, so the fact that Gaudio won really has nothing to do with the era. I mean Gaudio after all ended up getting double bageled by Federer not so long after.

Regardless, speaking of era strength is always really stupid and will only point to your biases. A top player is dominating the field? If you like him, then clearly the player is just too good. If you don't like him, clearly the era is shit. All pointless discussion.
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #47
country flag Dr.Slice

Dr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Don't think that necessarily means a weak era. If Ferrer was the 4th best player on tour, then it'd be the weakest era of all-time for sure, I wouldn't even watch tennis if the sport had such a dire lack of talent.

But everyone knows that's not the case, he's not even among the 10 best players.
Idiotic post. Ferrer is the 4th best player in the world when taking into account the whole year and that is it. He is more consistent than players with more talent than him and there are no questions about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
At least he has no slam, unlike a billion clowns fluking slams left and right in the 90s/early 2000's. Krajicek and Flukenisevic both winning wimbledon is a much bigger atrocity than Ferrer as the 4th seed.
Absolutely. 90s was the weakest era ever. Cedric Pioline in slam finals? LOL. Michael Chang in the final of a hard court slam? You want weak, look at the draws Sampras had for most of his GS wins. Complete joke of draws. Who actually could play in the 90s? Drugged up Agassi? Aging Becker? Rafter? The top 3 we have now is far better than any of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Krajicek and Ivanisevic are far more talented player than Ferrer. Their serves alone are worth more than Ferrer's entire 'game'. They won Slams because they had the weapons to beat the best players of their era in the super fast grass of Wimbledon, it's far from an atrocity.
More stupidity from you. The talent those guys had was being tall. That's it. The serve bots of the 90s like Ivanisevic would be easily beaten by the serve bots we have now like Karlovic, Isner and Raonic. Just thankfully the game has moved away from all-serve game and these days you need rallying skills to get somewhere. Karlovic, Isner and Raonic would all be multiple GS champions in the joke era that was the 90s.

Quote:
I think a totally dedicated and fit Serena can be in the top 200 of men's tour.

Hian talking about where Serena Williams would be in ATP
Quote:
Serena could be easily in Top 100.
Dr.Slice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #48
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

this era will be remembered as a hater era.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #49
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

somewhat. although I think that 2007-present hasn't been THAT bad. I would say the 2000s certainly will be remembered as a poor era which also so happened to have the best player of all time playing

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #50
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

i think most people would agree this is the toughest era the mens game has ever seen. the four different slam winners of this era are all goat candidates not serve bot mugs that fluke their way to a slam title. i don't think we will ever see an era as strong as this one.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #51
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Of course this is a subpar era. Any time when the number one player in the world is defending less slams than any other current player is clear evidence of a subpar era.
June 2010 anyone?

And to answer the original question, yes, it is a clown era.

Fed unmasked the "strong era" clownery becoming number 1 at 31 when his "Spartan" rivals are still in their primes.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #52
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a weak era. Thanks,
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #53
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooza2011 View Post
Ferrer would be number 1 seed in any other era.
Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhang1983 View Post
agree big time! people are amused by big shots here and there,I bet Rosol has more fans already than him, just real tennis fans can see the hard and amazing work ferrer is putting out there and admire it, and yet he has not been close to winning a slam and hes is behind top 4, that tells you how great this era is and the quality of tennis never been higher, look at the quality of tennis Djoko showed us last year, does anyone remember anything like that ever? Or tennis that Roger is playing this year, I believe roger 2012 is playing better tennis right now and would beat Roger 2004 by good margin! , his backhand has never been more solid , he is showing some magical stuff out there and we should admire how he is forced to bring out that because of the competition existing here, subpar era was when Sampras and Aggasi were fading away , early Roger's achievements came in that era ,not to take any credits from him, Roger is playing a much better and smarter tennis now than ever and that is the way it is and always been, every competition progress to extreme perfection year after year.

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 481-325
TBkeeper is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Visa View Post
Yes. You've got 3 bona-fide all time greats. Yes there's less depth, but still....

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 481-325

Last edited by TBkeeper : 08-26-2012 at 09:04 AM.
TBkeeper is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #55
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Ok let me see if I got it correctly.. Current ATP sucks because noone is challenging the big 3(and a half) so there is no surprise. Current WTA sucks because noone is dominating so there is too little tension.

ehm?
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #56
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely top-heavy era more like.

The era after Djodalray is looking like being sub-par.

17 6 21 77
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #57
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Yes such a fluke I really wonder if you would give Federer such disrespect even in front of Novak. Novak would slap the shit out of you. Disrespecting Federer and not giving credit indirectly pokes fun at Djokovic you know.

Clay has normally been out of the loop anyways. It was always the ATP tour and clay. Bjorn and Rafa are really the only true champions that were able to continue clay dominance while being great players on other surfaces. Yes there are certainly others like Agassi, Lendl, Wilander, etc who had success on the dirt but they certainly weren't the same caliber of players like Nadal and Borg on clay, so the fact that Gaudio won really has nothing to do with the era. I mean Gaudio after all ended up getting double bageled by Federer not so long after.

Regardless, speaking of era strength is always really stupid and will only point to your biases. A top player is dominating the field? If you like him, then clearly the player is just too good. If you don't like him, clearly the era is shit. All pointless discussion.
He dislikes Olderer more then me

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #58
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

some people here...
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #59
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Sub-par for what? The way I see it there are a few general things the 'sub-par' could refer to:-

- Quality of tennis played. This is the obvious one. Seemingly though, it is not what a lot of people immediately think when confronted with the thought. There is no necessary connection between the distribution of success in men's tennis and the quality of tennis. It takes a further step beyond just stating, "the top three dominate etc...", to also state that this is in some sense constitutes a poor quality of tennis. The two are separate claims and must be treated as such. Nor does the deviation of style of play from a fans preferred style constitute poor quality. It simply means there is evolution of tennis (in a value-neutral sense, evolution need be neither good nor bad, but it's existence is pretty undeniable) from one style having success to another. Whilst judgements can be made about quality of tennis played, arguments which infer from distribution of success to a conclusion about quality of tennis are flawed because within any distribution of success, the quality of tennis may fluctuate, this is demonstrable.

- Quality of Drama/Distribution of Success. I have grouped these two together because they seem to be deeply connected for fans. Both those who enjoy this era of top heavy distribution (which creates 'mega-matches' between players with 5+ slams each) and those who hate it's lack of surprises conflate the two. However, although having ones preferred distribution of power may be nice, there is no real way to link it to being above or below par. This is a subjective preference, not a label of quality.

- Other/Intangible Qualities. Well, there is little to be argued for or against on this count. If posters wish to argue that there is some other way by which to measure quality, or some intangible factor which is lacked by the current crop, they can specify it or be subject to scepticism. I personally don't feel there is much else it could come down to which hasn't been mentioned but I am open to new suggestions. In lieu of that though, I hope the above is a reasonable guide as to the uselessness of attempting to draw a conclusion which is in any way legitimate, from states of affairs relating to distribution of success, which seems to the most common argument being bandied around in this thread.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #60
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Must read:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=78615
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote