Endless Era Debates - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: This is a:

Subpar era 32 18.39%
Par era 32 18.39%
Strong era 110 63.22%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #166
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if sampras would play in this era....

But Sampras is on another level to the serve and vollyers of today. (which there are not many, if any at all)

Of course there is no way of finding out how Peak Sampras/Agassi would do nowadays, so it's all speculation really.

Del Potro-Nishikori-Brands-Paire-Wawrinka-Sampras-Llodra-Safin-Falla
nazzac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #167
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzac View Post
Of course there is no way of finding out how Peak Sampras/Agassi would do nowadays, so it's all speculation really.
Don't interrupt Master Sapeod from his thinking process. His shiny globe can predict the future, the past and the outcome of all parallel universes.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #168
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Sapeod, I suggest you go down to the supermarket and purchase yourself a life. BadRepping me for a joke is the saddest thing you've ever done around here, telling me that you bad-repped me because I can't accept that people have a different opinion to yours, when YOU actually can't accept that, seeing as you act like God in this thread, negating Sampras' chances and telling everyone how right you are when it's all SPECULATION.

And that comes after a series of good-reps you received from me and a lot of arguments in which I sided with you. Don't worry though I don't care if you Bad-Rep me a thousand times for the most retarded reasons you can find. Just know that you need to grow up faster.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #169
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

He would do better on clay that he did in the 1990's b/c the clay is so much faster now.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #170
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzac View Post
But Sampras is on another level to the serve and vollyers of today. (which there are not many, if any at all)
You can't know that. Different racquets, different courts, they would most likely have to adapt their style to new conditions like everybody else did.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #171
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
But Djokovic and Murray would have murdered his serve too. An Agassi-Djokovic match would be a baseline borefest, they are pretty similar each other, great ROS, shitty volley, exceptionnal balance...

They are both great in the AO, good in the French+USO, average in Wimbledon.

It would be a toss up, really, but given his physical skills, Agassi would have a hard time in playing Djokovic and Federer/Murray in a row.
they are not that similar besides they both stick to the baseline and are great returners. Agassi was much much more agressive than Djokovic, he didn't grind points away, he went for his shots. he had a lot more weight and power in his shots and forced the issue. Agassi and Djokovic are only similar in their court position

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #172
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Both would be outclassed by Nadal and Djokovic. But Sampras would've owned this years Wimbledon for sure
I hope you meant on clay for Nadal, since he's not a major factor off of it...
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #173
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras wouldn't do well at the AO, FO and USO but he'd likely clean up during the indoor season as well as the World Tour Finals. These results might keep his ranking high enough so that he'd avoid two of the Top 4 players during Wimbledon.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #174
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Federer and Murray would match up well with him, Nadal and Djokovic not so much IMO.

Except on clay where I think they'd all beat him.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #175
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: if sampras would play in this era....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Sapeod, I suggest you go down to the supermarket and purchase yourself a life. BadRepping me for a joke is the saddest thing you've ever done around here, telling me that you bad-repped me because I can't accept that people have a different opinion to yours, when YOU actually can't accept that, seeing as you act like God in this thread, negating Sampras' chances and telling everyone how right you are when it's all SPECULATION.

And that comes after a series of good-reps you received from me and a lot of arguments in which I sided with you. Don't worry though I don't care if you Bad-Rep me a thousand times for the most retarded reasons you can find. Just know that you need to grow up faster.
On the other hand, I'm not the one telling somebody to get a life and whining about badreps. Grow up indeed.

Also, who's angry here? I'm certainly not.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 476-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #176
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Sampy would struggle as much in this slow ass era as Dull would struggle in the fast courts of the 90's. Both deserve less slams. Only the GOAT can destroy the opposition in any era.

My tennis knowledge is unmatched.
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #177
country flag rolandgarros

rolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond reputerolandgarros has a reputation beyond repute

The "Tommy Haas Case" indicates we are in a MUG ERA now.
rolandgarros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #178
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras would have a Berdych/Clownga career in this era.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #179
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default What kind of career would Nadal have in the 90's?

Discuss
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #180
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of career would Nadal have in the 90's?

At least 18 slams. 90's era was littered with weak serve bots and all around clowns. He'd win 10RG/4W/2AO/2USO and back to back gold medals (1996-2000). Nadal vs Sampras on clay would be like RG2008 final against Noserer, every time
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote