If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #91
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

if someone (hypothetical) made 4 slam finals only to lose to someone
who years later was found out to be a drugs cheater

i think that the slams should be given to the player who made 4 finals or whatever
because they made 4 finals its obvious they were beating everyone else except that player

and if PEDs were used thats an unfair advantage

to not give the slams to the other guy is just unfair
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #92
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

at the very least the slam should be taken off

and the losing SF and finalists share the slam
Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #93
country flag Redeyz

Redeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidbourbon View Post
1) I don't have a huge problem with performance enhancing drugs. In other words, I don't think it's in any way shape or form a moral issue. But I think you either have to let everybody do it or nobody at all. So that's the fixation.

2) I suspect that doping in tennis is quite rampant. You could tell me tomorrow that every single player in the top 20 had done at least sone doping in the pat 3 years, and I wouldn't be shocked. EPO, in particular, would be very helpful for tennis players, and under the current testing guidelines you'd have to be full retard to get busted doing EPO. It's in and out of your system very quickly.
We are in agreement. My position is let everyone do it if they choose.

Frankly I believe the current crop of greats and very good players would still be great or very good with PEDs. Some might marginally be better. Perhaps it would add muscularity or strength. I am not sure it would add speed to anyone. But I am not sure. Mental clarity, especially after a hard or long match the day before would be enhanced. And recovery from fatigue or injury would speed up.

I cannot honestly see how any of those things would be bad.

I am opposite in thinking that doping is not a big problem in tennis. But you might be right.

Like so many other areas whether it be weight loss or pain control, drugs can be very effective up to a point and for a limited time. There comes a point though of diminishing returns. Yet one still either has to change one's diet and increase exercise or find and eliminate the source of the pain and discomfort.
Redeyz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #94
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It's like playing tennis with someone who is at your level except you get a racket and the other player gets a frying pan. It's just not fair.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #95
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

The should be stripped of titles they won when they tested positive, all prizemoney earned when they tested positive, and should be banned for life.

That's for performance enhancing.

Recreational drugs just fines

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #96
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
at the very least the slam should be taken off

and the losing SF and finalists share the slam
LOL you can't share a slam.

And why not the quarterfinalist or fourth round opponent? Or 3rd round? Oh.
It screws up the whole tournament, see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #97
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the thing is, a lot of the Performance Enhancing Drugs tend to be unhealthy in the long run. Thus, by adopting a "everyone does them so let's allow them" stance, you're basically (1) advocating (or at the very least approving) an unhealthy lifestyle among sportsmen and (2) telling to the ones who want to play sports free of drugs that they won't be able to compete or win jackshit in the current conditions.
To quote a retired pro-cyclist:

Quote:
Doping destroys the Darwinian aspect of sports. Even if all athletes were doping with the exact same products, the best athlete can no longer be defined by competition.
It no longer is a competition to find out the best athlete, but instead the athlete who's body best adapts to doping. Some people may be cured from a headache by 1 aspirin, others may take 5 and the headache rages on. No matter if 1% or 100% of athletes dope, the results become skewed by widely varying degrees of adaptation to pharmaceuticals, in a non-Darwinian fashion, that fundamentally prevents the determination of the strongest athlete. This is one reason, amongst many that I think instinctively makes people offended by doping. It blurs their vision as to a very fundamental question in human societies for thousands of years: Who is the best?

The best leader
The best farmer
The best warrior...

People want to know who is the best. Period.

The second reason I'd say doping is bad is that it creates a moral and ethical selection, which should not be a part of athletics. An athlete who's moral compass directs him away from doping, will become a less competitive athlete. Relative morals should have nothing to do with the outcome of athletic competition. The rules of the game serve as the morals for each and every competitor, no matter what their personal thoughts/ethics are. If doping comes into play, it creates a moral dilemma for some and less so for others, driving away some athletes who may be better prepared and more physically talented, but have moral issue with the act of doping. This, once again, creates a situation where we are unable to define "the best", as perhaps the best was driven away from the sport due to his/her ethical grounding.

This not even touching the health consequences, etc etc... But I'm sure you guys have go that one.

JV
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #98
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
I don't thinks so- a lot of the logic is that everybody else does it, so they think: if I win doping then I still won and am proud of my achievements because everyone else was doping.
That's such a rationalization (but no doubt common). If you dope, you're just a cheat, a fraud and a liar and your results are meaningless, regardless of how many other frauds there are. Why would there be any value in a "win" aided by such an egregious violation of the rules?

It must be so rewarding to know you're the #1 fraud and cheater. Something to tell your grand children about.

I think Christophe Bassons was treated so poorly by the insecure dopers because he reminded them that they're really just a bunch of filthy cheaters after all.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #99
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

i think that the slams should be given to the player who made 4 finals or whatever
because they made 4 finals its obvious they were beating everyone else except that player

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #100
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
Of course this is only hypothetical and has no resemblance whatsoever to reality. I'm just curious.

Quote:

Completely hypothetical and nothing to do with any players of course.

My reaction to this this thread and in particular the two quotes above:

Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #101
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Agassi admitted to being a party doper and nothing happened. I know it's not exactly like the question from the op, but it's as close as it gets I guess
lol agassi admitted to using some drugs when he was having poor form, recreational ones, which if anything HELPED him plummet in the rankings. preformance enhancing drugs is an entire other thing and if they find out a player has used those then YES. but they'd have to find out in a reasonable amount of time. years is ludicrous and unacceptable to go back and change, however months would be different. also never would the ATP have legal means to get the prize money back after so late in the game BUT stripping the titles/credit sure.

I can only think of a handful of players that are generally pretty known to have used preformance enhancing drugs in their careers. it gets old the Agassi comments, as the ATP regulations on recreational drugs are absolutely ludicrous. someone's going to OD on heroin a month after winning WImbledon and get their title stripped, what a joke

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #102
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Don't be dramatic. Yes, there are obvious underlying comments from abraxas, but whatever, the actual question itself is actually something interesting and hasn't really been brought up.

Finding out someone was a doper is certainly very tough in tennis. Like was said earlier, it fucks everything from the first match onward. It certainly isn't like other sports such as cycling or running where you can just take him out and bump up everyone behind him. One day I hope drug testing reaches new levels of innovation, consistency and accuracy because as is it seems rather easy to get away with so much..

However, I do have to say, while doping is certainly cheating and by no way would I advocate doping, but for a sport like tennis, does it actually help? I mean as my private coach would always say, tennis is 80% mental, so no matter how many years of doping you have, if you can't mentally win an important or if you don't have good technique or whatever, you aren't going to win. So while doping is certainly a serious offense, honestly, if a player couldn't beat a doper, I doubt it had anything to do with the person being a doper, but rather one just being mentally stronger or just a better tennis player. If I remember correctly, back in 2007 when Roddick was asked about Canas' return to the game, Roddick said something like "it wasn't like he didn't know how to play tennis" and I think that is exactly right about dopers. So again just to reiterate my point, while doping certainly is cheating and any player caught doping should be punished heavily, I don't think it really truly has a great bearing on our sport of tennis as it does nothing for your techniques, gameplay, shot selection and mental strength which are all much more important than the physical aspects doping can "help" with, so any player losing to a doper IMO has nothing to do with the doper being a doper (unless something way out of the norm is evident like the guy is hitting 200 MPH serves, lol..)
I agree doping isn't going to do much for your technique or general skill level in tennis.

But for, say, the top 100 players, we're talking about VERY fine margins between winning and losing. These guys are all immensely talented tennis players. Using certain banned substances may aid/improve muscle strength (which can lead to more powerful serves/strokes), reflexes and stamina, and, crucially, reduce time needed for recovery between matches. This last element could make a big difference in tournaments, especially the demanding five-set majors.

I think the head of ITFs response a few years back when asked if there could be a problem with doping in tennis was the same as yours - doping isn't going to help tennis players get better, so there's no problem. And that's not the attitude you want to see from the head of the sport, quite frankly, if you want the sport to try and reduce the amount of cheating going on...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #103
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidbourbon View Post
1) I don't have a huge problem with performance enhancing drugs. In other words, I don't think it's in any way shape or form a moral issue. But I think you either have to let everybody do it or nobody at all. So that's the fixation.

2) I suspect that doping in tennis is quite rampant. You could tell me tomorrow that every single player in the top 20 had done at least sone doping in the pat 3 years, and I wouldn't be shocked. EPO, in particular, would be very helpful for tennis players, and under the current testing guidelines you'd have to be full retard to get busted doing EPO. It's in and out of your system very quickly.

Sad to say, but I pretty much feel the same way.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #104
country flag Lugburz

Lugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
It's not like cycling/athletics were you can give it to the runner-up who was officially the second best/fastest etc! In tennis the whole tournament is officially void because the cheater has distorted the outcome starting from round 1!
true, but anyway if doper wins, I'd vote for all the stuff that goes to the winner, to be taken away.

Philipp Kohlschreiber - Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Everytime Haas wins a point is the happiest moment in my life.
Lugburz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #105
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think PED's affect tennis as much as other sports, with the likes of Murray, Berdych, and Cilic no PED will help them achieve more. Banning is enough i think. And Lance Armstrong still has not been proven after 13 years.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote