If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
country flag delpiero7

delpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Fairly obvious that the thread was made with regards to the news about Lance Armstrong today. That the OP has certain views on a certain player is a secondary issue IMO.
delpiero7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #32
country flag FedGOAT

FedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFedGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

All the world class athletes are doped and there is no doubt about that. Period.
FedGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - the winner should be stripped of their title. No, the title should not then be awarded to the runner up, for the reasons already given by posters here.

As to making comments about doping in tennis when there is no "concrete evidence" - it is becoming hard to ignore the rumours and suspicions surrounding some of the players. It's also hard to believe with the current testing regime in tennis that there aren't many players who could take advantage...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
mostly grammar errors; the main ideas and content are unchanged
No, you mentioned the GOAT and the guy who constantly beats him.
Being a coward is not nice and as a fan you're making Federer look bad.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyz View Post
I think the tournament could "vacate" the title, but the prize money should not be forfeited.

And no the runner-up should not receive the prize anymore than any player the "doping" champion beat along the way. There's no guarantee that the finalist would have won if someone else had been in the final.
The doper's actions can affect the whole result decisively in sports like cycling, running, skiing etc. as well. For example if the 2nd best (best clean) athlete tries to stay with the doper in order to win so much so that he breaks himself and drops out of contention, you can say the corrected result with the doper disqualified isn't justified either. Everything affects everything and if you want to employ that sort of thinking then it is hard to justify any corrected result in any sport.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #36
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just like heaven View Post
No, you mentioned the GOAT and the guy who constantly beats him.
Being a coward is not nice and as a fan you're making Federer look bad.
hmmm... no, those weren't my exact words. see post 20 for the terms you're missing. theres nothing to hide on my part.

plus, i made that small change precisely to avoid confusions in butthurt nadaltards' minds who instantly assume any doping related thread is about their hero. i wonder why there is this level of insecurity among some of you.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #37
country flag Redeyz

Redeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond reputeRedeyz has a reputation beyond repute

I find it somewhat bizarre,especially in the USA, that doping is considered such a horrible offense. $74 million was used to try to prosecute an accused baseball player for doping. Yet only $16 million was appropriated to investigate 9/11. Goldman Sachs was left off the hook last week by the Justice Department for its many crimes. But people are up in arms and crying crocodile tears that dopers in sports need to be prosecuted and sent to jail.

The fixation on drugs is way over the top. Again you have a place like America, where at least 40% of the population is on multiple prescription drugs. 1 million kids are on Ritalin. Who knows how many millions are on mind altering, SSRI like prozac etc. You have a culture or society riddled with legal drug abuse and use, not to mention the millions addicted to "ďllegal" drugs from marijuana to cocaine, crack, meth, heroine etc. Its truly bizarre and other worldly that people take such great umbrage to the use of drugs to enhance performance.

I see nothing wrong with people using blood transfusions or growth hormones etc.
How is this any different than the use of the many drug cocktails that doctors prescribe?
If an aging athlete can take a substance that prolongs or helps him heal quicker from an injury, then they should be able to do it.
As long as everyone has access to various formulas, then so be it.

Frankly, I am not sure how much beyond a marginal or short term boost it would have anyway.
Redeyz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
country flag Lleyton_

Lleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a matter of when, not if. It's good to be prepared. Keep this thread alive and wait 1-20 years.
Lleyton_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #39
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiero7 View Post
Fairly obvious that the thread was made with regards to the news about Lance Armstrong today.
exactly.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #40
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Otherwise a good topic but OP is too provocative.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #41
country flag Serverer
Banned!

Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute

Anti doping work in tennis is too weak, they will never catch anyone significant.
Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyz View Post
I find it somewhat bizarre,especially in the USA, that doping is considered such a horrible offense. $74 million was used to try to prosecute an accused baseball player for doping. Yet only $16 million was appropriated to investigate 9/11. Goldman Sachs was left off the hook last week by the Justice Department for its many crimes. But people are up in arms and crying crocodile tears that dopers in sports need to be prosecuted and sent to jail.

The fixation on drugs is way over the top. Again you have a place like America, where at least 40% of the population is on multiple prescription drugs. 1 million kids are on Ritalin. Who knows how many millions are on mind altering, SSRI like prozac etc. You have a culture or society riddled with legal drug abuse and use, not to mention the millions addicted to "ďllegal" drugs from marijuana to cocaine, crack, meth, heroine etc. Its truly bizarre and other worldly that people take such great umbrage to the use of drugs to enhance performance.

I see nothing wrong with people using blood transfusions or growth hormones etc.
How is this any different than the use of the many drug cocktails that doctors prescribe?
If an aging athlete can take a substance that prolongs or helps him heal quicker from an injury, then they should be able to do it.
As long as everyone has access to various formulas, then so be it.

Frankly, I am not sure how much beyond a marginal or short term boost it would have anyway.
The problem is they don't, or wouldn't dream of going against the laws of their respective sports. So those who do are cheats, gaining an unfair advantage by unlawful means.

In tennis, for example, the use of certain drugs could have a significant effect on reducing recovery time needed between matches, which would be highly desirable during the big tournaments.

However, I agree with much of your post, especially your initial points.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
hmmm... no, those weren't my exact words. see post 20 for the terms you're missing. theres nothing to hide on my part.

plus, i made that small change precisely to avoid confusions in butthurt nadaltards' minds who instantly assume any doping related thread is about their hero. i wonder why there is this level of insecurity among some of you.
Coward.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
Anti doping work in tennis is too weak, they will never catch anyone significant.
Any top player doping will be brushed completely under the carpet. And no I'm not suggesting any top player is.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #45
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just like heaven View Post
Coward.
hmmm, ok, i pointed out the exact unedited post for you and everyone to see my point. make whatever conclusion you wish to make but i remind you that the rules are to be respected and insulting fellow members is against them.