United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assange - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assange

UK threat to storm embassy to take Assange
Date
August 16, 2012 - 8:06AM
Read later

The UK has issued a "threat" to enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London to arrest Julian Assange, who has been taking refuge inside since June.

The news comes as the country prepares to announce within hours its decision on granting asylum to the Australian WikiLeaks founder, Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino says.

The British government has told the Ecuadorian authorities it believes it can enter its embassy in London and arrest Assange, who is seeking political asylum in the South American country.

Ecuadorean Minister of Foreign Affairs Ricardo Patino. Photo: AFP
Assange is wanted for questioning over sexual assault allegations in Sweden, but says he fears deportation to the United States, which may seek to try him for his website's release of a trove of secret documents.

Advertisement
Patino told a news conference that Ecuador received a written threat on Wednesday from Britain that "it could assault our embassy" if Assange was not handed over.

He said the threat was delivered to Ecuador's foreign ministry and ambassador in London.

Ecuador has said it hopes to announce a decision this week on Assange's asylum request.

The Australian has been holed up in the embassy since June 19, taking refuge to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces questioning for alleged sexual misconduct.

Assange's supporters say the charges are trumped up and believe the US has secretly indicted him and would extradite him from Sweden.

AFP/PA/AP

Ads by Google

http://www.smh.com.au/world/uk-threa...816-249pe.html

This is an absolutely disgusting act by the UK government if true. Stay out of other people's business you clowns.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assan

So you believe the Foreign Minister of Ecuador? Too bad he couldn't speak clearly and tell us what the British government actually communicated.

Ecuador had said a decision on Assange is due tomorrow, so it is pretty obvious this is just a stunt. Fall for it, if you wish.

Assange jumped bail and ran, so there is a warrant for his arrest. That sounds to me like the government's business.

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-15-2012 at 10:48 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
So you believe the Foreign Minister of Ecuador? Too bad he couldn't speak clearly and tell us what the British government actually communicated.

Ecuador had said a decision on Assange is due tomorrow, so it is pretty obvious this is just a stunt. Fall for it, if you wish.

Assange jumped bail and ran, so there is a warrant for his arrest. That sounds to me like the government's business.
Even if so, if the story is true then it's to be slammed.

You never have jurisdiction over another country's embassy.

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. UK still behaving like it's 19th century.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post
Even if so, if the story is true then it's to be slammed.

You never have jurisdiction over another country's embassy.
So you choose to fall for it. If you read the first line of your quote it is a classic attempt at propaganda manipulation of the gullible. There is no evidence at all to support the story, yet you are ready to accept it. So far it is bullshit, nothing more.

I never said anyone had jurisdiction over any other embassy. You are already assuming the Ecuador propaganda is true, presumably because you want it to be true. That is how propaganda works.
But if Assange leaves the embassy he will be arrested. It could be hilarious. The police could not enter the embassy car transporting him, but they could block its path and just wait them out. So if Assange can not flee to Ecuador, then why prolong this situation?

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-16-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Lol. UK still behaving like it's 19th century.
More a case of Ecuador behaving like a banana republic.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you choose to fall for it. If you read the first line of your quote it is a classic attempt at propaganda manipulation of the gullible. There is no evidence at all to support the story, yet you are ready to accept it. So far it is bullshit, nothing more.

I never said anyone had jurisdiction over any other embassy. You are already assuming the Ecuador propaganda is true, presumably because you want it to be true. That is how propaganda works.
But if Assange leaves the embassy he will be arrested. It could be hilarious. The police could not enter the embassy car transporting him, but they could block its path and just wait them out. So if Assange can not flee to Ecuador, then why prolong this situation?
Ever the cynic.

I don't see a counter-statement posted from the British authority, so in the mean time this may as well be true.

Furthermore, there are pictures and actual reports. http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/E...to-get-Assange + a quote from a british spokesperson. So I don't know why you refuse to acknowledge the possibility (which it may as well be true now)

Your logic is ridiculous. If I were a child that needs a hermetic environment so I can't go out, because I would die if I go out, but I couldn't do anything in this environment for an extended period of time either. So why prolong my misery in this environment and just die outside, is that what you're saying?

W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12

W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post
Ever the cynic.

I don't see a counter-statement posted from the British authority, so in the mean time this may as well be true.

Furthermore, there are pictures and actual reports. http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/E...to-get-Assange + a quote from a british spokesperson. So I don't know why you refuse to acknowledge the possibility (which it may as well be true now)

Your logic is ridiculous. If I were a child that needs a hermetic environment so I can't go out, because I would die if I go out, but I couldn't do anything in this environment for an extended period of time either. So why prolong my misery in this environment and just die outside, is that what you're saying?
A counter-statement to what? Ecuadoran propaganda? I don't think so. Why would they come down to the level of commenting on every crazy accusation? "This may as well be true'' you say. Why not say, "It may as well be bullshit?'' Unless maybe you wish it were true.

And again the ''actual report'' you refer to seems to be the Ecuadoran propaganda, not an actual report on the British government's intentions.

What pictures?

I don't really understand the last bit where you say my logic is ridiculous. If I was charged with a crime and was in a house with no chance of avoiding arrest, I would surrender and face the charges. In your analogy the child has no choice but to stay inside. If Assange leaves, he won't die, he will be arrested and sent to Sweden to face trial. Why did he go to the Ecuadoran embassy in the first place? I suspect because because Fidel and Chavez thought it an opportunity to use him for propaganda purposes. They couldn't care less about Assange the person, they only care about Assange the propaganda instrument. No doubt the Ecuadorans would love the embassy to be stormed, that is what they want. Then they could drum up support for mobs taking over British embassies around the world. I doubt her majesty's government would go down that road.

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-16-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #9
country flag orangehat

Quote:
A counter-statement to what? Ecuadoran propaganda? I don't think so. Why would they come down to the level of commenting on every crazy accusation? "This may as well be true'' you say. Why not say, "It may as well be bullshit?'' Unless maybe you wish it were true.

And again the ''actual report'' you refer to seems to be the Ecuadoran propaganda, not an actual report on the British government's intentions.

What pictures?

I don't really understand the last bit where you say my logic is ridiculous. If I was charged with a crime and was in a house with no chance of avoiding arrest, I would surrender and face the charges. In your analogy the child has no choice but to stay inside. If Assange leaves, he won't die, he will be arrested and sent to Sweden to face trial. Why did he go to the Ecuadoran embassy in the first place? I suspect because because Fidel and Chavez thought it an opportunity to use him for propaganda purposes. They couldn't care less about Assange the person, they only care about Assange the propaganda instrument. No doubt the Ecuadorans would love the embassy to be stormed, that is what they want. Then they could drum up support for mobs taking over British embassies around the world. I doubt her majesty's government would go down that road.
I don't know where you've been for the last few years or so, but last I checked, everytime an outlandish claim comes from a Foreign minister of a country, it has always been met in kind by a repartee from the other country involved. I've seen much more violent and over-the-top reactions in return to something much less. So you will excuse my skepticism that the British foreign minister has not stepped up to rebut or at least explain the accusations.

I suspect your unwillingness to at least consider the possibility of something a lot of media outlets have now reported on (and looks increasingly possible) is intrinsically in some bias.

Maybe Assange will not die, but in his mind not being in a prison vs. deportation to courts sympathetic to US interests that will almost certainly grant extradition to a trial that will almost certainly grant a conviction is a risk he's more than willing to take.

Your irrational spite for left-wing governments is startling.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Our government, trying to be heroes once again. When will they learn?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
country flag Sofonda Cox
Banned!

Sofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Our government, trying to be heroes once again. When will they learn?
You don't actually believe this bullshit? No chance we would do that, it would violate some international laws surely?!
Sofonda Cox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ah the USAtard in you wanting to see Assange get caught.

If Sweden get to him, then there's only one place he's going and it ain't a **** trial.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

A slightly calmer reading of the situation.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...ssy-be-stormed
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Ecuador has now granted asylum to Mr Assange.

That has no doubt raised the diplomatic temperature.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

You know, if governements didn't have anything to hide, there would be no wikileaks. There would be nothing to blow the whistle about.

Quote:
More a case of Ecuador behaving like a banana republic.
So both countries are stuck in 1870?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote