Lance Armstrong finally banned for doping - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why doesn't Usain Bolt get the Lance Armstrong treatment from the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Is there any more evidence for this than a report in L'Equipe? If not, then he is hardly busted.

Lol! And the earth is flat? And the sun revolves around it?

So I guess it's because of gloryhunting fanboytards like you that you have 1000 page threads on CN forums about Armstrong's doping while the case is long closed ! Unbelievable.

L'Équipe provided undisputable evidence of his doping. Sports fans' moral collapse and loss of reason is frightening. DON'T BURN AN IDOL ! How mature is this? I mean when Museeuw got caught I was angry at the Belgian police, yeah I've also been a kid in the past. I'm an adult now. I am no fanboy of anybody and if someone gets caught for EPO, blood or hormon-based dope, he should out, even if I previously liked the athlete, I would say the same thing, the hell with that guy.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #47
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why doesn't Usain Bolt get the Lance Armstrong treatment from the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
Why are Chinese swimmers accused of doping, and Michael Phelps isn't?
It might have something to do with the fact that throughout his entire elite career, Phelps voluntarily got tested more than any other swimmer. And he has been the most vocal supporter of anti-doping measures. Which of course, his critics never bother to look into. He's an American who wins. So he's accused by plenty on that basis alone.

The Chinese swimmer came out of nowhere to suddenly beat the records of men. Also, China's long history of cheating in swimming might have something to do with ONE coach speculating that it was an unbelievable achievement. Phelps himself said that the doping accusations against her were unfounded and sad.

Personally, I thought it was certainly strange, given her past recorded results, but I've always thought that the advantage of doping in swimming is dubious to say the least.

Last edited by Tommy_Vercetti : 08-21-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Tommy_Vercetti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #48
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
It might have something to do with the fact that throughout his entire elite career, Phelps voluntarily got tested more than any other swimmer. And he has been the most vocal supporter of anti-doping measures. Which of course, his critics never bother to look into. He's an American who wins. So he's accused by plenty on that basis alone.

The Chinese swimmer came out of nowhere to suddenly beat the records of men. Also, China's long history of cheating in swimming might have something to do with ONE coach speculating that it was an unbelievable achievement. Phelps himself said that the doping accusations against her were unfounded and sad.

Personally, I thought it was certainly strange, given her past recorded results, but I've always thought that the advantage of doping in swimming is dubious to say the least.
She didn't beat the record of a man. She swam her final 50m faster than Lochte swam his final 50m to win. Lochte swam the other 350m faster Maybe she enjoys freestyle? Maybe Lochte was backing off, knowing he'd won, given his schedule?

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #49
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong drops fight against US Anti-Doping Agency drug charges

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lanc...-france-titles

Chooses not to go through with arbitration

Lance Armstrong has opted not to fight the charges of doping and conspiracy leveled against him by the United States Anti-Doping Agency. Armstrong leaves his former team manager Johan Bruyneel, team doctor Pedro Celaya and trainer Jose Pepe Marti to contest charges of doping practices and conspiracy to cover them up on their own.

Armstrong's trainer Michele Ferrari and doctor Luis del Moral have already been given lifetime bans in the same case.

USADA's case dates back to 1998, stripping Armstrong of all seven Tour de France victories as well as victories in the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré and Tour de Suisse.

The agency charged that Armstrong not only used EPO, Coriticosteriods, Testosterone, Human Growth Hormone and blood transfusions, but also masked the use of these performance enhancing drugs and methods with saline and plasma infusions. Additionally, it alleged Armstrong, during his time with the US Postal Service and Discovery Channel, encouraged and facilitating doping by his teammates.

The charges from the 1998-2005 period stem from witness testimony from "numerous riders, team personnel and others" who either observed Armstrong doping, had him admit to doping directly to them, or were encouraged to use or received assistance in doping by Armstrong.

Additionally, USADA is reported to have acquired data from 38 of Armstrong's blood samples from his comeback years, which it alleges demonstrates manipulation by blood doping, as well as 2001 Tour de Suisse doping control data that indicated EPO use.

The UCI has objected to the agency going forward with these charges, insisting that it should be the body to have results management authority over any doping cases.

Armstrong's attorneys objected to USADA's proceedings, taking the case to a Texas district court in an attempt to block it from moving forward. They called the proceedings a violation of Armstrong's Constitutional right to due process, argued that the arbitration system could not provide a fair decision and that the lack of information provided regarding witness identity and testimony was a violation of USADA's own rules.

Judge Sam Sparks dismissed the case, finding that the arbitration system set up specifically for sports doping cases was sufficient to provide a fair hearing, and that USADA's rules provide for ample time for discovery of evidence prior to the hearing.

Armstrong then faced the August 23 deadline to inform USADA if he would take the case to arbitration or accept the ban.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #50
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong drops fight against US Anti-Doping Agency drug charges

Quote from NYT:

Quote:
“There comes a point in every man’s life when he has to say, ‘Enough is enough,’ ” Armstrong said in a statement.

“The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today — finished with this nonsense.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/sp...mid=fb-nytimes

Sounds like his decision was made because he was sick of the whole thing rather than him admitting to doping.

10 years, though, is a ridiculous amount of time to investigate a case and formally bring charges, even for normal litigation standards. Maybe it's more complex in doping cases, I don't know.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #51
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Ex-Teammate: I saw Lance Armstrong use EPO

A former teammate of perhaps the world's greatest cyclist, Lance Armstrong, says he used banned performance-enhancing substances with Armstrong to cheat in pro races, including the Tour de France, the sport's ultimate event.

For the first time, former Armstrong teammate Tyler Hamilton reveals details to Scott Pelley never heard in public before of how and when he and some of the former members of the U.S. Postal Service team led by Armstrong used banned substances, including EPO and testosterone, to gain an advantage in races that Armstrong won.

Armstrong on doping claims: Never a failed test

Hamilton's interview is part of a six-month investigation by "60 Minutes" into doping on the cycling circuit and whether Armstrong has used banned substances - which he has steadfastly denied - a matter now under federal investigation.

The Pelley team's report will be broadcast on "60 Minutes" Sunday, May 22 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Hamilton, one of Armstrong's closest teammates and a champion cyclist in his own right, has previously denied using banned substances. He came forward to reveal secrets he thought he would harbor for years after he was subpoenaed by the grand jury in the federal investigation and forced to testify. "[Armstrong] took what we all took...the majority of the peloton," Hamilton says, referring to the tight group of bicycles and their riders in a race. "There was EPO...testosterone...a blood transfusion," he tells Pelley.

Hamilton says Armstrong used EPO, a drug that boosted endurance by increasing the amount of red blood cells in his body, to win the 1999 Tour de France, the race he won an astonishing seven times. "I saw [EPO] in his refrigerator...I saw him inject it more than one time like we all did, like I did many, many times."

Another former Armstrong teammate, also a witness in the federal investigation, is Frankie Andreu. He tells Pelley he took banned substances because lesser riders he believed were doping passed him by. "Training alone wasn't doing it and I think that's how...many of the other riders during that era felt, I mean, you kind of didn't have a choice," says Andreu.

The bedrock of Armstrong's denials over the years has been his claim to have never failed one of the hundreds of drug tests he has taken. Hamilton says Armstrong told him he did fail a test in 2001 given during the Tour de Swiss, an important event right before the Tour de France.

That allegation is under investigation by federal authorities.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_1...-10391709.html

Imo, Hamilton has to be telling some sort of truth if he was willing to also throw his own career into the trash.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #52
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Not so brave now, are we, Lance?

USADA confirms he will be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and receive a life-long sentence. However, I predict a fight with UCI, I suspect this isn't over yet...

Always good to see dopers caught.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #53
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

TAKE THEM OFF HIS CHEATING ASS!!1

HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #54
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

not contesting the charge means avoiding jail for perjury further down the line, right?

and I assume the titles will be left blank rather than handed to convicted dopers like ullrich and basso?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #55
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I will always love cycling, but I never like how the TdF takes ten years to be confirmed. Surely there is a way to do it ASAP after the tour has concluded.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #56
Dmitry Verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I will always love cycling, but I never like how the TdF takes ten years to be confirmed. Surely there is a way to do it ASAP after the tour has concluded.
Well no, there isn't. Technology in drugs and masking agents is always changing, and drug testers are constantly playing catch up.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #57
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
Well no, there isn't. Technology in drugs and masking agents is always changing, and drug testers are constantly playing catch up.
Well then you have to question the mentality ingrained in cyclists then. It's shameful.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #58
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
not contesting the charge means avoiding jail for perjury further down the line, right?

and I assume the titles will be left blank rather than handed to convicted dopers like ullrich and basso?
He will lose his 7 TDF titles but as Har-Tru said there will be a fight with the UCI. Not sure if they will be awarded to anyone especially during Armstrong's time hardly any were clean.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #59
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Quote from NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/sp...mid=fb-nytimes

Sounds like his decision was made because he was sick of the whole thing rather than him admitting to doping.

10 years, though, is a ridiculous amount of time to investigate a case and formally bring charges, even for normal litigation standards. Maybe it's more complex in doping cases, I don't know.
I'd say that he's realized that he's lost the case and that he's trying to save face with his fans and the general public. If he lost it in a trial with all the witnesses talking and the evidence piling up, he'd have a harder time defending himself in the media.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #60
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
I'd say that he's realized that he's lost the case and that he's trying to save face with his fans and the general public. If he lost it in a trial with all the witnesses talking and the evidence piling up, he'd have a harder time defending himself in the media.
His ego wouldn't allow him to admit to doping. Rightly or wrongly this will impact on the Livestrong project and the sufferers who believed in him.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1