Lance Armstrong finally banned for doping - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #241
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong finally banned for doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Eddy was caught doping three times, wasn't he? During Giro d'Italia 1969, after Giro de Lombardia 1973 and Fleche Wallonne 1977. At that time there were no significant ban, just disqualification from the event in question.

The first two are null...

And again, doping in the 70's does not matter.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #242
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
And why isn't Hincapie stripped off his wins in the Plouay GP and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, for instance. This is all at Bore de France's glory !
He might still be. Tyler Hamilton lost his Olympic gold from 2004 not so long ago, so it's not just TdF.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #243
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The first two are null...

And again, doping in the 70's does not matter.
Can you explain why the first two are null? At the time I was too small to pay attention.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #244
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could you expand on this, please? I had not heard about any reliable evidence against Lefevere at that time. The Landuyt/Versele affair involved Museeuw and non Lefevere riders such as Peers, Planckaert (jr) and De Clercq.
http://www.gva.be/archief/guid/lefev...8-53da05b836e4
http://www.dopingzaak.nl/blog/2012/1...rick-lefevere/
http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wiel...?nieuwsid=5681

Museeuw recently wrote a book where he comes clean, saying that "everybody did it". A book Lefevere tried to prevent him from writing.

It's perhaps not rock-solid evidence but there's a bad stench coming from Lefevere.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #245
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler View Post
I wonder what will happen to the UCI's lawsuit against him now.

The UCI oversaw the biggest sporting doping conspiracy in history. Isn't that what Kimmage basically wrote?
They should pay Kimmage and Walsh damages.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #246
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

At the Tour of Lombardy 1973 he had a TUE. He had cold after a race under rained (the Coppa Agostoni, I think) and drank syrup. The analysed substance, Mucantyl, is now scrapped from the banned substance list. But the organizers of the race (who controlled testing back then) did not were adamant.

In Savona 1969, the test was carried by a mobile lab sponsored by Hewlett Packard and not sanctioned by the UCI (the sanctioned lab in Italy at that time was in Rome). The positive test happened during the night and the b-test, the same night. Which he did not have the right to a b-test, which is, today, the normal procedure. When the UCI started their own investigation, the samples suddenly disappeared. Testing at that time were fairly recent and not well organised. IN any case, Merckx was cleared of all the accusation and allowed to race the Tour de France (there was a suspension!).

The first test is undisputable, though. (Edit: I mean the 3rd one, of course)

Last edited by Echoes : 10-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #247
country flag Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post

Museeuw recently wrote a book where he comes clean, saying that "everybody did it". A book Lefevere tried to prevent him from writing.

It's perhaps not rock-solid evidence but there's a bad stench coming from Lefevere.
Thanks I'm going to read these articles.

But if I'm not mistaken, in that book, Museeuw said he only doped in his later years (sic). The quote "everybody did it" is more recent (last month): http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/muse...om-past-riders
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #248
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as far as I can tell, Museeuw is expanding his version of the story.

It's some sort of "we all did it so, what I did was still strong" sort of tale (but maybe I'm not giving him enough credit, I didn't read the book after all, I just read some articles about it).

Lefevere has let go of Leipheimer after his witness account in the USADA case against Armstrong. Lefevere said: "I didn't read it, I didn't know it, there's nothing we can do".
Yeah, right. The Armstrong case has been building for years and years. Why did Lefevere and his team hire Leipheimer in the first place?
Some people from USADA, for starters, argue that Leipheimer was fired for breaking the "omerta" rule in cycling.

There's one thing nailing the cyclists against the wall but it's no good if the team managers and other team members dodge the bullit. That's not talking about the need to clean out the UCI.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #249
jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond repute

epilogue to biggest fraud in world of sport
WISHLIST Robby GINEPRI Blaž KAVČIČ Michael LLODRA Feliciano LOPEZ Tomas BERDYCH Martin KLIZAN Julien BENNETEAU Novak DJOKOVIC Dmitry TURSUNOV Janko TIPSAREVIC Stanislas WAWRINKA Norbert GOMBOS Mikhail YOUZHNY Thomaz BELLUCCI Eduardo SCHWANK Benoit PAIRE Gilles MULLER Juan Martin del POTRO John ISNER Santiago GIRALDO Philipp PETZSCHNER Gilles SIMON Mardy FISH Grigor DIMITROV Florian MAYER
Quote:
HATE LIST Rafael NADAL Andy MURRAY Lleyton HEWITT Marcos BAGHDATIS Bernard TOMIC Fernando VERDASCO Dominic THIEM Nikolay DAVYDENKO Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV Fabio FOGNINI Borna CORIC Gael MONFILS Tommy HAAS Richard GASQUET Carlos BERLOCQ Ernests GULBIS Albert MONTANES Paolo LORENZI Vasek POSPISIL
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #250
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
I still fear that we've not hit rock bottom in cycling.

Too many people with a doping history are still involved in the sport: not just the famous guys like Riis or Vinokourov but also the lesser known people involved in those teams (the physiotherapists, the mechanics, the drivers,...: many who did their part in the doping circuit).

Some years ago, Museeuw was investigated with quite a bit of evidence not only against Museeuw but also against his team manager Lefevre. Lefevre is still active as a team manager.

Plus, as long as I've been watching the sport, I remember experts saying that events like the 3 big tours (Giro, Tour de France, Vuelta) are too hard on the body to pull off with just a healthy diet. You can't win the event on just good food and water.

Despite that, the events are still tough.
Despite that and despite saying that the EPO days are behind us, cyclists are still racing up and down those hills and mountains at pretty much the same pace if not faster.

How about breaking down the sport to the core: throwing out everybody who was involved with doping, bringing the 3 big tours back to 2 weeks (for example) instead of 3 weeks,...?

I also feel sad for guys like Pantani who did what so many others did but once caught, he was standing alone to face the accusations with everybody around him (just as guilty as him) holding up their hands saying "I knew nothing".
I now also think of Eddy Merckx who stood behind Lance from the start and who is still standing behind Lance Armstrong despite the growing evidence. What to think of him now?
I am literally shocked every single time I hear this argumentation. It's logic is so profoundly, so conspicuously flawed I find it hard to believe people fail to see it.

Grand Tours have been raced since the early days of the 1900s (a bit later in the case of the Vuelta). And, lest we forget, riders did finish those races and one of them did win. That in spite of the fact that bicycles, roads and healthcare were much worse back then than they are now, and stages generally longer and harder.

How on earth would making the races easier make riders stop doping? The routes are the same for everyone. Riders don't dope so that they can complete the race, but because they want to complete the race faster than the rest.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #251
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

We've all won as many TDFs as Lance Armstrong.

Great day for all of us.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #252
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Good riddance, hope this is the last we hear of Armstrong.

Does this mean Ullrich will become the first 4-time Tour de France winner (and Zulle, Beloki and Basso get one each) or will the titles be vacated?
Ullrich was on the juice as well. They all were back then. The best thing to do is render those tainted Tours null and void.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #253
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, Ulrich and Riis at least admitted their guilt without as much pressure (any pressure ?!?). Armstrong was arrogant until the very end.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #254
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Ulrich was found Guilty of Doping in 2005. What are the chances that he was Clean before that?
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #255
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

He admitted he was not. He said he doped as far back as the early 2000s/late 1990s (not clear on that).

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.

Last edited by Looner : 10-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote