Lance Armstrong finally banned for doping - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #151
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong drops fight against US Anti-Doping Agency drug charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
To me it just makes no sense to dope if i am going to be caught some years down the line for sure. I cant believe there are so many idiots in Cycling.
Who says you get caught for sure?
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #152
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong drops fight against US Anti-Doping Agency drug charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Who says you get caught for sure?

What has happened with the Top Cyclists like Armstrong,Ulrich,Basso and so on? Sooner or later they will get caught its obvious. If the Drug Busting Techniques are not up to date with the level of Doping today they will get evolved sooner or later and you have to keep in mind that the Blood Samples would still be present with the authorities in the meantime.

I think one cannot escape from it forever.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #153
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Ullrich was one of the worst dopers on the circuit.

If they DQ Lance's tours, then the 8th or 9th placed will be the best clean rider most probably.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #154
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't even award it, leave it vacant. What's the point in speculating who is "most clean". It's all bullshit, especially if you make an example of someone only to celebrate a second place who was also full of oxygenated blood.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #155
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I meant it in the sense of living for today is a lot more fun than living for yesterday. Not that I think it is likely.

I don't care. I only watch the Tour for the scenery. Now that they will be pedalling slower it will be even nicer.
I see.

Yes, I think Armstrong knew too well giving up is the best thing he could do at this point.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #156
country flag GugaF1

GugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get serious about anit-doping regulation, every major sports needs to allocate something like at least 10% of their profits to enforce anti-doping regulation and being on the cutting edge of testing and research into new Peds development. To leave an open door to PED usage, while having a tiny focus on anti-dope regulation, doing the minimum job, and only blaming the athletes who get caught once a culture of doping is installed is silly. Is like Wall street guys, don't properly regulate and see what the outcome is" oh but they should not better, where is the honour" like you would be so different in that situation.

Last edited by GugaF1 : 08-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.
GugaF1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #157
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GugaF1 View Post
If you want to get serious about anit-doping regulation, every major sports needs to allocate something like at least 10% of their profits to enforce anti-doping regulation and being on the cutting edge of testing and research into new Peds development.
And anti-doping should be enforce by a third party (like WADA) rather than the federation in charge of promoting the sport. There is good evidence that Armstrong was given preferential treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GugaF1 View Post
To leave an open door to PED usage, while having a tiny focus on anti-dope regulation, doing the minimum job, and only blaming the athletes who get caught once a culture of doping is installed is silly. Is like Wall street guys, don't properly regulate and see what the outcome is" oh but they should not better, where is the honour" like you would be so different in that situation.
It is wrong to solely blame the athletes when the authorities ignore the problem, but they are nevertheless at fault. Plenty of athletes have chosen the right path in that situation. Many athletes are perfectly capable of acting ethically and in accordance with the rules. Don't project your own lack of integrity and morals on everyone else. I for one could never be tempted to dope - if I had the athletic talent and ambition to face that choice - because I understand that any "achievement" fueled by illegal drugs or methods is meaningless and hollow. It has no value.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #158
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Lance Armstrong:
Quote:
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
Inspiring...
Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #159
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
A proven (since many years ago) doper finally getting sanctioned and stripped of his titles is why?
Because the whole stuff is dragging on years after years after years and it stll consolidates his fame while we should've turned the page years ago.

There are plenty of other doping cases to be treated and it's about time we move on.

And there are certainly plenty of other cyclists whose performances deserve a mention in newspapers, on TV or on Internet forums ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj
What has happened with the Top Cyclists like Armstrong,Ulrich,Basso and so on?
Something that so far has NOT happened to hundreds of possibly doped cyclists. Thank you.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #160
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Because the whole stuff is dragging on years after years after years and it stll consolidates his fame while we should've turned the page years ago.

There are plenty of other doping cases to be treated and it's about time we move on.

And there are certainly plenty of other cyclists whose performances deserve a mention in newspapers, on TV or on Internet forums ...
Nope, first things first. This case isn't over.
It's time to punish Johan Bruyneel first and next, the UCI has some 'splaining to do. How on earth did the US Postal team know in advance when the doping controls would be? WWhy did Hein Verbruggen facilitate a meeting between Armstrong/Bruyneel and the head of a Swiss doping lab on a new test against EPO? And why did they think it would be apropriate to accept multiple 100.000 + dollar gifts from Armstrong personally?

If we want a clean sport we have to start cleaning up from the top down.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #161
country flag GugaF1

GugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post

It is wrong to solely blame the athletes when the authorities ignore the problem, but they are nevertheless at fault. Plenty of athletes have chosen the right path in that situation. Many athletes are perfectly capable of acting ethically and in accordance with the rules. Don't project your own lack of integrity and morals on everyone else. I for one could never be tempted to dope - if I had the athletic talent and ambition to face that choice - because I understand that any "achievement" fueled by illegal drugs or methods is meaningless and hollow. It has no value.

For the last time, in cycling if you didn't use dope you would not be in the conversation. Let me draw it for you, simpletons like to think there is a clear moral "choice" involved in sports like cycling in that era, please tell me which top cyclist didn't dope from early 90ts until recently and those are just the ones that got caught. While all the top teams and did it. If you didn't do it, you probably would not live of Pro cycling.

Your moral judgments of the situation are meaningless as you are never going to actually be in that situation to tell as much as you like to think you would, is easy for you to judge the lives of those in that situation from the PC and your probably square Swedish meatballs life. What it is immoral is to put athletes to face that paradox. Dope and get in with the culture or go home.

Last edited by GugaF1 : 08-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.
GugaF1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #162
country flag bavaria100

bavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond repute

According to this article, Lance Armstrong and his team US Postal used to get tipped off before doping controls:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/repo...oping-controls

That puts a new spin on "I have never failed a drug test."

29 years ago, one young man conquered the world of Formula 1: Ayrton Senna. You´ll never be forgotten!!!

2012: Year of my TT Comeback
Singles – W: Sarasota, Lexington, Rennes, Challenger Tour Finals F: Orleans SF: Indian Harbour QF: Caloundra, Busan, Vancouver, Istanbul, Medellin, Champaign Doubles – W: Meknes (w/gulzhan) F: Burnie (w/Vilnietė), Sarasota (w/Igorche), Busan (w/Cheeky Chick), St. Remy (w/BrazilTBfan) SF: Indian Harbour (w/Broseghini), Istanbul (w/Mahqz) Won "Challenger Player of the Year" Award
bavaria100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #163
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yes. Drug testers were served coffee and biscuits in the hotel lounge while Armstrong was "taking a shower" (that is, injecting himself saline solutions to mask EPO, etc.).
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #164
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria100 View Post
According to this article, Lance Armstrong and his team US Postal used to get tipped off before doping controls:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/repo...oping-controls

That puts a new spin on "I have never failed a drug test."
And what about this little gem:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12...s-blocked.aspx

Armstrong is a scumbag of the highest order, but I have to give him credit that despite making so many enemies along the way, he has managed to keep a cleanish image until this weekend.
He must have bribed, greased, bullied and coerced a lot of people to stay out of trouble for this long.

Meanwhile, cycling fans have been watching the cycling equivalent of WWF wrestling the way the UCI has been running the show for the past decade or two.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #165
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing how many dumb people there are who still buy into his innocence. I was reading a facebook post of Sports Illustrated and the amount of mugs who are going "leave him alone, wah, wah, wah" is just astonishing. If it was any other athlete, he'd be crucified. Some even made fun of the TdF, the very institution that made this mug famous.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote