Rafael Nadal and his haters - brilliant article - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
country flag Backhand_Maestro

Backhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rafael Nadal and his haters - brilliant article

Quote:
Every few weeks I receive an email with a subject line that reads, “Nadal is a doper.” The message that follows is always about a hundred words, with no puntuation or capital letters. It’s essentially unreadable, though the thrust of it is unmistakable: the author really, really hates Rafael Nadal.

This kind of negative passion is not uncommon in our global tennisverse. I’ve also encountered fans who truly despise Rafa’s great rival, Roger Federer. They find him all too pleased with himself. To me, Federer comes across as rather down to earth for a megamillionaire who has won more major titles -- a whopping 17 -- than anyone else in tennis history. Still, I kind of get where his haters are coming from. There is no angst in Roger Federer; he got rid of every last trace of it -- along with his ponytail -- around the time he won his first Wimbledon. This is hard for some fans to take. Thanks to Ilie Nastase and John McEnroe and Andre Agassi and Jennifer Capriati, we became accustomed to self-loathing tennis stars. We reveled in their psychic pain. Their tirades and destructive behavior made us feel better about ourselves. They may be richer and more talented than we’ll ever be, but that doesn’t make them happy.

But that was then. The world has changed. Everyone on the pro tour today grew up in the Age of Child-Centered Parenting. The tennis circuit is a natural extension of such coddling, especially for the better players. Think Maria Sharapova and her all-enveloping team or Novak Djokovic and his. Top players truly are the center of their own universes
MORE

French Open W (1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981)

Wimbledon W (1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980)

3 Channel Slams; 4 Consecutive RG; 5 Consecutive SW19

GOAT
Backhand_Maestro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal and his haters - brilliant article

Quote:
with no puntuation
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
country flag JoWillyTso
Banned!

JoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond reputeJoWillyTso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
What a joker.
JoWillyTso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
country flag Backhand_Maestro

Backhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeBackhand_Maestro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ouch lol

French Open W (1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981)

Wimbledon W (1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980)

3 Channel Slams; 4 Consecutive RG; 5 Consecutive SW19

GOAT
Backhand_Maestro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
country flag sportstennis
Banned!

sportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal unsportsmansalike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnBi__R4Fs

bump Nadal into Rosol at Wimbledon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQnR...eature=related

arrogant sore loser
sportstennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

17 6 21 77
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good article, although I don't really agree with everything. As someone said, there are reasons to dislike Nadal. His famous fair-play seems to shatter completely when he is losing - and really, that's the only moment when you can really show fair-play. He claims that he does not give excuses for losing, but in reality, he often does (unlike Ferrer, who truly refrains from giving any excuse at all when he loses and will not comment on anything even when it would be justified to do so).

Then, doping is a tricky issue. I used to be a huge cycling fan, and I was watching closely when the Festina case happened in 1998 and all the shattered illusions that came with it. I spent many, many hours reading about doping and trying to figure out the truth of the matter, when so many people were obviously lying about it.
And to be honest, I cannot take the argument that "accusing people without proof" is that terrible, because, the problem with doping is that you almost NEVER have any proof. For years, people like Armstrong have played us for fools, when everyone knew what was happening. And now that it's too late, they are finally coming up with evidence. This is really difficult to accept.
However, even though I am also a pessimist, and would tend to think that doping has been and still is widespread in almost every sport, I see no reason to single out Nadal for this, except that he wins a lot, which is not enough.

Now, what I really wanted to say, is that I share this guy's puzzlement whenever I see messages by haters.
There are players that I don't like, there have always been.
I hated Safin, I hated Hewitt, and (strangely enough) I hated Kuerten. I used to hate Nadal, now I am slowly overcoming that feeling. I've watched videos of him with the other Spanish players, or the one with Federer, when they're laughing incontrollably... I still don't like watching him play but I'm slowly learning to see another side of his personality that I find more pleasant.

But never in my life would I think of writing messages, let alone send e-mails, to express my hatred... I just don't get it. The amount of frustration people must feel to do this...
Maybe because, unlike many haters, I am aware of the fact that my dislike for any player is entirely subjective, and you could even say, unfair. I can dislike a player in spite of a very good attitude on court. I can also overlook a player's bad attitude if I like him (Coria for instance).
I will of course be frustrated whenever a player I dislike defeats someone I like. But celebrating it when one of my "hated" players lose? That's a weird idea to me. It never makes me THAT happy to see anyone lose.
So, in no way would I feel that my hatred for a player is legitimate and deserves to be expressed. I think those people simply have a distorted vision of the nature of their own dislike for a player, and of its importance...

I've just seen that Nadal is out of the US Open, well, I may not regret it truly because it gives more opportunities to other players I like better than him, but I will not celebrate it, either. It's always quite sad when a talented player cannot play because of an injury, so I hope he will recover soon.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

He has "punctuation" now. He wasn't joking. Fail!
redshift36188 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute

bad article

where's the talk about his time-wasting on court. About him constantly breaking the rules. About Toni coaching in a match.
where's the talk about him whining for a bi-annual ranking, in spite it's against the interest of non-top 10 players.
and his bitching about blue clay (it's not the colour that is the problem)
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
bad article

where's the talk about his time-wasting on court. About him constantly breaking the rules. About Toni coaching in a match.
where's the talk about him whining for a bi-annual ranking, in spite it's against the interest of non-top 10 players.
and his bitching about blue clay (it's not the colour that is the problem)
Nice punctuation.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
Nice punctuation.
fo sizzle ma nizzle
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
country flag motorhead

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

awful article.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

nothing new in that article
Old 08-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #15
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
Very good article, although I don't really agree with everything. As someone said, there are reasons to dislike Nadal. His famous fair-play seems to shatter completely when he is losing - and really, that's the only moment when you can really show fair-play. He claims that he does not give excuses for losing, but in reality, he often does (unlike Ferrer, who truly refrains from giving any excuse at all when he loses and will not comment on anything even when it would be justified to do so).

Then, doping is a tricky issue. I used to be a huge cycling fan, and I was watching closely when the Festina case happened in 1998 and all the shattered illusions that came with it. I spent many, many hours reading about doping and trying to figure out the truth of the matter, when so many people were obviously lying about it.
And to be honest, I cannot take the argument that "accusing people without proof" is that terrible, because, the problem with doping is that you almost NEVER have any proof. For years, people like Armstrong have played us for fools, when everyone knew what was happening. And now that it's too late, they are finally coming up with evidence. This is really difficult to accept.
However, even though I am also a pessimist, and would tend to think that doping has been and still is widespread in almost every sport, I see no reason to single out Nadal for this, except that he wins a lot, which is not enough.

Now, what I really wanted to say, is that I share this guy's puzzlement whenever I see messages by haters.
There are players that I don't like, there have always been.
I hated Safin, I hated Hewitt, and (strangely enough) I hated Kuerten. I used to hate Nadal, now I am slowly overcoming that feeling. I've watched videos of him with the other Spanish players, or the one with Federer, when they're laughing incontrollably... I still don't like watching him play but I'm slowly learning to see another side of his personality that I find more pleasant.

But never in my life would I think of writing messages, let alone send e-mails, to express my hatred... I just don't get it. The amount of frustration people must feel to do this...
Maybe because, unlike many haters, I am aware of the fact that my dislike for any player is entirely subjective, and you could even say, unfair. I can dislike a player in spite of a very good attitude on court. I can also overlook a player's bad attitude if I like him (Coria for instance).
I will of course be frustrated whenever a player I dislike defeats someone I like. But celebrating it when one of my "hated" players lose? That's a weird idea to me. It never makes me THAT happy to see anyone lose.
So, in no way would I feel that my hatred for a player is legitimate and deserves to be expressed. I think those people simply have a distorted vision of the nature of their own dislike for a player, and of its importance...

I've just seen that Nadal is out of the US Open, well, I may not regret it truly because it gives more opportunities to other players I like better than him, but I will not celebrate it, either. It's always quite sad when a talented player cannot play because of an injury, so I hope he will recover soon.
Agreed. Although Nadal's physique, incredible stamina and recovery time between matches, his peaks and troughs in performance are probably also used by those who ask questions of doping controls in tennis and their effectiveness...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote