Copa Argentina de Tennis - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:22 AM   #91
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Copa Argentina de Tennis

Thanks for your report Jazz - and Nova - don't be sad - next year you will see our David playing in the Masters' in Shanghai So here is a short report from Clarins on last night's match, with the link to the original...........

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pa...sp?pagId=890236

Dos pesados se encontrarán en la final de la Copa Argentina, a partir de las 19.30 (ESPN+), en la cancha dura del Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis. Gastón Gaudio venció 3-6, 6-3 y 6-4 a Agustín Calleri en la primera semifinal. Gaudio estaba 3-0 en el tercero con dos quiebres a favor, cuando el cordobés empezó a jugarse un poco más. El campeón de Roland Garros no pudo aprovechar para conservar la ventaja y definirlo con mayor comodidad. Ahora se encontrará en la final con David Nalbandian —el viernes a la noche venció a Mariano Zabaleta 7-6 (5), 1-6 y 7-6 (4)—, quien derrotó al misionero José Acasuso por 6-2 y 7-6 (5).

"Me sentí mucho más suelto que frente a Zabaleta. Todavía estamos todos un poco duros por la pretemporada. Eso se sumó a los problemas que tuve (NdeR: murió su padre hace una semana) ¿Objetivos de 2005? Jugar más torneos, ganar un Grand Slam y la Davis, que está pendiente", dijo David. "No jugaba acá desde la Davis con Rusia. Sentí el afecto de la gente y lo agradezco".

El campeón se llevará un Peugeot 206 de premio. A las 17.30, habrá exhibición de dobles entre Etlis-Rodríguez y Prieto-Hood.

TRANSLATION

Two big stars will be in the final of the Copa Argentina at 7.30pm tonight on the hard courts of Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club. Last night Gastón Gaudio overcame Agustín Calleri 3-6, 6-3 , 6-4 in the first semifinal. Gaudio was 3-0 ahead in the third with two breaks in his favour, when the Cordoban began to take more risks. The Roland Garros champion could not take advantage of his lead to win with a greater margin. But he won through and will be in the final against David Nalbandian.

On Friday night Nalbandian beat Mariano Zabaleta 7-6 (5), 1-6 and 7-6 (4), and last night in the semis he beat Jose Acasuso 6-2, 7-6(5). After the semi-final Nalbandian said - "I felt much more relaxed today than I did when I played Zabaleta. Still we're a little stiff and out of practice because it's the pre-season. Plus, of course, my own problems didn't help" (his Father Norberto died one week ago). "My objectives for 2005 are to play more matches, win a Grand Slam and the Davis Cup", He continued "I haven't played here at home since the Davis Cup tie against Russia. I felt the affection from the people and it made me feel great". The champion will take away a Peugeot 206 car as a prize. At 5.30pm, there will be doubles' exhibition match bewteen Etlis-Rodriguez and Prieto-Hood.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #92
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you sooo much to everyone!!! It was the final I wanted as well. When Gastón lost the first set I thought it was gonna be Calleri's triumph, but Gastón did it! I guess he likes having Maradona there to support him
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #93
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope Diego doesn't take to the court.

It would be funny if you had a section of Independiente fans on one side and the River fans on the other, but from I gather the atmosphere seems to be very good and almost football like.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #94
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great atmosphere. In fact, when they're presenting each player, they say their football club, even for the umpires LOL!
Old 12-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #95
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
It's a great atmosphere. In fact, when they're presenting each player, they say their football club, even for the umpires LOL!
I think I spoke to an umpire here this year and he said he was a San Lorenzo fan, so any San Lorenzo fans besides Squillari?

In Argentina that makes sense I think and who does chubby Chela support?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-19-2004, 12:43 PM   #96
country flag jazz_girl

One of the umpires was from San Lorenzo, and this guy was given the gold badge, which means he can be the umpire in GS finals from now on. The other umpire was a Ferro fan.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #97
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_girl
One of the umpires was from San Lorenzo, and this guy was given the gold badge, which means he can be the umpire in GS finals from now on. The other umpire was a Ferro fan.
Cool that must have been him that I spoke to, but I do want to go to the B. As tournament in the future, preferably when Gaston and Cañas are still playing.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #98
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a nice interview from the Cordoban newspaper "La Voz del Interior". As usual - sorry for my poor translation. Also- here is the link.............

http://www.lavozdelinterior.net/2004...ta291960_1.htm

El profesional

Pudo haber puesto una excusa y no jugar, pero no, vino al Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis. Con el ánimo por el piso, David Nalbandian se sobrepuso a la muerte de su papá el domingo pasado y cumplió con el compromiso asumido. En las tribunas lo acompañó su familia: su mamá Alda, sus hermanos Darío y Javier, y su novia Victoria, todos unidos por y frente al dolor.

La faceta profesional del top 10 cordobés fue muy reconocida en la Catedral del tenis argentino. Cuando entró a la cancha para debutar ante Mariano Zabaleta (al que le ganó 7/6 (7-5), 1/6 y 7/6 (7-4), el público no lo ovacionó sino que le brindó su afecto. El “vamos David” dominó la noche, en ese ida y vuelta con el afecto de la gente, que volvió a verlo jugar en Buenos Aires después de un año y ocho meses.

No estuvo de ánimo, es cierto. Tampoco jugó en buen nivel, más bien se conectó un par de veces como para inclinar la balanza del partido, y mucho menos festejó. Pero estuvo en la cancha. Más tarde, a las 2 de la madrugada del sábado, se presentó a la conferencia de prensa y respondió responsable y medido a cada pregunta.
Mucho trabajo

“Con todo lo que viví en los últimos días fue como complicado concentrarme. Además, me siento duro por el trabajo de la pretemporada, ya que estoy haciendo algo bien intenso para no tener tantas lesiones como en la última temporada que me quitaron ritmo”, dijo el cordobés, siempre con los ojos enrojecidos y con la voz más baja de lo habitual.

Cuando Luis Lobo, ex doblista de Copa Davis y organizador del evento, le preguntó horas antes del partido sobre qué iba a hacer, David le dijo: “vengo a ganar”, a lo que "Lobito" respondió: “Si tenés esa entereza, vas a ser el número uno del mundo”.

En los momentos duros, la actitud profesional tiene un doble valor. Tal vez es parte de un homenaje íntimo a su papá, o un retorno a las fuentes en la adversidad, pero lo cierto es que vino y cumplió. Papá Norberto debe estar contento

TRANSLATION

The professional

He could have made an excuse not to play, but no, he came to Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club. With his spirits low due to the death of his Father last week, David Nalbandian fulfilled his commitment. In the stands were his family - his Mother Alda, his brothers Darío and Javier, and his girfriend Victoria. They stood all together to face their pain.

The professional behaviour of the top 10 player from Cordoba was recognized in the home of Argentine tennis. When he entered the court to make his debut against Mariano Zabaleta (which he gained 7/6 (7-5), 1/6 , 7/6 (7-4), the public gave him an affectionate ovation. Cries of "Vamos David" dominated the night, with great affection from people who had come back to see him play in Buenos Aires after a year and eight months away.
He was not at his best - that is certain. He did not play to his best level and did not seem to be enjoying himself. The match finished in the early hours of Saturday, and David appeared in the press conference and responded slowly and carefully to each question. He said "What I have been through in the last days was hard and complicated. It is hard for me to concentrate. In addition, I feel tired as it is the pre-season .I am working intensively to make sure I don't have so many injuries as I did last season". The Cordoban player had eyes reddened from crying and his voice was much lower than his usual tone. When Luis Lobo, ex Davis Cup doubles player and now organiser of the event, asked him hours before the event what he was going to do, David said to him: "I'm coming to win", to which "Lobito" responded: "If that is your attitude, you're going to be number one of the world".

At the hardest moments, David's professional attitude had a double value. Perhaps it is part of his ultimate private tribute to his Father, or a return to his roots in adversity, but the certain thing is, that he came and fulfilled his promise. Norberto, his Father, must be contented

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 12-19-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:27 PM   #99
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Thanks for that Rosie and the Spanish lessons must have worked and this event will make him even stronger and I love what Vilas said about him. "He has the capacity to make the other guy play like shit".

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-19-2004, 09:55 PM   #100
country flag ataxie

ataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant futureataxie has a brilliant future

You can follow the score here:

http://www3.terra.com.ar/canales/tenis/tenis.html

http://sites.estvideo.net/gastongaudioweb/
ataxie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 AM   #101
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to congratulate David, though he lost to Gaston 6/4 4/6 2/6.

He has made the courageous choice to take part to the Copa and has wonderfully played to reach the final. Not everybody, given the circumstances, would have been able to do as much. So congratulations David for everything...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #102
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Choupi. Must admit I was really hoping David would eventually win a final. I got up to check the result and can't deny that I burst into tears when I saw the score - it would have meant so much to him - but I'm glad it was Gaston who won. Congrats to Gaston - so sorry David

Old 12-20-2004, 12:55 AM   #103
country flag jazz_girl

Ok guys, I'm back. And I'm terribly sad!!!
David started well, playing a good first set, but then he wasn't precise and Gastón took advantage of it. It was a very nice match from Gastón
But I'm sad cause when David lost and he had to give the speech he indicated with his head that he couldn't make it, so the corwd applauded him even more and he started to cry It was very emotional, and then Gastón thanked the crowd and mentioned David's situation and how brave he was. Luis Lobo did the same thing and went with David out of the court.
Lobo has been taking care of David during the whole exhibition, I could see it yesterday when David was watching the prior matches and Luis hugged him and kissed him and spent all the time talking to him. The crowd was great, very respectful and thankful for his fight and spirit.
And finally, I want to congratulate Gastón for this win, he trully deserved it
Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 AM   #104
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

I'm sorry that you're so sad Jazz.......watching David lose a final is always upsetting (I've seen enough of them ), and under these circumstances it must have been heart-rending. I just hope that in time you remember all the good times of this tournament and your memories are not ruined by the end. As for David - I am sad - so very sad- that he couldn't take this final step- for him and for his family. I hope in time he looks back on this Copa Argentina as a good experience which gained him a lot of friends, respect and admiration, instead of feeling let down that he has lost yet another final The next few weeks will not be easy for him - the first "anniversary" (Christmas,Birthday etc) after a loved one has passed away are always the hardest,and David has everything to deal with in a short time.I pray that he has the strength to get through this and come back strong in 2005.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 AM   #105
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

I can't be too happy about the particular circumstances of Gaston winning.

So I'll say I saw David breaking down and he showed great courage just turning up and playing the event. Sure it was painful for him, but this experience will make him even stronger, but I am very happy that the crowd showed him respect and as Rosie said he gained a lot of respect this week due to the courage he showed by turning up to play.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1