Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates (Their rivalry) - Page 32 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2012 year-end H2H?

Djokovic will take the lead 31 50.82%
Federer will claim his trophy 25 40.98%
They will end in a draw, for the first time 1 1.64%
I don't know. But this should be an official ATP award, it's amazing. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #466
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer looks at Novak as the real no. 1 and best HC player atm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeVolley View Post
In case you'd forgotten, Federer had mono during the Australian Open 2008 (and recurring for a large part of that year actually). Fair enough, in the 2011 match Nole was just far superior, but in 2012 he didn't look anywhere near as invincible (lost a set to Hewitt, was taken to five by Murray and Nadal).

The match-up/mental issue/choke (or whatever you want to call it) happened against Nadal in the Semi-final as it nearly always does, but before that Federer looked the strongest of the Top 3. He hadn't lost a set (in fact, I don't think he'd been broken?) and was running high on confidence from the end of the previous year.

Obviously, Djokovic won more matches than anybody else and deserved the title, but if he had drawn Federer I don't think the match would have been anything close to a "bitchslap", rather; I think Federer would have won in 4.

No point in speculating really, but if you're going to bring up their rivalry at the AO at least put it into context...
Delpo took one game off him in 1st set.
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #467
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
In 2008 and 2011, Nole made the two best slams of his life, he was much more vulnerable in the AO 2012.

I really think he would have lose against Federer in this AO 2012 because he was average while Federer was very convincing. But we'll never know, and such things happen all the time.

Would Federer have won the FO 2009 without Sod? Probably no
Would Fed have won the AO 2006 without Baghdatis? Probably no
Would Nadal have won the French 2011 without Federer? Probably no
Would Djokovic have won Wimbly 2011 without Tsonga? Probably no
AO 2006? Why?

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #468
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Truth + mindgames.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #469
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates - Year End Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
AO 2006? Why?
I`m not bounccer, but isn`t it obvious if you watched that whole tournament? Nalby would have taken it more likely than not.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #470
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Even Olderer admits who is best player in the world.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #471
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
I`m not bounccer, but isn`t it obvious if you watched that whole tournament? Nalby would have taken it more likely than not.
I didn't. I watched the final though. Couldn't follow much of the tournament that year.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #472
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

The Humble GOAT in action.

Quote:
The Nalbandian who choked a 2-set lead against an on-the-ropes-Baggy was more likely than not to beat Federer in the final?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: are you kidding me? No.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #473
country flag Sanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
The Humble GOAT in action.

The Nalbandian who recently won against Federer in WTF final?
Yes, that Nalby.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #474
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, that Nalby.
Against Federer who couldn't move for the last 2 an a half sets. Even then Nalby almost choked it away from 4-0 up in the 5th to Federer serving for it at 6-5. No, he was not winning that AO.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #475
country flag Sanya

Quote:
Against Federer who couldn't move for the last 2 an a half sets. Even then Nalby almost choked it away from 4-0 up in the 5th to Federer serving for it at 6-5. No, he was not winning that AO.
It`s true that Federer moved bad during WTF, but the same can be said about AO where he also worse hit the ball if you ask me. He was on the ropes with Haas, Davydenko. Kiefer took a set from him, Bagda was 7-5, 2-0 and bp in the final. I still think that if Roger had lost that point at *0-2, 30-40 in second (tough long rally) and became two breaks down it would have been extremly hard even for him to come back and win.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #476
country flag IOFH

Quote:
It`s true that Federer moved bad during WTF, but the same can be said about AO where he also worse hit the ball if you ask me. He was on the ropes with Haas, Davydenko. Kiefer took a set from him, Bagda was 7-5, 2-0 and bp in the final. I still think that if Roger had lost that point at *0-2, 30-40 in second (tough long rally) and became two breaks down it would have been extremly hard even for him to come back and win.
Fed was injured in the YEC final (the ankle injury which had forced him to rest for the few weeks before the YEC), he was just feeling nervous at AO '06. I don't remember why but all the talk was that there seemed to be huge pressure on Fed in that tournament which came through in the trophy ceremony.

Baggy was done after 2 sets, he had no energy left after the grueling tournament. Had Federer went 0-2 down I still have no doubt he would've won in 5.

If Nalbandian chokes from complete control, 2-0 against a tired Baggy, how do you imagine he would've beaten Federer in a GS final?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #477
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

delusional posters here

it was 2006 dudes... 2006!!!! best year of Fed's career, and u think nalby would have taken fed in the final??
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #478
country flag Sanya

Quote:
Fed was injured in the YEC final (the ankle injury which had forced him to rest for the few weeks before the YEC), he was just feeling nervous at AO '06. I don't remember why but all the talk was that there seemed to be huge pressure on Fed in that tournament which came through in the trophy ceremony.

Baggy was done after 2 sets, he had no energy left after the grueling tournament. Had Federer went 0-2 down I still have no doubt he would've won in 5.

If Nalbandian chokes from complete control, 2-0 against a tired Baggy, how do you imagine he would've beaten Federer in a GS final?
I remember well that tournament, watched a lot of matches. Fed won almost every meeting due to his name - great Roger Federer, but play of his normal standart wasn`t there. Kolya never believed in himself on big points with Roger - remember all their matches. Haas began playing well, when realized that he is 0-2 sets down and didn`t catch time to recover. Baggy - it was his first such final, he just won very competitive match and in some moment stopped to play freely.

If you remember back then Nalby was Roger`s hardest opponent after Nadal and the hardest on hard courts. David would never choke against Rogie as Baggy. As for his semi`s loss from 2-0... Well, it happens. Such thing happened with Nole at RG-10, for example. He relaxed too early.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #479
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post

I really think he would have lose against Federer in this AO 2012 because he was average while Federer was very convincing. But we'll never know, and such things happen all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed fordawin View Post
Federer taking a page from Nadal's book

Fed was playing way better than Novak at both the AO and USO. In USO Djoko got lucky (you can't say you're better than the opponent when you have to save match points) and at the AO Fed was beaten by his nemesis, but he would have buutchered Djoko had they met.
Agree.

Last edited by Roy Emerson : 08-19-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #480
country flag IOFH

Quote:
I remember well that tournament, watched a lot of matches. Fed won almost every meeting due to his name - great Roger Federer, but play of his normal standart wasn`t there. Kolya never believed in himself on big points with Roger - remember all their matches. Haas began playing well, when realized that he is 0-2 sets down and didn`t catch time to recover. Baggy - it was his first such final, he just won very competitive match and in some moment stopped to play freely.

If you remember back then Nalby was Roger`s hardest opponent after Nadal and the hardest on hard courts. David would never choke against Rogie as Baggy. As for his semi`s loss from 2-0... Well, it happens. Such thing happened with Nole at RG-10, for example. He relaxed too early.
Fed was playing nervous and streaky in all those matches. When he got it together he was dominant, but in those matches his level wasn't consistent. 5th set against Haas, 3rd and 4th against Kiefer and Baggy was the tennis we all know he could play.

Fed destroyed Nalby 2, 4 and 1 at USO '05.

"David would never choke against Rogie as Baggy." Why not? If anything he would've choked much more likely than ahainst Baggy.

You can believe what you want but I find the notion of Nalby more likely than not beating Federer in tha final laughable.