In light of today's Nadal news, hard not to think of this article from '09... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
country flag PitsOfTheWorld

PitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond repute
Default In light of today's Nadal news, hard not to think of this article from '09...

New York Times Magazine, June 2009, by Cynthia Gorney.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/ma...ted=all?src=tp

"Ripped. (Or Torn Up?)"

"Rafael Nadal has muscled his way to the top of pro tennis. But will his strength and ferocity ultimately betray him?"

Really great read, both glowing of Nadal and his determination and greatness, while portending potential long-term disaster in terms of injuries.
"A tacit rhetorical assumption here is that you have very probably never heard of Michael Joyce of Brentwood, L.A... Nor of Vince Spadea nor Jonathan Stark...--all ranked in the world’s top one hundred at one point in 1995. Nor of Jeff Tarango, sixty-eight in the world, unless you remember his unfortunate psychotic breakdown in full public view during last year’s Wimbledon.

You are invited to try to imagine what it would be like to be among the hundred best in the world at something. At anything. I have tried to imagine; it’s hard."
--David Foster Wallace (), "Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness"
PitsOfTheWorld is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In light of today's Nadal news, hard not to think of this article from '09...

The guy has spent 7 or 8 years now in the top echelon of men's tennis, even if he's done now because of injuries (and I don't think he is), he's hardly had a hasty burn-out like many predicted. I mean, how many years are you supposed to keep this level up? Federer and Agassi are exceptions, not the rule.