WWW US Open 2012: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2012 US Open

R. Federer 63 49.61%
N. Djokovic 32 25.20%
R. Nadal 5 3.94%
A. Murray 17 13.39%
D. Ferrer 0 0%
J. Tsonga 2 1.57%
T. Berdych 0 0%
J. Del Potro 3 2.36%
J. Isner 1 0.79%
Other 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute
Default WWW US Open 2012: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion

It is now just 3 weeks to the start of the final major of the year, the US Open.

Some discussion points:

We should have a pretty good idea of the main contenders and possible spoilers from recent events. Toronto and Cincinnati are the big tournaments prior to the US Open and might help give us even a better idea, especially Cincinnati.

There were complaints from players last year because of the slowness of the US Open courts. Will the USTA react and put less sand in the usual paint resurfacing and speed things up? There have been rumors to that effect, but nobody will know for sure until players start practicing on it, qualifying begins, and the first matches are underway.

How well will the main contenders be prepared and with what confidence levels?
Will Rafael Nadal be able to get enough matches in to be a serious factor after his latest bout with tendinitis?
Will Roger Federer be buoyed by his Wimbledon win and his simultaneous leap back to #1 to give him the confidence to get back to the Open final?
Will Andy Murray's Olympic victory carry him to his first major win?
Will Novak Djokovic be able to regain his mojo on the hard courts to overcome the recent hot players and successfully defend his second major this year?
Will a healthy Juan Martin Del Potro be able to rekindle his glory at the scene of his lone major triumph after a positive Olympics campaign?
Do you see any others with a chance to get into the semifinals and advance, or whom do you see as spoilers for the top contenders?

Discuss at will, but please attempt to keep the discussion free of hate/insult/trolling/baiting type comments. I'll put up a poll.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WWW US Open 2012: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion

With Murray's recent level of play I'm torn which one I want in Fed's half, him or Nadal.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer.

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
country flag venky91

venky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond reputevenky91 has a reputation beyond repute

These days, I think Roger's best chances at a major is at the US Open. I didn't expect him to win in Wimbledon, because his form on grass isn't what it once was.

I'm calling it now though, Del Potro will win it.
venky91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
With Murray's recent level of play I'm torn which one I want in Fed's half, him or Nadal.
I would think if one is a Federer fan, one would hope that Murray is in the Djokovic half.
We don't even know if Rafa will be ready to play, and perhaps his chances will be slimmer of making it through if he does play.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How quickly people forget.

Nadal is a horrible matchup for Roger anywhere outdoors. Murray is anyday a better deal for Rog. And actually, I think the way he lost today (the first two sets were pure annihilation) will fire him up next time he sees Murray across the net.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Roger rests up (skips Cincy too if he has to) and can come back strong at Flushing Meadows...He deserves another final there given the SF heartbreaks last two years. Hope to see u back On final sunday again Fed, lets win this
Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you have to ask you haven't been a Fed fan long enough.

Anyway, I'm concerned with Nole's mentality this year. He seems like a bratty child compared to 2011. Hopefully he gets his act together and ends this year on a positive note.
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis

I am a fan of no tennis player.

'Honestly' called my trolling low quality
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

With Tsonga, Delpo and Berdych all ranked 5-8, at least three of the top 4 will have very tough QF matches, which is good.

Hope we see Federer vs Berdych, Nole/Murray vs Tsonga and Delpo vs Nadal.

Should be a great tournament, Djokovic is the favorite imo, but Federer will be motivated, Nadal will be back, Murray is making strides, Del Potro is back and Tsonga and Berdych can cause upsets. Plus some potential sleepers in the draw, should be great.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
country flag lazybear

lazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond reputelazybear has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think that for the first time in like... forever, this one will be really wide open. I know, i know, many said this many times in the last couple years but really, you can argue that every single one of Roger, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, and Del Potro has a solid chance.

Nadal will be rested, and of course we know what a beast he is at the majors, Djokovic is probably the best hard court player at the moment, Roger won Wimbledon, and he's very consistent in the last 12 months.

And of course Del Potro, a guy that probably has a game that when he's on, it's really hard to come up with anything if you face him. I'm really looking forward to this tournament, and if Roger can't win it, i'd love to see a Del Potro-Murray final.
lazybear is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
With Tsonga, Delpo and Berdych all ranked 5-8, at least three of the top 4 will have very tough QF matches, which is good.

Hope we see Federer vs Berdych, Nole/Murray vs Tsonga and Delpo vs Nadal.

Should be a great tournament, Djokovic is the favorite imo, but Federer will be motivated, Nadal will be back, Murray is making strides, Del Potro is back and Tsonga and Berdych can cause upsets. Plus some potential sleepers in the draw, should be great.
Yeah but we don't need another Tsonga-Djokovic

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
How quickly people forget.

Nadal is a horrible matchup for Roger anywhere outdoors. Murray is anyday a better deal for Rog. And actually, I think the way he lost today (the first two sets were pure annihilation) will fire him up next time he sees Murray across the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
If you have to ask you haven't been a Fed fan long enough.

Anyway, I'm concerned with Nole's mentality this year. He seems like a bratty child compared to 2011. Hopefully he gets his act together and ends this year on a positive note.
I meant that Nadal could be rusty and unconfident and could also taken out before SF more likely than Murray.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
Yeah but we don't need another Tsonga-Djokovic
Their last GS match went down to the wire. Like Berdych, Tsonga can beat anyone when 'on' (actually more so, Berdych can't beat Nadal), I'm sure Nole will not want to face him.

Thinking of it again, I want:

Federer vs Tsonga

Nadal vs Del Potro

Djokovic vs Ferrer

Murray vs Berdych

Nole is my favorite top 4 player, so let him get Ferrer.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Their last GS match went down to the wire. Like Berdych, Tsonga can beat anyone when 'on' (actually more so, Berdych can't beat Nadal), I'm sure Nole will not want to face him.

Thinking of it again, I want:

Federer vs Tsonga

Nadal vs Del Potro

Djokovic vs Ferrer

Murray vs Berdych

Nole is my favorite top 4 player, so let him get Ferrer.
Give Djoko Isner atleast so we can get 4 exciting matches.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

I think Haas might get to a QF or something with a good draw.

Also, I think Federer would rather have Nadal on his side of the draw than Murray. Whoever gets Murray between Djoko and Federer will have to battle out really hard on saturday, Nadal probably wont even get to SF and I think even if he gets there the courts might be too fast and low bouncing for him to cause problems to Federer.