From Silverer to Golderer - Roger Going for the Golden Swansong in Rio - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Fed play and get the gold in Rio

He will play Rio and get the Gold 22 25.00%
He will play Rio and miss out yet again 37 42.05%
He will not play until Rio 29 32.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Silverer to Golderer - Roger Going for the Golden Swansong in Rio

I thought it wasn't yet certain if it was clay or HC.

Anyway I think (and definitely hope) he will be playing then but don't think he'll get the gold, doubt even a medal. Not that it matter with a doubles gold and singles silver anyway. It will come down to specific form at that point and luck as well with BO3 so it's completely impossible to say with any certainty what result will be likely.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #32
country flag nastoff
LIFETIME MUG

nastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Silverer to Golderer - Roger Going for the Golden Swansong in Rio

make the Olympics a yearly or two-yearly event and Rogi might just do it....if they don't play on clay, that is.
nastoff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
country flag Aloevera

Aloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just remembered it's indeed possible for him to participate in Rio, but not for the sake of chasing singles gold. It's more realistic to go for golds in both mens/mixed doubles events only.

Hopefully, with Hingis...
Aloevera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope Roger can get the gold in 2016.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #35
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Rio Olympics BMM: R. Federer beats K. Nishikori 6-4 3-6 7-6 (Deciding set tie break will be introduced by then)
To complete the set.
Oh ya, and Federer and Allegro win doubles Gold.
So, he retires with 2G 1S 1B. Not bad.

EDIT: In case it was not clear, Allegro comes out of retirement
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post

His forehand was deadly today and he went for it .Federer's service was a bit poor and he maybe was a bit flat from that long semi .At 31 its tough to recover from matches like these
If his forehand was "deadly" today, he wouldn't have hit only 8 forehand winners in the entire match against a man whose predominant weakness in recent years has been his movement towards his forehand side, aside from today when Federer's movement was far weaker than normal. Federer was also hitting very weak approach shots where he was barely passed the service line to the Murray forehand.

Federer recorded 31 unforced errors according to the statistician today, though I believe there are more. It's just his considerably weaker movement today made some of Murray's shots look better than they actually were. I have never seen Federer's agility so weak, he couldn't get back into the middle of the court after being pushed out wide and his attempt (and decision) at running around the backhand was abysmal today for two reasons. 1. Because he simply didn't possess the foot speed today and 2. Because when he did run around it, he was well out of position and he knew in his own mind today that he was flat physically and had to hit almost an outright winner, which disabled him from playing freely and actually even making the court.

Nevermind those dismal backhand slice returns that floated and sat up for Murray to pound.

Then there's the usual lack of break point chances converted, which were caused by an accumulation of these factors.

It's an understatement to say Federer was a "bit flat" today. A "bit flat" 7 time Wimbledon champion does not get crucified by the man he beat in 4 sets only a month ago on this court and in doing so receives one of his biggest beatdowns of all time.

I am not discrediting Murray, he did what he had to do and he was gracious in victory, but let's not kid ourselves.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #37
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer

"It almost feels like a gold medal for me, even though it's just silver. But that's enough for me"
Rio 2016 - not looking so bright IMO.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry this was his chance. 4 years is a long time. Tennis has become more physical. You can already tell Federer got problems getting around to his forehand as often as only 2-3 years ago and he often gets pinned down in baseline rallies.

Only his supreme serve and talent still allows him to win tournaments (and even slams). But in 2016 he will have lost even more in the baseline rallies.

Players with a strong baseline game will control Federer more than he can control them. Then he might be forced to hang up the racket so when the twins start to remember things they see the old vids of a god of tennis instead of the shade of his former self he will be in 2016
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #39
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute

Can Federer win gold singles in Rio in 2016? Unlikely, but it could happen of course. It depends on what level he's playing in 2016, and the level of his competitors. To stay at the top for another 4 years would take a huge sacrifice on his part, and can he bothered? Mens tennis is too competitive. There's no way a half retired Federer could just come out of semi-retirement and win a slam like Serena Williams or Kim Cliesters can in womans' tennnis. So he's going to have to maintain his level for four years - a huge ask.

What about the rivals? The younger generation at the moment look no where near as good as Federer currently is. Murray and Djokovic will almost certainly still be around. Ditto Del Potro. Nadal will probably be finished though.

Verdict: If Fed wants it, he could do it. If he's half hearted, he won't get close.
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Rio will be in clay right?

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #41
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloevera View Post
Yeah, I just remembered it's indeed possible for him to participate in Rio, but not for the sake of chasing singles gold. It's more realistic to go for golds in both mens/mixed doubles events only.

Hopefully, with Hingis...
She is not that old right? They could slay in mixed, muurray almost got gold with Robeson!

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #42
country flag AntiTennis

AntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Some quotes he said today about this:

"It's not impossible that I could take part in Rio. But right now, I mean, in the meantime I could retire and come back. It's that long of a break," he said, smiling.

"It's not front and centre in my mind. But, of course, I'd love an Olympic gold in singles. But I am very happy with an Olympic silver in singles ... Obviously, I'd love to be part of it. We'll see how it goes."

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

He's speculating about coming out of retirement to play it.........
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #44
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has better chances getting 4 more Slams than getting an OG gold, at least in singles.

At 35 he'd be embarassing himself if he tries to pay in Brazil.

But what he's achieved thus far is beyond incredible, so from no on nothing matters anymore for him, tittles or no tittles
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #45
country flag Chair Umpire
Banned!

Chair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond repute

Is this thread for real? Roger's chances for the Golden Slam vanished today folks.

He played on his beloved Wimbledon's grass, against a guy he already beat just a couple of weeks ago, everything was on his side and he still failed miserably.

Now, in Rio 2016 they will play on clay most likely and Roger will be too old to have real chances.
Chair Umpire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote