Are people now finally convinced Del Potro isn't a 'fluke'/flash in the pan? - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #151
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people now finally convinced Del Potro isn't a 'fluke'/flash in the pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
I disagree completely here. Del Potro's problem has never been UEs. Unlike Berdych and Soderling, he plays high % big hitting, hitting hard down the middle until getting a short ball to put away. This is enough to dominate low ranked players easily (unlike Berdych and Soderling who are often victim to shock losses), but his problem against the top players has often been not taking enough risks, playing it too safe. He was far more aggressive this week, more than he had ever been since his comeback. UEs have never been a problem. His serve, yes, it's poor for a big man and needs to keep improving.

His injury isn't blamed for his current losses, but for stunting his development; I'm afraid he can never get back the years he lost, although he's still young and can have a great career regardless.
How can you say he doesn't have a problem when he serves first in a 17-19 lost third set without generating a single matchpoint?

It was pathetic to watch Federer block and slice to the middle of the court and while Del Potro punished him sometimes he missed just as much. That's not a sign of a player in control.

Many games Federers serve was clicking and Delpo UEed so badly Fed could hold easily with 2nd serves and rally shots to the middle. It was honestly kinda pathetic for long stretches.

Del Potro needs to understand that when a top player goes defensive vs him it's more important to not gift away points than to hit winners. Federer, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic are all way to secure to gift him right back if he keeps wasting chances.

The entire 3rd set by Del Potro was a big wasted chance and not because of Federers high level but because Del Potro himself couldn't play with the margins to put pressure on Federer. He served first for gods sake and yet failed to apply pressure because of his errors and wild chance shots. Only time it worked was when Federer served for the match and then for once he could string together a few good shots.

But I honestly lost count on how many 2nd serves and short balls Del Potro just whacked in the net or out. If you serve first in a 3rd set, lose it 17-19 and didn't generate a single matchpoint then you got a big problem stringing together points.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #152
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people now finally convinced Del Potro isn't a 'fluke'/flash in the pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
How can you say he doesn't have a problem when he serves first in a 17-19 lost third set without generating a single matchpoint?

It was pathetic to watch Federer block and slice to the middle of the court and while Del Potro punished him sometimes he missed just as much. That's not a sign of a player in control.

Many games Federers serve was clicking and Delpo UEed so badly Fed could hold easily with 2nd serves and rally shots to the middle. It was honestly kinda pathetic for long stretches.

Del Potro needs to understand that when a top player goes defensive vs him it's more important to not gift away points than to hit winners. Federer, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic are all way to secure to gift him right back if he keeps wasting chances.

The entire 3rd set by Del Potro was a big wasted chance and not because of Federers high level but because Del Potro himself couldn't play with the margins to put pressure on Federer. He served first for gods sake and yet failed to apply pressure because of his errors and wild chance shots. Only time it worked was when Federer served for the match and then for once he could string together a few good shots.

But I honestly lost count on how many 2nd serves and short balls Del Potro just whacked in the net or out. If you serve first in a 3rd set, lose it 17-19 and didn't generate a single matchpoint then you got a big problem stringing together points.

He does have a problem, but it's not UE. Federer is a death matchup for him: he can never get a good read of the Federer serve and he can't deal with his variation either. In order to beat Federer, he needs to go for more than usual, which brings UE count up of course. Still, I rewatched the Olympic semis and most of the errors were forced, from both sides (Federer and Delpo).

Delpo's problem was that Federer was serving great, and as usual he couldn't get a read on the serve, otherwise he could very well have won. It's no secret he struggles against Federer. Did you watch the bronze medal against Djokovic, he played very well there, extremely clutch on big points too.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #153
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
It's pretty much like when Iva Majoli won the French...

It's nothing like that...
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #154
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yeah, maybe it's a bit hyperbolic, but whenever a player goes through surgery there's always a chance he might never fully recover, so there was a risk. More than the injury itself, the fact that he basically lost two years of his career (one off the tour, the tour trying to come back) has hurt him a lot, at his age those were important development years, not to mention his rivals at the top of the game kept working on their game while he was sidelined.

I agree that it was not the worst injury ever or anything, but it definitely derailed his progress and put his career at the highest level at least at risk. But he seems to be bouncing back, that's what's important.

His ROS is alright. The only player whose serve he always seems unable to return properly is Federer, he just can't get a rid of his serve. With none of his younger opponents being a great server, improving his ROS isn't that prioritary, he can return Nole and Nadal's serve just fine.
Federer and Nadal certainly never got any better. Djokovic's fitness improved out of nowhere in 2011 and thus the results came. I think the other top dogs certainly benefited from Del Potro's and Davydenko's absence in the latter stages of tournaments. Then Soderling got problems.

Like they had too much competition to begin with...
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #155
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
It's nothing like that...
True. Majoli has 2 Tier 1 tournaments to back her GS win, del Flukro has none.

My bad.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #156
country flag Jaz

Jaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond repute

Superb player.

Del Potro, when in the groove is the best, and probably most unbelievable player in tennis today. I remember him in the FO 2009 against Federer, really was awesome.
Jaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote