What kind of backhand to learn - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
country flag ge0rg

ge0rg is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of backhand to learn

Hello people,
I just started playing tennis and I think I'm haveing a pretty good start so far. I already, as suggested by my trainer, tried out both the one- and twohanded backhand (he favors the twohanded one). He told me to use whichever I am more comfortable with. But feel that I could learn either one, they are different but I don't feel more comfortable in one that the other yet. But I would like to commit to one variant already and concentrate on learing that.
First, I thought that mecahnically, the one handed backhand is more advantageous, because it offers more reach an momentum (I mean, theoretically, after developing the proper technique), but my trainer said that this was not true (as mentioned before, he favors the twohanded backhand).
So can you tell me, what are the drawbacks/advantages of the two? "Easier to learn" doesn't count though, I will learn whatever I like better.
ge0rg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of backhand to learn

Sounds as though you leaning to the one handed backhand. I used a 2 hander for 7 years, and switched to a 1 hander like 2.5 years ago.

Definitely better. Better than the 2 hander for low balls, and even on high balls, the one draw back of a one hander, you can still take in on the rise and jump into it. Easier to learn a slice from a one hander. The only thing the 2 hander BH has better is the defensive last-second open stance 2 hander that Djokovic has made famous.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be honest I have used a two handed backhand for about 4 years and still not quite mastered it . If you want to hit the ball flat it's better as you can't really flatten out a 1 handed backhand your allways going to put some spin on it .
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Also the two hander can be useful for hitting the odd meaty off hand backhand (just hitting it with your off hand ) . But for a backhand that feels nice to hit It has to be a one handed backhand .
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Use two-handed for normal rallies, and especially on the defense, use one-handed on the run. I do this, and it works for me.

1-hander offers more momentum, but you don't really need momentum to hit if you have proper technique. 2-hander is a very solid counterpuncher shot, even if the 1-hander may "feel" better.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
country flag AfricanTennisNow

AfricanTennisNow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Use two-handed for normal rallies, and especially on the defense, use one-handed on the run. I do this, and it works for me.

1-hander offers more momentum, but you don't really need momentum to hit if you have proper technique. 2-hander is a very solid counterpuncher shot, even if the 1-hander may "feel" better.
I agree. And also the two-handed back-hand gives you more time to hit the ball.