Too much buzz around Olympics, or not ? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too much buzz around Olympics, or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
There is no player on the planet who would rather win a Masters than Olympic Gold.

I don't think many players would pick WTF over Olympic Gold either.
Guess we'd better hope then that tennis doesn't disappear from the Olympics again for another long period, eh? And I guess you're right - heck Massu would even pick it over the Slams - since he hever won one

Respectfully,
masterclass

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #47
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

8 tennis players have been chosen as their country's flag bearer which should indicate how highly tennis is regarded around the world. I wonder how many other sports have contributed that many flag bearers.

Last edited by Hypnotize : 07-27-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Hypnotize is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #48
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
It's a beheaded tournment without it's elite athlete, and defending champion. It's a hit for the olympics, just when it was becoming so important after the classic in Beijing.
Don't be bitter man, there's always 2016.... hopefully
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #49
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://letsecondserve.blogspot.co.uk/

"First off, the importance of tennis in the Olympic Games has grown drastically over the years now and I'm very happy it gets so much attention and all the players do actually show up and play because it is about the spirit and this is what we enjoy." - Roger Federer

"Growing up as tennis players we always dreamed of winning Grand Slams and doing well at tournaments like Wimbledon, but to have an opportunity to win a gold medal and be mentioned among the great athletes, it’s an honour. Of all the tournaments I’ve won, I’ve probably enjoyed my gold medal the most." - Serena Williams

''You can't put into words what winning a gold medal would mean. For me winning a gold medal is bigger than winning a grand slam. I can only dream of it. [...] It (the Olympics) is like a fifth grand slam and something I always wanted to do better at than grand slams.'' - Bernard Tomic

“I still believe that the grand slams are more important, because of all the history. The Olympics would probably be the fifth event. I think it depends where you come from. If you’re from somewhere like the US, China, Germany or France, you become a superhero. in Switerland, you’re a hero for a day and that’s it. You have a gold medal but it’s not like it has any consequences. Maybe I think differently because I’m from Switzerland.” - Martina Hingis

"Once you hear it, I think it's pretty even" - Sam Stosur

"The Olympic Games are the pinnacle of all sports, in my opinion." - Novak Djokovic

"To me this was bigger than a grand slam, it was more special. Standing on the podium and listening to your national anthem and getting the medal around your neck, seeing the other athletes there that supported. It’s a different feeling, it’s very unique and definitely more special." - Steffi Graf

“It is bigger than winning a Grand Slam because everybody knows what an Olympic gold is, whereas not everybody knows what a Grand Slam is." - Andy Murray

“You can say you’re a tennis player and that will resonate with some people, or you can say you’re an Olympian and that will resonate with every person." - Andy Roddick
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #50
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

Olympic tennis is dependant on the setting, and the top payers, London Olympics played at Wimledon with 90% of top 10 players competing is a big deal. Tennis is not usaully big hitter in terms of coverage ratings in the olympics but you can bet if we get Murray-djoko semi-final and federer-murray final - it will be big news. If Murray, Fed, fall before Sfs tennis will barely be mentioned in UK. Novak alone will not hold interest with so many other sports going on.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #51
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Great quote from Roddick there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #52
country flag Mercury

Mercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond repute

The Olympics are the Olympics. Be it Tennis, Basketball, Football or whatever, it's a huge event and it gets a lot of attention. I'm just happy tennis has become such a big event in the Olympics, we seem to forget that not long ago there was no tennis in the Olympics...
Mercury is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #53
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
The Olympics are the Olympics. Be it Tennis, Basketball, Football or whatever, it's a huge event and it gets a lot of attention. I'm just happy tennis has become such a big event in the Olympics, we seem to forget that not long ago there was no tennis in the Olympics...
as Andi_M said, tennis is only a big event in these Olympics because Fed is a star, and Nadal in 2008, and in a lesser extent because Murray is British.

Modern Olympics have this "show/star" dimension very highlighted now.

In a way it "popularizes" this tennis tournament. But what will stay of it when there's no more such huge star in tennis ? I don't think that tennis as a sport itself will stay a major event of the Olympics when it happens.

As for tennis players' world, well there's a part of truth, there's a very big part of enthusiasm because of the context, and there's also a part of "oh I love this tournament, it's the one I prefer in the world" we hear in most of tournaments

And players are all concerned about the "sparkling" of the Olympics anyway :
1. context and opening ceremony
2. the medal and only the medal, the rest doesn't count as Tipsarevic said recently.

What is really sport in that ?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #54
country flag Hypnotize

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
as Andi_M said, tennis is only a big event in these Olympics because Fed is a star, and Nadal in 2008, and in a lesser extent because Murray is British.

In a way it "popularizes" this tennis tournament. But what will stay of it when there's no more such huge star in tennis ? I don't think that tennis as a sport itself will stay a major event of the Olympics when it happens.

As for tennis players' world, well there's a part of truth, there's a very big part of enthusiasm because of the context, and there's also a part of "oh I love this tournament, it's the one I prefer in the world" we hear in most of tournaments

2. the medal and only the medal, the rest doesn't count as Tipsarevic said recently.

That may be your opinion but who is to say there won't be big stars in the future to replace Federer and Nadall? Tennis is a huge, global sport and it will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's never going to be a badminton or ping-pong.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #55
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
That may be your opinion but who is to say there won't be big stars in the future to replace Federer and Nadall? Tennis is a huge, global sport and it will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's never going to be a badminton or ping-pong.
you're partly right that tennis in itself generates more stars than other sports, but still I've known periods with lesser stars in tennis. And from what I see about youngsters I'm not optimistic about later years in the coming decade.

And more importantly I have a problem with that "modern Olympics" way of celebrating more stars than sports ... or at least too much stars comparing to sports : remember when Bolt was disqualified because of a false start : journos were talking 10 times more of Bolt than of the winner Blake and all guessing that "Bolt wouldn't have lost", which I already guessed was far from obvious because Blake's time was great considering the conditions, and what has happened since then all confirmed my impressions.

I have a problem with these modern Olympics (some will say, rightfully, I have a problem with modernity )
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #56
country flag Mercury

Mercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post

Murray and Nole seem to me like huge stars these days. Murray carrying the hopes of an entire nation and Nole being the god of his own country...

Fed and Nadal are not the only ones holding the sports together.
Mercury is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, Tennis doesn't NEED the olympics.. Its by its nature an international sport, akin to soccer/futbol The World Cup is bigger then the olympics.. Grand slams in Tennis are bigger..

Yes, its nice to represent their country but they do that every tournment, hell they do it davis cup much more uniformly.

I'm sure its cool and fun but what it comes down to is a tournment with Medals.

Hewitt was asked whether he would take a slam or a gold medal, he said Slam.
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #58
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

So at worst, players put Olympics only behind Slams.

Kuerten's ordering is correct. The fact that Olympics happens only every 4 years, make it much more difficult to attain than any other tournament, even Slams, but I do rank Slams higher because they run best of 5 in all rounds and because it is a 128 player draw. A Slam in itself is harder to conquer, but made easier because players have 4 shots at it every year. Olympics are at the level of a Masters 1000 in terms of the toughness of the draw. WTF is tougher in theory but some players are tired at the end of the year and you are allowed to lose one match (or even two) in the group stage.

I also think a lesser player winning the gold medal will happen very rarely from now on.
redshift36188 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #59
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
.... another nadulltard with a simple question... it's less prestigious than a masters but it is once in a 4 years so it's normal that it's receiving a lot of buzz ...
lol the Olypmics less prestigious than a masters when there are like 9 masters events every year and 1 Olympics for every 36 of them.

you are strongly mistaken, the Olympics is the most prestigious event behind the slams and the world tour finals. medals from this event will be remembered throughout time but no one remembers who wins individuals masters events. get a reality check

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #60
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of BS in this thread is staggering. Yet, I expect nothing less of desperate tards who try to denounce WTF's importance in the sport of tennis. The Olympics is just a Masters tournament with a normal draw. Nothing more, nothing less. Deal with it.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote