Greek athlete expelled from the olympics over racist tweet - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #46
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greek athlete expelled from the olympics over racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Racism against Asians doesn't count.
I never undestand because this photo was racist. But I'm a well knowed Spaniartard, so I don't count.

By the way, this girl is blonde. I think that's a mitigating factor, even she probably is a fake blonde.

PS: A curiosity, Spain is the country of Europe with more chinese population right now and the first country in the world with more chinese girls adopted.
http://www.immigrantconnect.org/2009...for-adoptions/

God is killing me

Last edited by Kiedis : 07-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #47
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post
I never undestand because this photo was racist. But I'm a well knowed Spaniartard, so I don't count.
Confused. Do you think it was racist or not?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #48
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Confused. Do you think it was racist or not?
For me it was not racist, but maybe my opinion is not impartial. Something that is racist in a culture in other is not, like something that is rude in a culture it's polite in another. Only was one of this silly photos made for a sports newspaper. If Olimpics were in Sweden instead of China possibly they had been wearing a blonde wig and if were in Scotland they had been wearing a skirt. Tell me, where is the racism in this photo for you? there is something bad in having almond-shaped eyes? there is something bad on be blonde or wearing a skirt?

God is killing me

Last edited by Kiedis : 07-27-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #49
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For me it was not racist, but maybe my opinion is not impartial. Was a silly photo for a sports newspaper. If Olimpics were in Sweden instead of China possibly they had been wearing a blonde wig and if were in Scotland they had been wearing a skirt. Tell me, where is the racism in this photo for you?
I didn't say whether I thought it was racist; your post wasn't clear so I asked. That post you quoted - I wasn't being serious there. But since you asked, and for argument's sake - they could've done something else to pay homage to the host nation, like dress up in a traditional Chinese outfit, for instance. Why did they do what they did?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #50
country flag Kiedis

Quote:
I didn't say whether I thought it was racist; your post wasn't clear so I asked. That post you quoted - I wasn't being serious there. But since you asked, and for argument's sake - they could've done something else to pay homage to the host nation, like dress up in a traditional Chinese outfit, for instance. Why did they do what they did?
Because they were still in Spain and finding an appropriate chinese outfit for 14 guys near of seven foot height isn't so easy, I guess. In USA this photo was a true scandal, with long follow-up by the press, but was unnoticed in China and their press and government interpreted the silly photo as a gesture of sympathy (which was actually meant to be). Maybe the problem is United States have many racial tensions and China and Spain don't so in USA all must be politically correct and they are obsessed with everything about this topic.

God is killing me
Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #51
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Because they were still in Spain and finding an appropriate chinese outfit for 14 guys near of seven foot height isn't so easy, I guess. In USA this photo was a true scandal, with long follow-up by the press, but was unnoticed in China and their press and government interpreted the silly photo as a gesture of sympathy (which was actually meant to be). Maybe the problem is United States have many racial tensions and China and Spain don't so in USA all must be politically correct and they are obsessed with everything about this topic.
I don't think they intended it to be racist, but it wasn't a very smart move all the same. Anyway I thought it was pretty funny when it came out actually. I'm not surprised the Americans were the ones that harped on it.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #52
country flag Kiedis

Quote:
I don't think they intended it to be racist, but it wasn't a very smart move all the same. Anyway I thought it was pretty funny when it came out actually. I'm not surprised the Americans were the ones that harped on it.
Being tall and athletic is the most important to be a good basketball player. I don't think any of them is just an intellectual or even have a college degree. Plus they are young people.

Yao reaction to that photo

God is killing me
Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
for argument's sake - they could've done something else to pay homage to the host nation, like dress up in a traditional Chinese outfit, for instance. Why did they do what they did?
Didn't they dress up the guys at the year-end tennis tournament in Xian warrior dress? The resulting photos illustrate why that will probably never happen again.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #54
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe the problem is United States have many racial tensions and China and Spain don't so in USA all must be politically correct and they are obsessed with everything about this topic.
I think in the case of China and Spain it is that they are just more racist countries, so they have their own kind of political correctness, where it is politically incorrect to acknowledge the pervasive racism.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #55
country flag Kiedis

^^ I think when someone is too sensitive in some issues is due to some feeling of guilt or a tormented subconscious. For example if you show this illustation to children they will see innocent dolphins but if you show to adult they will see other thing very different.

In Spain there are a saying, "malice is often in the eye of the beholder"

God is killing me
Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #56
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^^ I think when someone is too sensitive in some issues is due to some feeling of guilt or a tormented subconscious. For example if you show this illustation to children they will see innocent dolphins but if you show to adult they will see other thing very different.

In Spain there are a saying, "malice is often in the eye of the beholder"
Wow, it took me 5 minutes before I saw dolphins.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #57
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

The poor girl pulled a Janne Gunnarsson.

Someone will need to outline the dolphins for me.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #58
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Keep politics out of sport decisions
Let her participate

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #59
country flag tripwires

I don't see the dolphins.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #60
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, took me a good 2 minutes to see the dolphins. It`s easy once you realise the dolphins are much smaller than the people. I was looking for people-sized dolphins.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote