Is alcohol forbidden during tennis matches? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
country flag Jenrios
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Jenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond reputeJenrios has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is alcohol forbidden during tennis matches?

I do remember an ATP player being refused permission to smoke on court during an injury time out. Must have been about 10 years ago. Can't remember his name though. Think it was the guy who beat the Williams sisters .

Marcelo has an enormous talent. Gaudio, RG champion 2004

"Rios ... he has a beautiful game, great forehand and great touch," Federer, World number 1

Guillermo Coria: "Ríos and Vilas are my two idols"
Jenrios is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenrios View Post
I do remember an ATP player being refused permission to smoke on court during an injury time out. Must have been about 10 years ago. Can't remember his name though. Think it was the guy who beat the Williams sisters .
Karsten Braasch

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
WADA banned it this season though i saw a journeyman czech player drinking beer before his performance in prague

performance was awful
you don't say seriously though why ban it if it is not a perfomance enhancing stimulant ? Good value for money especially in mug tournaments where tennis isn't taken so seriously by anyone other than the competing journeymen
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
country flag v-money

v-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
I play my best tennis after a couple of beers.
It has the opposite effect with my game.

Have you ever played a six-pack set? You have to finish a six pack of beer before you win the set and you can only drink on changeovers. It's loads of fun but obviously one cannot drive him or herself to the courts if the want to try it. You're plenty drunk after drinking 6 beers in about 30-45 minutes and running around on top of that.

They should hold six-pack set tournaments, in my opinion. I'd certainly pay to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Just keep [t]rolling Bernard, just keep [t]rolling my man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchFederer View Post
Keep [t]rolling Bernard, keep [t]rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
tomic just keep on [t]rolling
v-money is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

It can definitely have performance enhancing effects in the sense that a drink or two can loosen you up and help you to play more freely and not get caught up in your thoughts so much. However, there is a very small window in which this occurs and it is very difficult to not go beyond this point, after which your performance definitely suffers due to decreased coordination. xkcd did a funny comic about this (though I think he placed the peak a bit too far into the BAC range):

http://xkcd.com/323/

Really it's similar to beta blockers which are banned because they have a calming effect (they are often used by performers to reduce the effects of stage fright).
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #21
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-money View Post
It has the opposite effect with my game.

Have you ever played a six-pack set? You have to finish a six pack of beer before you win the set and you can only drink on changeovers. It's loads of fun but obviously one cannot drive him or herself to the courts if the want to try it. You're plenty drunk after drinking 6 beers in about 30-45 minutes and running around on top of that.

They should hold six-pack set tournaments, in my opinion. I'd certainly pay to see them.
That is just trolling for injury
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #22
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Back in the day, it was almost mandatory.
Yeah, when men were real men etc..
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Marat knew how to train hard

Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #24
country flag outrider

outrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond reputeoutrider has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgopolov can handle it but not during the match...
outrider is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
There's really no way they could stop you but you wouldn't make it far as alcohol is a substance that impairs your senses and slows your reactions. Trust me...it would suck all the fun out of drinking. The players from back in the day were like the characters on Mad Men, they just drank all day long...it was part of the culture and they didn't have the literature yet about how harmful it was to you.

It's one thing to play tennis at your club after a few beers...it's goofy and fun. No professional player could do this with any success.

After their match however, the pros can get down! I remember Gaudio talking about the players at one South American tournament...they got wasted every night and he woke up hungover and played some of his best tennis. I think Action Jackson could elaborate a bit more on this.
I think it was Kitzbuhel that Gaudio said this about.

Dolgopolov was drunk off his ass in a club 2 days before he beat Fognini in Umag
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
I saw some pics of Ferrer smoking (I assume he is just a casual smoker, not sure tho).

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #27
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
Dolgopolov was drunk off his ass in a club 2 days before he beat Fognini in Umag
I can confirm that.
Also, Klec was drinking with us the night before he beat Viola

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
I think it was Kitzbuhel that Gaudio said this about.

Awesome.

Really, where did the info come from on that? 2 days is plenty of time to recover...only a true pimp like Gaudio can get hammered the night before and play awesome tennis.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I remember taking 5 shots of Captain Morgan before playing a doubles match back in my club college days. We got beaten 1-6, 0-6, serving was a real adventure I was pretty fucked, swung and missed on more than one forehand

Oddly, smoking cannabis before a match, I have played my best tennis ever while stoned, beating guys I win one and loss one against by the tune of 6-0, 6-2, but also I have played some pretty lethargic tennis while high, and if the match goes to a 3rd, 4th, or 5th, I was fucked. A bit of a crap shoot.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
I remember taking 5 shots of Captain Morgan before playing a doubles match back in my club college days. We got beaten 1-6, 0-6, serving was a real adventure I was pretty fucked, swung and missed on more than one forehand

Oddly, smoking cannabis before a match, I have played my best tennis ever while stoned, beating guys I win one and loss one against by the tune of 6-0, 6-2, but also I have played some pretty lethargic tennis while high, and if the match goes to a 3rd, 4th, or 5th, I was fucked. A bit of a crap shoot.
LOL - I'm way too serious about winning my USTA matches that I would never play while I was F-ed up. Hungover maybe...do I drink some beer after my matches hellzyea...even more if I lost yessir...but beer while playing I mean, there's so many better games made for that like billards, bowling, cards, darts, bocce ball, horseshoes, shuffleboard, beer pong, ping pong and any video game...just to name a few.

NOW HOWEVER...if you aren't playing tennis then drinking is a perfect thing to do while watching live tennis matches. There are several drinking games you can play while watching the top players like every time Rafa picks a wedgie a take a sip, if Novak bounces the ball before a serve more than 3 times take a sip and if Murray fails to covert a break point take 2 sips....etc etc.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote