Potential Future Spanish Star: Idol is Federer; likes Tomic - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Potential Future Spanish Star: Idol is Federer; likes Tomic

So I'd kind of assumed all young Spanish tennis players would idolise Nadal given that he's their countryman but interesting reading about Eduard Guell, born 1998, who's the junior Spanish and junior European champion and appears to be promising for his age. Gave an interview to a Spanish magazine and said:

Quote:
How do you define within the track?

R. On the track I define myself as an attacking player, always trying to find the winning shot, although recent years have learned to defend and work more points. I consider myself a player with good attitude both on and off the track.

Q. What type of track you prefer?

R. prefer the hard court, but I like dirt, I'm pretty versatile, and I adapt to the two very easily. Normally I train on hard courts, but I usually compete more on the ground, so I'm used to playing on it.

P. Do you have references?

R. Roger Federer I also really like Bernard Tomic

P. Why?

R. Because I like his technique, his attitude on the track, elegance, and poise.Tomic I like because it's a different player from the rest is fun to watch.

P. Do you think that after Nadal, Ferrer, Almagro and the rest is a generation gap?

R.. Maybe, but we are talking of a time with a very high level, and it is normal in the coming years down a bit. Although we have been pushing back hard and believe and hope that we will continue to give joy to our courts.

P. What do you think all they have achieved Federer, Djokovic and Nadal?

R. That is spectacular and very difficult to repeat. Federer is the best player that ever lived, is breaking all records and I think he still has here to stay. Nadal, Roland Garros almost seven straight and speak for themselves and Djokovic not much to say, with only remember that in the first ten months of last season lost only three games, I think that's enough.

P..Do you encourage success for Nadal to move on?

R. Progress motivates me, my work every day and see it reflected both in my game and in the results. I like Nadal's mental strength to deal with the matches and the key to the game situations.

P. Who is the best player in history to you?

R . Roger Federer.
http://translate.google.com/translat...alento-espanol

So an attacking Spanish player who prefers hard courts and has Federer as his idol, rather than Nadal, despite growing up in the Nadal era. Interesting to see how this kid does - think Toni won't let him get far after this insolence.
Ash86 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Future Spanish Star: Idol is Federer; likes Tomic

like him already
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
country flag Rafa is the GOAT

Rafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Hater
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
like him already
+1

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Clay Mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute

Should note that he didn't diss Rafa and he is correct, whether you like Fed or not, he's one if not the greatest players to ever live.

Why does it matter if Nadal isn't his idol?
Lazyking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the top guys Federer in tennis terms most resembles the Spanish in footballing terms.

So I'm not surprised that he has a lot of fans there.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

A kid that can appreciate both Federer and Nadal. Well, he's already ahead of 90% of MTF.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Should note that he didn't diss Rafa and he is correct, whether you like Fed or not, he's one if not the greatest players to ever live.

Why does it matter if Nadal isn't his idol?
well, exactly. He was honest, he tried to explain his style of game. His favorite player is Federer and he still showed his respect for Djokovic and Nadal. It's easy to pick Fed as your favorite player and your inspiration, considering all of his achievements.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Should note that he didn't diss Rafa and he is correct, whether you like Fed or not, he's one if not the greatest players to ever live. Why does it matter if Nadal isn't his idol?
It doesn't. Federer is one of the greatest players of all times and of course lots of juniors will idolise him - and if you're an attacking player then you're even more like to prefer Federer to Djokovic/Nadal. Just thought it was interesting that a young Spaniard was such a Fed fan - Fed has a lot of fans in Spain too, as everywhere, but I imagine a lot of young Spanish juniors want to be the next "Nadal" given he's probably the biggest star in their country. Nothing wrong with liking Fed - the kid seems a bit different to the usual Spanish mould and that bodes well I suppose as it's the more unique ones that make an impact often.

Didn't post it to say the kid's wrong for not idolising Rafa - just found it interesting - plus he seems like he might have a good future. He talks about his closest rival being a Swiss junior - would love it if this Swiss kid was a defensive baseliner who loves clay and we had a future rivalry of these two!
Ash86 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

This guy may be one to watch.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
country flag Lleyton_

Lleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond repute

I might become a Guelltard in 5-6 years.
Lleyton_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

yea looks promising, I mean he's 14 and he's already showed much more intelligence than half the ppl here.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

He'll be a tomictard in 3 years after Bernard has the CGS and CYGS rapped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Nice piece of info. And, Ash, I thought you spoke Spanish. Seems like I was wrong .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
He talks about his closest rival being a Swiss junior - would love it if this Swiss kid was a defensive baseliner who loves clay and we had a future rivalry of these two!
Oh, lol. If it is something close to that - the irony would be immense.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Looner : 07-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote