Was Rosol def. Nadal the biggest upset in tennis history? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Rosol def. Nadal the biggest upset in tennis history?

Doug Flach beating Agassi at Wimbledon. Closed it out with no nerves. And an American to boot.
Yzaga beating Sampras at the US Open.
Alberto Martin upsetting no 1 seed Hewitt at the 2002 AO.
Muller's win over Roddick at the US Open 2005.
Safin's 2nd round win over defending champ Kuerten at RG (as a qualifier) although what he went on to achieve probably excludes it
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #32
country flag Gabe32

Gabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know too much about tennis history but surely Ivanisevic's 2001 Wimbledon victory is crazier than Rosol's Round 3 exit. I know we are only looking at matches, so how about Ivanisevic's win over Rafter in the final of Wimbledon?

Also Nadal is clearly on the decline. And it pains me because he is one of my favorite players, but in your original post you added that past upsets were only because players were on the decline (like Roddick in 05). In my opinion Nadal is just as much, perhaps even more on the decline than Roddick was in 2005.
Gabe32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe32 View Post
I don't know too much about tennis history but surely Ivanisevic's 2001 Wimbledon victory is crazier than Rosol's Round 3 exit. I know we are only looking at matches, so how about Ivanisevic's win over Rafter in the final of Wimbledon?

Also Nadal is clearly on the decline. And it pains me because he is one of my favorite players, but in your original post you added that past upsets were only because players were on the decline (like Roddick in 05). In my opinion Nadal is just as much, perhaps even more on the decline than Roddick was in 2005.
He won a slam two months ago. What are you talking about?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
country flag Gabe32

Gabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
He won a slam two months ago. What are you talking about?
His body is pretty much broken is what I am talking about. The man is physically "declining" to say the least. Imploding may be a better word. His broken body has caused him to skip Wimbledon (as the defending champion) and the Olympics (as the defending champion).

He was winning 3 slams just two years ago, so he is by definition, declining in achievements too.

Would you call him an "up and comer"?
Gabe32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Statistically, maybe (I dunno). Taking into consideration it's Nadal in week 1 of Wimbledon, and the kind of player Rosol is, not even close.
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
I think it's pretty simple. The first question I ask is "What is the most dominant player on any particular surface".

The answer is clearly Nadal on clay, and RG just happens to be the clay slam. (slams are best of 5 so they automatically truncate any other tournament, perhaps except Best of 5 Masters Final and Davis Cup, but DC doesn't really count that much due to it's poor format, so yeah)

It has to be Soderling beating Nadal in 09.
At the time, perhaps. Sod's level since that and the fact that he beat Federer the next year playing just as well, if not better, kinda takes something away from that.

If Rosol does something significant from now on it would do the same thing, but I doubt he will.
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #37
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Am inclined to agree Soderling was bigger. At the time Soderling was barely in the Top 30, had no pedigree on clay, had been thrashed by Nadal in Rome, & had always failed at slams, whereas Nadal had never lost at R.G. & never even been taken to 5 sets, even by peak Federer. That Nadal should lose at R.G. at all was upset enough, but to Soderling? Whatever his subsequent record at R.G., at the time nobody thought he had it in him. The result sent shockwaves through the sport, with the French press referring to it as "the earthquake" for days on end. Doohan against Becker was comparable, I guess.

I suppose we could distinguish between "shock" & "upset". The bigger shock is the more surprising result, the bigger upset the one with the greater disparity between the quality of the players. Under the second definition, I guess Nestor against Edberg is winning so far.
I agree with Softy.

Soderling's was definitely bigger given that RG was and still is Nadal's best hunting ground. Nadal lost to guys like Muller and Ancic, I think before he took up form on grass and made 5 consecutive finals at Wimbly, and then lost to Rosol. Soderling's victory is like a strong blot on a white sheet of Nadal's CV. Even before you notice his list of achievements; its the blotch you notice first.

BLOP! ... like that.
“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
country flag evilmindbulgaria
Banned!

evilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's only (so far) defeat at Roland Garros in 2009 was much bigger of an upset.
evilmindbulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #39
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

If we know that Dodig > Nadal, Rosol defeat Dodig round before is even bigger upset
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #40
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmindbulgaria View Post
Nadal's only (so far) defeat at Roland Garros in 2009 was much bigger of an upset.
Agreed.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #41
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

In '91 Ivanisevic lost at Wimbledon to Nick Brown. A guy ranked 591
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #42
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
If we know that Dodig > Nadal, Rosol defeat Dodig round before is even bigger upset

But IMO, GGL was the bigger upset. And funnier match too.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #43
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Rosol is Boss. His win was indeed one of the biggest upsets ever. No, actually make it the biggest. Any wins over Nadal is always good for the tour.

Rosol is Boss. He's my hero. He took out piggy like it was another day in the office.

GODsol
GOATsol
FEDsol
BALLBASHERSol
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #44
country flag Andy1402

Andy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I definitely think rosol handing nadal his ass was worse than what soderling did. Soderling was a top 30 player for quite a while and then stuck in the top 10 for a year. Rosol is an unknown entity who played the game of his life for one match and defeated the second greatest grass player of the generation.
Also i think nadal was definitely injured during RG09 which makes the defeat a little more realistic.
Andy1402 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #45
country flag Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymouse View Post
I still think it's Soderling beating Nadal at RG. All you need is the reaction of the tennnis world to tell you which is the bigger upset. Nadal losing to Rosol was talked about but the shock value was nowhere close to him losing to Soderling. I'm sure many Nadal fans would admit to crying when he lost at RG but I doubt any of them shed a tear at his loss to Rosol.

Rosol was much bigger upset than Soderling.

Rafa's loss to Soderling now looks much bigger due to the fact he has won RG every year since he lost to Robin in 2009. However, let's rewind here. There is a reason Nadal was only an oddsmaker favorite of 1.07 vs Soderling. His form was visibly not as sharp, and he was playing a solid opponent.

If you go by the oddsmakers, and people who make a living trading tennis odds, Soderling beating Nadal wasn't even the biggest upset of the year, in fact, it wasn't even in the top 3.

No doubt, it was still a very big upset, and it is over-exemplified today due to Nadal not losing at RG since 2009. Yet, at the time the matches were played, Soderling was much more of a threat on Nadal's clay than Rosol was on grass. I remember that match vividly, and quite a few respectable tennis handicappers liked Soderling. No one knowledgable in the field of predicting tennis outcomes entertained the thought of Rosol winning, no one. The odds reflect that, as Rosol was a 55-1 underdog. Yet, at betfair you could lay 1-14 on Nadal to win vs Soderling.

Last edited by Say Hey Kid : 07-27-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Say Hey Kid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote