Most overrated shot (of the top players) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #76
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Nadal's mental strength/fighting... I've read many times (and believed) how if it goes to decider, he practically cannot lose. While recently he crumbled quite often, from Dodig to even Verdasco of all people.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #77
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
There is so much nonsense in this thread. It's basically just another chance for haters to trash some of the world's top players. I strongly dislike Roger Federer because of his personality, but I'm not going to call his game or strokes "overrated".
And I deeply love Federer but I can say that ... because the human he is has led to a legend, a myth, comments which are really "over the top" and forget the reality.

Same for Nadal in a lesser extent.

Djokovic hasn't led to enough myth so far.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #78
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga's net game is not overrated, his volleys are quite good but the problem is that his approach shots are some of the worst ones you would see in a pro.

Roger's BH has actually become more solid to play rallies than it used to be, consistently speaking it is better now than it was before because he's not aiming to hit winners off it all the time like he did on his peak, right now he's more patient and uses his best BH shots (slices & angular CC) to set up his FH or volleys and finish the point.

Is it the best one handed BH? no way, it's just that the rest of his game is still so good (and it was better at his peak) that he made up for that weak wing against everyone except for Rafa on clay (consistently speaking).

Rafa's BH has never been overrated either IMO, it was always a means to an end but his main weapon has always been the FH as well, most of his winners come off that shot, the BH is to set up rallies.

Last edited by Arkulari : 07-25-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #79
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Congratulations on contributing a big fat zero to the thread.
Can you please stop interacting with me on this forum? I'd really appreciate it. Stop giving me bad reps every week, and stop following me. Please just put me on your ignore list. Thanks!
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #80
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's second serve.
Djokovic's footwork.
Nadal's forehand.
Murray's defense.

Might post some more later.

Edit: Just realised the title says "shot" so I can't really include footwork and defense but oh well.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #81
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Edit: Just realised the title says "shot" so I can't really include footwork and defense but oh well.
you should because there "non-shot" qualities are veryunderrated on MTF
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #82
country flag Lugburz

Lugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond reputeLugburz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
Tsonga's net game is not overrated, his volleys are quite good but the problem is that his approach shots are some of the worst ones you would see in a pro.
^^ this..

Philipp Kohlschreiber - Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Everytime Haas wins a point is the happiest moment in my life.
Lugburz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #83
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's use of medical time outs has been very poor lately, couldn't use it at the proper moment.

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #84
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Federer's second serve.
Djokovic's footwork.
Nadal's forehand.
Murray's defense.

Might post some more later.

Feel free to post about stuff other than shots.

E.g., Gasquet's court positioning.
You know. Just for a 100% random example
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #85
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic' retarded forehand.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #86
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Murray's folding abilities in slam finals

Nadal's and Ferrer's fighting spirit

Tsonga's serve

Verdasco's forehand
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #87
country flag Andy1402

Andy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Nadal's "moonball" crap. I mean, djokovic finally did what federer couldn't do..made a mockery of it.
Andy1402 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #88
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post

Roger's BH has actually become more solid to play rallies than it used to be, consistently speaking it is better now than it was before because he's not aiming to hit winners off it all the time like he did on his peak, right now he's more patient and uses his best BH shots (slices & angular CC) to set up his FH or volleys and finish the point.

Is it the best one handed BH? no way, it's just that the rest of his game is still so good (and it was better at his peak) that he made up for that weak wing against everyone except for Rafa on clay (consistently speaking).

Rafa's BH has never been overrated either IMO, it was always a means to an end but his main weapon has always been the FH as well, most of his winners come off that shot, the BH is to set up rallies.
Fact is the approach shot is a vital component of your "net game". Knowing when to come in and how to come in is as important as the quality of the volleys themselves. Tsonga has a great volley which he can abuse at times like a lot of players. His punch volleys are decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #89
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1402 View Post
Nadal's "moonball" crap. I mean, djokovic finally did what federer couldn't do..made a mockery of it.
But if only one guy, one of the two currently ranked above him, has been able to consistently make a mockery of it, is it really "overrated"? Given that it varies per person and surface at times, that same forehand tends to give most people nightmares.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #90
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

I've already listed mine. Here are some underrated shots now.

-Federer's backhand

-Tsonga's serve

-Del Potro's forehand

-Berdych's backhand

-Tipsy's backhand

-Cilic's return of serve
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote