Most overrated shot (of the top players) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #61
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

That's trolling leng
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #62
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty difficult to find generally overrated shots but there are a couple overhyped strokes there: Gasquet's BH definitely, it's irrelevant that the stroke is gorgeous when he's hitting it 4 meters behind the baseline throughout his career, the top players abuse that court positioning advantage consistently. The only time I saw him consistently hit it from an aggressive position was MC 2005.

Nadal's volley also, he's not better than Federer in that at all. Mostly putaways or incredibly advantageous positions in the net, although he hits the drop volley consistently well.

What else? Maybe DP's FH, sure it's a huge weapon when he unwinds but that's about it, it can be very ineffective when he's not hitting his spots or his opponent doesn't allow him to use it like he wants to. A great weapon but not the GOATFH some people were saying it was bc he hit couple of 100+ in the USO final.
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #63
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Federer's topspin BH has really only been outstanding (for me) for a period of a few months at the end of 2006. Before and after it was always the lesser of his rally shots (FH and BH slice as well) by a large margin.
That final against Blake was absurd as far as the BH goes. I disagree though that his topspin BH hasn't been great otherwise, he's always used it quite well to create angles and put himself to a position to end the rally with the FH. The only thing it's better now idealing with the high balls, for example Fed was in huge trouble in the USO 2005 final when Agassi started kicking his 1st serve to Fed's BH at 100 mph, it completely threw him off his rhythm.
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #64
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Ok, apparently your post gets deleted when you say Federer is overrated, but I'll try again.

His forehand is overrated (greatest weapon ever, hmm, highly questionable), but the main thing is that Federer in general is overhyped on here. JesusFed and stuff like that. 'Peak Federer would've killed him.'

No, just say no to that.
Actually, you could read previous polls about "who is the most overrated player ? and you could see that I answered "Federer" ... despite being a Fedlover ... because yes, his hype is just too much.

BUT about your example 'Peak Federer would've killed him.',

I can see that you're 20 years old and I don't know how much you did watch prime Federer, but please watch some videos from Youtube if you want to know what Fed's forehand was at his peak (his forehand was at his peak probably around 2004-2005 even though Fed's overall peak may be rather 2006, esp. on clay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
I think it's more a matter of him being overrated by his fanboys
Fed's fanboys don't always overrate him,

on the opposite some people who don't like him do overrate him, especially journalists, for instance Tignor who is a massive Nadal-fan and just has no enthusiasm when Fed wins because he just feels it's ... normal, he seems to feel about him as if he's a machine.

To really enjoy a player, you can't see him as a machine.
That's why I think I rate Nadal higher than you do (although highly disliking him he impresses me hugely just in the meantime -both are connected by the way), because for me he's more of a machine (or rather a freak) than for you.
And I've read the same about Federer.

That said, on MTF specifically and not about real life I was talking about before, there's the special category of "trolling gloryhunters" who take a lot of place and there are more of them who support Fed

Last edited by duong : 07-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #65
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
That's trolling leng
You must have missed my post in the other thread where I admitted that I don't troll.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #66
country flag DTL

DTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's forehand outside of clay. Needs time to set it up and can break down in the face of aggressive play.
DTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #67
country flag Blathzer

Blathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond reputeBlathzer has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's volley skill ... Mcenroe has hyped it very much but honestly his volley does not come in top 20 best volleyr.
Blathzer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #68
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Identifying someone who has mediocre volleys is pretty easy. People who aren't confident at the net will literally always play a drop volley when the ball is below net height if the opponent is on the baseline. Nadal is one of those players.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #69
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

There is so much nonsense in this thread. It's basically just another chance for haters to trash some of the world's top players. I strongly dislike Roger Federer because of his personality, but I'm not going to call his game or strokes "overrated".
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #70
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Lew Hoad's backhand, man that was overated
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
There is so much nonsense in this thread. It's basically just another chance for haters to trash some of the world's top players. I strongly dislike Roger Federer because of his personality, but I'm not going to call his game or strokes "overrated".
Congratulations on contributing a big fat zero to the thread.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #72
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Federer fans everytime he hits a good backhand today;

Quote:
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #73
country flag Game.Petzschner

Game.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond repute

del potros forehand to me is very overrated.
Game.Petzschner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #74
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Tsonga's net play, his approach shot is as overrated as sex on the beach.
Good thing sex on the beach isn't overrated then
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #75
country flag TigerTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Good thing sex on the beach isn't overrated then
its all sandy. Trust.
Quote: