Most overrated shot (of the top players) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #46
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most overrated shot (of the top players)

As for Gasquet's backhand - the stroke itself is fantastic. The problem is his mindset and court positioning. No one is going to consistently dominate rallies on the backhand standing 2 metres behind the baseline hitting the ball below net height.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #47
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Even apart from that, I don't remember any tweener passing-shot as powerful and well placed as that.
Haas hit a GOAT tweener vs Federer (ironically) in the 2007 Dubai SF. He hit was in the middle of the court with Federer at the net and he passed him with a clean winner when he had little to no angle to work with. Can't find it on youtube anymore though sadly.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #48
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
agree with gasquet's backhand.

as a finishing shot it's absolutely spectacular, but his average cross court rallying shot isn't anything special.

look what happens when he comes up against a true GOAT contender backhand

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/...=N301&oId=G628

even watching ferrer v gasquet at the australian open. ferrer easily held his own in the backhand to backhand rallies and most people would agree ferrer has one of the worst backhands in the top 20.

federer's net game is overrated too. it may be technically excellent but he just doesn't spend enough time up there and therefore makes too many stupid errors when he does.
Three bagels. Maybe that's how Dave got fat.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
country flag castrationcult

castrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond reputecastrationcult has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
As for Gasquet's backhand - the stroke itself is fantastic. The problem is his mindset and court positioning. No one is going to consistently dominate rallies on the backhand standing 2 metres behind the baseline hitting the ball below net height.
Agree.

While the Nalbandian-Gasquet head to head is very one-sided, and Nalbandian has often dominated Gasquet in cross court backhand rallies, it doesn't tell the whole story. Nalbandian's court-position + superior forehand gives him something of a 'handicap' in these type of rallies. Still Gasquet manages to reel off some tasty winners (usually when the match is already lost and he can't be arsed doing his 10 feet behind the baseline act).

While Gasquet's backhand swing is very long I don't think it would be so prohibitive if he had a different forehand technique and mentality. While his highlight reel winners have probably caused some to overrate the shot, it's still very rare to see him shank or mishit on that side, even when he chooses to take it on the rise (unlike another famous one-hander who has a far shorter swing).

https://twitter.com/#!/TennisNiche
castrationcult is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #50
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

The last time Gasquet hit a ball on the rise was 2007.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #51
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, apparently your post gets deleted when you say Federer is overrated, but I'll try again.

His forehand is overrated (greatest weapon ever, hmm, highly questionable), but the main thing is that Federer in general is overhyped on here. JesusFed and stuff like that. 'Peak Federer would've killed him.'

No, just say no to that.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #52
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Ok, apparently your post gets deleted when you say Federer is overrated, but I'll try again.

His forehand is overrated (greatest weapon ever, hmm, highly questionable), but the main thing is that Federer in general is overhyped on here. JesusFed and stuff like that. 'Peak Federer would've killed him.'

No, just say no to that.
Federer's forehand is rated as it should. His peak forehand was virtually flawless. The backhand is the stroke that gets overrated to an extent.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #53
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowMustGoOn View Post
What do you mean? He's pretty comfortable with them and doesn't often make mistakes, when he goes to the net he generally puts the volleys away and makes it look easy.
nadal only goes to the net when he has the point set up. He can make easy put away volleys but he can't volley to save his life.
duarte_a is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Federer's forehand is rated as it should. His peak forehand was virtually flawless. The backhand is the stroke that gets overrated to an extent.
His backhand is the shot that is underrated here, I think. Because of what Nadal did to it, everyone is always saying 'just loop it on to his backhand and Shankerer will rise.'

It's a good shot, not great, but it's not easy to break down at all. Only Nadal looks capable of doing ot consistently.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #55
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
His backhand is the shot that is underrated here, I think. Because of what Nadal did to it, everyone is always saying 'just loop it on to his backhand and Shankerer will rise.'

It's a good shot, not great, but it's not easy to break down at all. Only Nadal looks capable of doing ot consistently.
Just because it never "breaks" down doesn't mean it isn't overrated. He is coming second in the poll for best single handed backhand of all time. That says it all. To clarify I am talk about his topspin backhand. His excellent slice does a good job of masking the deficiencies of his rally drive.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #56
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Just because it never "breaks" down doesn't mean it isn't overrated. He is coming second in the poll for best single handed backhand of all time. That says it all. To clarify I am talk about his topspin backhand. His excellent slice does a good job of masking the deficiencies of his rally drive.
Put Federer in a poll on here and he'll get most of the votes. Make a poll about the greatest RG champion, borg or nadal, and Federer would still win on here. I think it's more a matter of him being overrated by his fanboys, than that they actually think his backhand is that great.

If you want their real opinions, read their angry/anxiety posts during a Fed match. Always bitching on that 'horrible' backhand

Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #57
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's topspin BH has really only been outstanding (for me) for a period of a few months at the end of 2006. Before and after it was always the lesser of his rally shots (FH and BH slice as well) by a large margin.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #58
country flag leng jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Federer's topspin BH has really only been outstanding (for me) for a period of a few months at the end of 2006. Before and after it was always the lesser of his rally shots (FH and BH slice as well) by a large margin.
2006 TMC final.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #59
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet's backhand is a dual shot.
His attacking backhand is one of the greatest shot of the history.
His "rally" backhand is good but his court positioning reduces his efficiency.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #60
country flag leng jai

The amazingness of Gasquet's backhand is skewed by the fact that any backhand would look GOAT in contrast to that forehand.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals