Wawrinka to be Switzerland's flagbearer - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #106
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wawrinka to be Switzerland's flagbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
That's good of you to speak for the Swiss team.

Nobody is doubting his credentials but it would have been fairly sad if a country couldn't find one other worthy athlete in 12 years to carry their flag. He's had that honour twice which is more than enough. Time to give someone else a chance especially as "one of the greatest athletes in all sports" has yet to win an individual Olympic medal. For all his incredible achievements (and I agree, he is a supreme athlete), he is far from an "Olympic legend".
Federer obviously thought like you (when he didn't have to) and in a magnificent display of humility and benevolence, stepped aside.
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #107
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Another tennis player carrying the Swiss flag? I feel bad for all the other Swiss athletes who have to take a backseat every Olympics to TRH Rogistan.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #108
country flag Boarder35m

Boarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
Another tennis player carrying the Swiss flag? I feel bad for all the other Swiss athletes who have to take a backseat every Olympics to TRH Rogistan.
Summer games sports are just not the main kind of sport in Switzerland.
If the IOC decided to have tennis as an indoor sport in Winter Olympics (if you have blue clay and football WC in Katar you can also think about that ) it would be different.

There are several gold medal or at least medal winners in Winter Olympics in every Olympic Games, well probably because Switzerland has a long tradition there.
Boarder35m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #109
country flag Eden
Friends will be friends

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
Is no one else in Switzerland worthy of the honor?
Gian Gilli, director of Swiss Olympics, said before the decision was made that the person who would carry the flag would have to be someone with international success, a good renown and who can be available.

You have to see which athletes will already be in London for the opening ceremony or which of them already have their competition the next day.

I don't think Roger suggested Stan at all. He just said that another athlete should get the chance to carry the flag.

That they decided to give this honour then to a tennisplayer as well is surprising but I think Stan really deserves it

He won the Gold medal 4 years ago, always plays for Switzerland in the Davis Cup and has been ranked amongst the Top 10 tennis players.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #110
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke007 View Post

very thoughtful from roger
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #111
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

@ haters, they go to such lengths to bash Roger

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #112
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone love Roger
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #113
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
Because it sounds like a "pity gesture". Wawrinka wouldn't be anywhere close to holding a gold medal without Fed.
Oh come on. It works both ways. Wawa is the reason Fed managed to salvage his 2008 season. He is a gold medalist. It's not a pity gesture. How many other famous gold medalists do you guys have from Beijing ?
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #114
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Clowns gonna clown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #115
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Oh come on. It works both ways. Wawa is the reason Fed managed to salvage his 2008 season. He is a gold medalist. It's not a pity gesture. How many other famous gold medalists do you guys have from Beijing ?
As shocking as this may sound, I completely agree with Allez. Wawa helped Roger get to that gold medal and Roger acknowledges as much.

When Federer criticised Wawa for his match at this year's Davis Cup(somewhat unfairly according to the haters and some others) people were excusing him by citing his sincerity in interviews. Why is it then that when he actually gives credit to Wawa that he's seen as liar, etc. Seems like double standards to me.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #116
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
Where the hell is Har-Tru, he must be jizzing his pants over this news
har tru is a clown of the highest order. closet nadaltard who probly only roots for stan because he thinks it makes him look good.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #117
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
SUI for suitable of course.
gagsquet trolling like a french champ

he'll probly choke at the end
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #118
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy for stan however there are others that would have made so much more sense. Fabian cancellara for example would have been a good choice
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #119
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
gagsquet trolling like a french champ

he'll probly choke at the end
I didn't. Got a badrep from Looner.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #120
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
I am happy for stan however there are others that would have made so much more sense. Fabian cancellara for example would have been a good choice
Cancellara was considered but couldn't do it as he had an event the next day I believe.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote