5 Forehands With Deadly Finishing Power and Consistency In the Clutch - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #46
country flag The Fearhand

The Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let Us Decide On The 5 Greatest Forehands Ever Seen In The Sport

Muster
Lendl
Gonzo
Federer
Nadal
Sampras

To name a few. I know you said 5 but...ok take Sampras out and those 5 would be my pick.
The Fearhand is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #47
country flag The Fearhand

The Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
That sure feels good to get an individual mention right of the bat in a thread by the renowned Clay Death.

I don't like to comment on players I haven't seen play very often, so my discussion looks at more recent players.

After a bit of thought, I'm going to put Nadal's forehand as number one. It's well known that Nadal's forehand generates more topspin than any other ground stroke ever in the game. This spin enables him to take tremendous rips at the ball and still have considerable margin. This margin means that he rarely misses and this gives him even more confidence in pressure situations. The topspin also makes it so difficult to volley and consistently attack, plus it allows incredible angles. Put this on clay and the vast majority of opponents simply can't handle it. Add leftyness and amazing speed (running around backhands) and you have one of the most effective weapons in tennis, ever.

Nadal's forehand may be best overall, but it certainly isn't the best in all conditions. For all round effectiveness, look no further than Federer. He also generates a lot of topspin, but not as much as Nadal. His forehand is generally hit with more power though. Give Nadal the right forehand and he'll ware you down pretty quickly, but Federer will usually hit a winner quicker. It was scary how dominant Federer's forehand was in his prime. Just slightly more errors are enough to push him back from number one in my opinion.

Often a good way to find players with an amazing stroke is to look at the rest of their game. Moya and Gonzalez didn't have good backhands but were both very good players. Hence their forehands must have been excellent. Moya ran around his forehand heaps and had every right to given that it was one of the best shots in tennis. Kind of like Nadal's, yet flatter and less consistent (and a righty). Gonzalez's forehand was extremely powerful and when he was in the zone, it was virtually unstoppable.

Special mentions to Agassi who was amazing at taking the ball on the rise (on both wings including the forehand) and Sampras with his incredible running forehands. I don't feel brave enough to rank players beyond the top two, but Nadal and Federer have a clear lead (among relatively recent players).
The Fearhand is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #48
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
It's impossible just to rank forehands in order, it's not as simple as that.

I'd pick Federer as number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #49
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Come on, you know what I mean
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #50
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

David Ferrer should be in the discussion, not as THE best but in the top 10. It is relentless. Consistent and the inside out is ferocious, its also one of the most precise as he can hit short angles inside the service line when he steps in. It's a whirling dervish when he gets a good rip from the back of the court.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #51
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to judge because I haven't seen much pre 1990's tennis, but I'll have a go anyway.

1- Federer: can do anything with it, takes the ball very early, very precise, very powerful with a nice margin for error. Sick angles. Massive spin as well. Anyone hitting to Federer's forehand instantly lets him build the point. Even guys like Gonzalez can't hold a forehand to forehand exchange with Federer. THE biggest weapon in tennis ever.

2- Lendl: from what I've seen on youtube videos, he hits it very very hard compared to the other guys at his time.

3- Gonzalez: nothing to add really, a nuclear bomb but less consitent than the others in this list.

4- Grosjean: sick angles and pace. That's the weapon that brought a very small guy like him to the top 4.

5- Sampras: pistol forehand

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Grosjean's is a personal fave of mine even if not the best one.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #53
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
David Ferrer should be in the discussion, not as THE best but in the top 10. It is relentless. Consistent and the inside out is ferocious, its also one of the most precise as he can hit short angles inside the service line when he steps in. It's a whirling dervish when he gets a good rip from the back of the court.
Underrated shot: yes.

Deserving of a place in the top 10 forehands ever: nope.

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #54
country flag TheTennisFanatic

TheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTheTennisFanatic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biased but I'd take Federer's forehand over Nadal's. Let's modify the question a bit to make it more interesting: Who would win most if you were only allowed to hit forehands after a neutral ball feed. I know movement comes into play here but then isn't movement a big part of all shots save the serve?
TheTennisFanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #55
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator View Post
Will do soon, work permitting! Just one more Rafa Miracle Forehand Shot to deliver the point:

good one. keep them coming.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #56
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Grosjean's is a personal fave of mine even if not the best one.

i will have to take a quick look at his forehand. some others have mentioned it too.

it must have been pretty damn good.

post a few videos here if you get a chance.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #57
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i will have to take a quick look at his forehand. some others have mentioned it too.

it must have been pretty damn good.

post a few videos here if you get a chance.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #58
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has got to be the forehand GOAT, but Nadal and Gonzalez are likely also top 5
Forehand-oriented generation for sure

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #59
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Gonzo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
He mugged that up real good. Good this isn't the 5 greatest backhands thread, because that one at 4-2 30-15 would be thrown in to show who should definitely not be in that discussion.
No. Nole mugged up real good not to win it in 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Top 10? no way!
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #60
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
not too shabby. he took it on the rise and ripped it time and again.

his backhand was not too bad either.