Who will complete the "Hexagon" first - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will complete the ATP Hexagon first?

Roger Federer with the gold medal 30 29.70%
Novak Djokovic with the Olympics 15 14.85%
Rafael Nadal with an ATP Final victory 56 55.45%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #16
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will complete the "Hexagon" first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
Did you see him beat Llodra in the final, the day after he played a really long, epic five setter against Llodra/Clement? It was the fifth match, Novak had won his match to get the tie to 2-2. Everything depended on Troicki and he delivered. It was beautiful to see.

That Davis Cup was truly a team's effort. It wasn't all Novak. Every player saved the team at least once. Tipsarevic did it in the SF by beating Stepanek and Berdych, who was ranked 7 (Tipsy was 37).

They all deserve the Davis Cup.
I agree that Davis Cup is a truly team's effort.
One player alone cannot win it.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #17
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lleyton_ View Post
Olympic gold? It's not even bigger than a Masters 1000.
The fail is strong with this post.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #18
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has already completed it, he has an Olympic gold medal.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #19
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Federer has already completed it, he has an Olympic gold medal.
Where are his grand slam titles then, and the ATP Finals title?

Doubles is a different game to singles.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #20

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Where are his grand slam titles then, and the ATP Finals title?

Doubles is a different game to singles.
Not in the Olympics they aren't. Winning a gold medal for your country (and yourself) in singles or doubles is exactly the same.

I understand what you mean, but is the singles Olympic tournament in tennis that important as a tennis achievement? It is more important than it once was for sure, but not convinced it's as important as the other five.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #21
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not in the Olympics they aren't. Winning a gold medal for your country (and yourself) in singles or doubles is exactly the same.

I understand what you mean, but is the singles Olympic tournament in tennis that important as a tennis achievement? It is more important than it once was for sure, but not convinced it's as important as the other five.
Well, you could say the same thing about any tournament then? Winning a grand slam is winning a grand slam, singles or doubles…

It's not the case though. Just because it's the Olympics, doesn't mean it's any different to other events, in this context.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Well, you could say the same thing about any tournament then? Winning a grand slam is winning a grand slam, singles or doubles…

It's not the case though. Just because it's the Olympics, doesn't mean it's any different to other events, in this context.
No. Grand Slams are ITF events, with different categories (singles, doubles, mixed...) with different trophies and prize money for each...

The Olympics transcend tennis, the gold medal you get from winning singles isn't any different or less meaningful than the gold medal you get from winning doubles.

I do understand your point about this context, but are the Olympics important enough strictly as a tennis event to be part of the Hexagon? Not sure they are, after all they offer less ranking points than a Masters 1000.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #23
country flag The Prince

Quote:
No. Grand Slams are ITF events, with different categories (singles, doubles, mixed...) with different trophies and prize money for each...

The Olympics transcend tennis, the gold medal you get from winning singles isn't any different or less meaningful than the gold medal you get from winning doubles.

I do understand your point about this context, but are the Olympics important enough strictly as a tennis event to be part of the Hexagon? Not sure they are, after all they offer less ranking points than a Masters 1000.
Of course he can always say, 'I have a gold medal'.

But the gold was in doubles, and I believe, for similar reasons as to why Davis Cup is not included, that a doubles gold medal shouldn't go towards achieving such a feat as this. It's a measure of ability in the singles game, not the doubles game.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I understand your point, and absolutely recognise the symbolism of any Olympic gold. Anyway, let's not get too worked up about something this trivial.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Of course he can always say, 'I have a gold medal'.

But the gold was in doubles, and I believe, for similar reasons as to why Davis Cup is not included, that a doubles gold medal shouldn't go towards achieving such a feat as this. It's a measure of ability in the singles game, not the doubles game.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I understand your point, and absolutely recognise the symbolism of any Olympic gold. Anyway, let's not get too worked up about something this trivial.
Yes, I know you're talking about the singles gold as a tennis achievement, but that's what I'm questioning. Is the event that important in strictly tennis terms? I mean, it's worth less ranking points than a Masters 1000.

Would anyone argue Massu is a greater tennis player than Murray because he has won one of the 'Hexagon' and Murray hasn't? I doubt it very much. I have to disagree that the singles Olympic gold is a great measure of ability in the singles game, at least not yet; I'm assuming the event will only gain in importance as the years go by.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #25
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

We're talking about tennis players' singles careers in a tennis context. In an Olympic games context, Federer has a gold medal but this achievement requires a singles one. It's just common sense.

And in regards to your Massu argument, Lenders, this is not about winning 'one of the Hexagon' -- there is no such thing. It's about the achievement of winning all those titles.

With that said, I think Djokovic is most likely to make it first, even though he's -2. Either way, we'll know much more after the Olympics.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
country flag ssj100

ssj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very well to mention that the Olympic Gold is an "important" title to have. However, you can always make up many "records" to achieve and claim that this player or that player hasn't achieved it. This is why when one is considering who is the GOAT, it's important to combine all records together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but great players like Laver and Borg never had a chance to win an Olympic Gold. Just like great players of the last 5 years haven't had much chance to clock up many wins on the "carpet" surface. I don't think that McEnroe winning so many times on carpet contributes any significant weighting to his greatness. The same goes for Olympic Gold, as it stands now - winning this title doesn't contribute any significant weighting to any tennis player's greatness. However, like some have alluded, it may have more weighting in 50-100 years' time, if tennis players and spectators elevate it to the most prestigious title in the sport.

6-2, 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-0 (and not even finals).
ssj100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #27
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see Rafa winning the WTF. It's indoors and at the end of the year. Which means he has to play his least favourite surface when he's all worn out.

For now Fed has the best chances, because the olympics are held on grass. If he doesn't take it now though, it won't happen at all.

For Nole the window might be just as big. I do see him winning RG, but I wouldn't be surprised if he declined alot faster than Fed after 28.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
country flag Lleyton_

Lleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously?

When one's career is over, what are they going to remember more? A Masters 1000 title or winning the Olympic Gold?

I actually think being an Olympian is a great achievement in itself.
I don't know, ask them. What I know is tennis in the Olympics is not bigger than a Masters 1000 as evidenced by the points awarded for both events - 750 vs 1000. Tennis players grow up dreaming of winning a slam/becoming no.1 not winning a gold medal.

I don't deny its sentimental value though. After all athletes play for their country :barf: acting all religious during the day, thanking God or Jesus or some other deity after winning whilst fucking the entire Olympic village at nights.
Lleyton_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lleyton_ View Post
I don't know, ask them. What I know is tennis in the Olympics is not bigger than a Masters 1000 as evidenced by the points awarded for both events - 750 vs 1000. Tennis players grow up dreaming of winning a slam/becoming no.1 not winning a gold medal.I don't deny its sentimental value though. After all athletes play for their country :barf: acting all religious during the day, thanking God or Jesus or some other deity after winning whilst fucking the entire Olympic village at nights.
This.

Every tennis player dream is to win a slam, the most coveted and hard to win titles.

Olympics is nice but that's about it.
duarte_a is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say Fed, but it's rather high-risk for him as if he doesn't do it this year, he won't at all.

Nadal isn't very good indoors, so that's not that likely. Djokovic needs two more events rather than one to achieve it, but perhaps better upside.