Summer Hardcourt & Olympics - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #91
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Hardcourt & Olympics

I am so shocked and stunned. I mean, I could see this comming, but I thought he was going to announce it еarlier. In the press conference he seems in peace with himself and this is good. I really hope he can enjoy tonight match the best he can. At this point, the result does not matter.
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #92
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Good way to go out, it was really getting hard to watch the last 2 years.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #93
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I had a feeling after the AO this year. Then, I really believed it after he lost at Wimbledon. The way he walked off after his last match and the look on his face. I was actually more surprised when Delray announced that he had signed for next year's tournament. In a way though, I'm not surprised that Andy didn't make a big deal out of this being his last year on tour and only announced it right before a match that he could very likely lose. I can see why he would want to try to keep it as low key as possible, but at the same time let his fans and sponsors know. He tried to do both of those at the same time and that's not easy.

Two things I'm sure we'll see before the end of the year - a book deal and a TV commentary gig, even if its just a limited contract. He might be Davis Cup captain some day, but I don't see him as a full time coach.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #94
country flag seljanin

seljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing lasts forever, and this day was inevitable, but - damn! - I just cannot imagine, how to follow tennis, when there is no Andy Roddick to root for in the pro tour anymore. It has been smth like 10+ years since I am Andy's fan. My previous favorite player Pete Sampras retired in the best possible way, not everyone is blessed to retire like he did. After Pete retired, Andy quickly became my favorite player, he still is, and I doubt that there will be any player, whom I will support more than Andy. For the last few years I tried to watch his every match, if it was possible, and, if it wasn't possible or didn't have a stream, I was always following livescore. I think I was kinda living with his career a little as well Sure, Andy's retirement doesn't mean I will follow tennis less or anything like that. Tennis is by far my favorite sport, I love and watch all kind of tennis, also challengers, futures, even lower levels. However, Andy is the player, who is at the very top of my tennis pyramid, and, despite I felt that this retirement is closing in, and probably it is the best thing for him to say goodbye, my heart is really bleeding today Thus far I couldn't hold the tears only once because of tennis, and it was when Andy lost to Roger 14-16 in W'2009. The moment, when he waves his farewell here in USO, will for sure be the 2nd time.

My biggest tennis regret is that I have never seen Andy live. I have been to ATP tournament only once, in Valencia 2010, and unfortunately Andy had chosen to play Basel that week. I wanted to go to England this year, but couldn't make a room in my schedule, and was hoping that I will get to see him next year for sure Well, this is my own fault, but that is not fixable anymore.

So... probably for the final time... Come on, Andy! Will cheer for every single point he wins, when watching TV this night

F. Mayer/M/Youzhny/F. Fognini/J. Nieminen/L. Rosol/G. Muller/D. Brands/I. Sijsling/K. de Schepper/L. Hewitt/J. Zopp/M. Berrer/I. Karlovic/F. Nielsen/C. Guccione

S. Querrey/J. Janowicz/F. Lopez/B. Baker/R. Harrison/L. Kubot/S. Darcis/D. Meffert/M. Przysiezny/H. Podlipnik-Castillo/A. Olivetti/A. Bogdanovic/P. Oswald/A. Juška/V. Ivanov/R. Bloomfield/N. Rosenzweig
seljanin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #95
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljanin View Post

Nothing lasts forever, and this day was inevitable, but - damn! - I just cannot imagine, how to follow tennis, when there is no Andy Roddick to root for in the pro tour anymore. It has been smth like 10+ years since I am Andy's fan. My previous favorite player Pete Sampras retired in the best possible way, not everyone is blessed to retire like he did. After Pete retired, Andy quickly became my favorite player, he still is, and I doubt that there will be any player, whom I will support more than Andy. For the last few years I tried to watch his every match, if it was possible, and, if it wasn't possible or didn't have a stream, I was always following livescore. I think I was kinda living with his career a little as well Sure, Andy's retirement doesn't mean I will follow tennis less or anything like that. Tennis is by far my favorite sport, I love and watch all kind of tennis, also challengers, futures, even lower levels. However, Andy is the player, who is at the very top of my tennis pyramid, and, despite I felt that this retirement is closing in, and probably it is the best thing for him to say goodbye, my heart is really bleeding today Thus far I couldn't hold the tears only once because of tennis, and it was when Andy lost to Roger 14-16 in W'2009. The moment, when he waves his farewell here in USO, will for sure be the 2nd time.

My biggest tennis regret is that I have never seen Andy live. I have been to ATP tournament only once, in Valencia 2010, and unfortunately Andy had chosen to play Basel that week. I wanted to go to England this year, but couldn't make a room in my schedule, and was hoping that I will get to see him next year for sure Well, this is my own fault, but that is not fixable anymore.

So... probably for the final time... Come on, Andy! Will cheer for every single point he wins, when watching TV this night
I agree my man. I totally agree.

I saw him play a few times in person once at WTT, a few times at the USO from the nose bleeds. I have a pic with him before he went on to win 2 masters and then the USO in the summer of 03'. He's really the guy that got me started in watching tennis. I was spoiled. I started watching him in 2002 and then after only watching tennis for a year he won the open and I thought it would always be like that. Unfortunately you realize sports are for the most part ultimately very disappointing.

I never recovered as a fan from the 2009 loss, it just taught me to not get my hopes up anymore.

It's just weird for years, I've looked where Andy is when the draws come out for the majors and sort of try to imagine a way he could work his way though and win the thing.

I feel like not having to watch Andy lose anymore will be a burden off my shoulders and I can just watch the tennis now and root for nice matches but I won't have to worry about being emotionally let down all the time after losses.
That's the gospel.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #96
country flag seljanin

seljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond reputeseljanin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
I never recovered as a fan from the 2009 loss, it just taught me to not get my hopes up anymore.

It's just weird for years, I've looked where Andy is when the draws come out for the majors and sort of try to imagine a way he could work his way though and win the thing.

I feel like not having to watch Andy lose anymore will be a burden off my shoulders and I can just watch the tennis now and root for nice matches but I won't have to worry about being emotionally let down all the time after losses.
Yep, me too. If I just had a single wish to change one result in the history of the sport, Wimbledon 2009 final would be my immediate and only choice. I still can't force myself to watch highlights or trophy ceremony from that match, just can't.

Agree with other as well. When any kind of draw was made, I opened it with a first thought - ok, where's Roddick? Aha, here he is. In order to win the tournament he has to... Yeah... many years like that already. I think the very first time when I noticed Andy was when he defeated Michael Chang in French Open in 2001. That big serve + big FH combo and explosiveness made me a fan immediately. One month later I picked up a tennis racket for the first time in my life as well. Andy was among the main reasons for that.

F. Mayer/M/Youzhny/F. Fognini/J. Nieminen/L. Rosol/G. Muller/D. Brands/I. Sijsling/K. de Schepper/L. Hewitt/J. Zopp/M. Berrer/I. Karlovic/F. Nielsen/C. Guccione

S. Querrey/J. Janowicz/F. Lopez/B. Baker/R. Harrison/L. Kubot/S. Darcis/D. Meffert/M. Przysiezny/H. Podlipnik-Castillo/A. Olivetti/A. Bogdanovic/P. Oswald/A. Juška/V. Ivanov/R. Bloomfield/N. Rosenzweig
Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #97
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

so basically, someone just had to convince andy that every match was the last of his career

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #98
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

haha Deb....well that was a fun match to watch.

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #99
country flag seljanin

Andy was absolutely amazing tonight. Uhh... Andy... why was this FH hibernating since that win over Nadal in Miami 2010. Everything was clicking tonight. Ok, Tomic was poor, but Andy's FH had a good sting, BH was more than solid, slice approaches were deep, net game was sharp, and that serve was great as well. Bitter sweet match for me, but I finally felt that I am watching the vintage Andy, the one, whose fan I became all those years ago

Hopefully, he is able to produce similar level of play against Fognini Come on, Andy!

Last edited by seljanin : 09-01-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #100
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Great performance by Andy

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #101
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

Ha,Deb. That's just what I was thinking. He basically has no pressure on him because he's done either way. Tomic was just non-existent but I liked Andy's game tonight anyway.
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #102
country flag Fumus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljanin View Post
Yep, me too. If I just had a single wish to change one result in the history of the sport, Wimbledon 2009 final would be my immediate and only choice. I still can't force myself to watch highlights or trophy ceremony from that match, just can't.

Agree with other as well. When any kind of draw was made, I opened it with a first thought - ok, where's Roddick? Aha, here he is. In order to win the tournament he has to... Yeah... many years like that already. I think the very first time when I noticed Andy was when he defeated Michael Chang in French Open in 2001. That big serve + big FH combo and explosiveness made me a fan immediately. One month later I picked up a tennis racket for the first time in my life as well. Andy was among the main reasons for that.
Fuck that. I would just change the rain delay in 2004 and Roddick doesn't change to his stupid style of play wins gets the confidence and competes splitting titles with Federer. That killed him. That was the start of the decline.

Sure sure, he changed his game to become more well rounded but I think it would have happened anyways...09 was a heart breaker 04 was the career breaker.

What will we do with ourselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
so basically, someone just had to convince andy that every match was the last of his career
Just like how every post will be my last post until he loses that final match and retires.
That's the gospel.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #103
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Watching both his press conference yesterday and his post-match conference, I can see that Andy is content with his decision to retire. I will miss the highs and lows of watching Andy tennis. My only regret is that I never saw him live.

Hopefully another player will capture my interest. That said, there is something to watching tennis without emotion.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #104
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute

So...Thank you Andy for playing great at least once more. The moment the match started, I realize how different my life would be without him.
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #105
country flag starr_00

starr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond reputestarr_00 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow. Bought USO tickets a long time ago for Sunday... I'll be seeing Andy/Fognini tomorrow.

Been a huge Andy fan since 2001, obsessed like all you guys, following every win and loss, SO upset after Wimby '09. Can't believe I might possibly be watching his last match in person - total coincidence. But I'm hoping that there's no way he let's Fabio end his career. Not gonna lie, if tomorrow's match is it, I'll prob shed a few tears and totally embarrass myself in front of my friends lol.
starr_00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote