Can Nadal chase down Sampras? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Nadal catch Sampras?

No way he catches Sampras, Nadal will never win a slam or be #1 again 12 6.90%
He won't catch Sampras, but he will get a 12th slam 15 8.62%
Nadal will win 12 slams and get back to #1, but that's it 1 0.57%
Nadal will win 13 slams, but not get back to #1 17 9.77%
Nadal will win 13 slams, get 150ish weeks as #1 8 4.60%
Nadal will win 14 slams, but won't touch Pete's other records 44 25.29%
Nadal will win 14, and be close to Sampras otherwise to facilitate hearty debate 15 8.62%
Nadal will win 15 or more slams, but come nowhere near Pete's other records 62 35.63%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #61
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Nadal chase down Sampras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
bullshit list jonathan. you really know how to piss me off. emerson is the one who sampras bases his greatness on. and then sampras is surpassed by fed.

dont forget about the guy who set the standard for greatness.

where is my main man emerson?

also nadal doesnt need 14 to equal sampy`s greatness. he has already surpassed the likes of borg and sampras.

they would have trouble winning games against peak nadal, let alone sets.

sampy was a single dimensional mug.
I know Pete's been coming out with some shit lately verbally but that doesn't take away his tennis talents- world class serve, excellent forehand and superb volleys. His backhand was ordinary and he wasn't the fittest guy but he was the perfect fast court player and even managed to win two Aussie Opens on the slower Rebound Ace.

He didn't have the backhand for clay courts, or the patience for long rallies and that's ultimately why he never succeeded in Paris.

Nadal never dominated like Sampras did. Would he beat him in a match? On today's surfaces, more often than not. On 90s surfaces? Only clay most likely.

Nadal would have to win about 16 slams and win one more USO and AO to be considered ahead of Sampras who dominated a decade. Nadal, like Agassi, is more remembered for being the career slam winner who was never dominant across the board.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #62
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

actually the totality of clay warrior`s domination of ALL of the big clay events for the last 8 years surpasses pete`s domimation of faster surfaces.

sampy went far on grass because of his serve. he is considered a single trick pony.

teenager fed took him out on grass which shows how limited sampy was. a kid with a better all around game took him down.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #63
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
actually the totality of clay warrior`s domination of ALL of the big clay events for the last 8 years surpasses pete`s domimation of faster surfaces.

sampy went far on grass because of his serve. he is considered a single trick pony.

teenager fed took him out on grass which shows how limited sampy was. a kid with a better all around game took him down.
To be fair, Sampras had passed his peak by then, after 1998 I'd say he was on the wane. Fed's win was awesome and memorable, but there was no doubt Pete's peak years were 1993-97.

And there are a lot who put his forehand up there with the best of them, especially on the run.

Nadal's clay dominance is outrageously impressive of course, but in general he has not dominated the board, which is why I compare him to Agassi. He won a career slam, but was never the dominant guy in any era he played in- Lendl, Sampras and Federer dominated three of the four eras he played in and the other one was pretty open season when Hewitt, Safin and Guga managed to fill their CVs alongside him.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #64
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
To be fair, Sampras had passed his peak by then, after 1998 I'd say he was on the wane. Fed's win was awesome and memorable, but there was no doubt Pete's peak years were 1993-97.

And there are a lot who put his forehand up there with the best of them, especially on the run.

Nadal's clay dominance is outrageously impressive of course, but in general he has not dominated the board, which is why I compare him to Agassi. He won a career slam, but was never the dominant guy in any era he played in- Lendl, Sampras and Federer dominated three of the four eras he played in and the other one was pretty open season when Hewitt, Safin and Guga managed to fill their CVs alongside him.

why does nadal have to "dominate the board" as you say when he dominated the greatest player ever lived?

is that not enough? he not only dominated him but he derailed him from his throne. that is the greatest feat of courage and relentless will i have ever seen in tennis other than what muster did after being run over by a drunk driver.

nadal could have given up any of those years he was #2 behind fed.

who else on the planet can ever boast such an accomplishment?

take out nadal`s imbecility and pathetic scheduling and he stays healthy in 2009.

14 slams would have been a done deal already. still he is going to get 14-15. even injured all the time and with fucked knees and serving with the wrong hand this man is going to get his 14-15 slams.

and now he is having to deal with nole who is the greatest mover the world has ever known.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #65
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

not that I am doing this anti-jinxing/low expectation again, but i think people are a bit too positive about him winning 14 slams or even more. See, he only managed to win 1 slam for the past 2 years when he was still at his peak years (25-26), so how can it be so sure that he gonna wins 3 more when he is getting older?? It will take him 3-4 years before he can reach 14, can he still win slams at 28/29? Even the great Roger, who has less injuries and better body, found it difficult to win another one after 28. 12-13 slams would be a more accurate figure.

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #66
Banned!

Quote:
why does nadal have to "dominate the board" as you say when he dominated the greatest player ever lived?

is that not enough? he not only dominated him but he derailed him from his throne. that is the greatest feat of courage and relentless will i have ever seen in tennis other than what muster did after being run over by a drunk driver.

nadal could have given up any of those years he was #2 behind fed.

who else on the planet can ever boast such an accomplishment?

take out nadal`s imbecility and pathetic scheduling and he stays healthy in 2009.

14 slams would have been a done deal already. still he is going to get 14-15. even injured all the time and with fucked knees and serving with the wrong hand this man is going to get his 14-15 slams.

and now he is having to deal with nole who is the greatest mover the world has ever known.
By dominating the board I meant weeks at number one and having 3 slam seasons, being the best player over the year. He only managed that once, just like Agassi did in 1999.

Sure, Nadal's accomplishments are unarguable, but despite his excellent head to head record against his rival, he was still locked in behind him for the majority of his career at the top of the game.

I still have Sampras ahead of Nadal unless he goes past his slam count with another hard court GS at least. Borg's a much closer one, but Nadal's definitely surpassed him as clay GOAT. It's impossible to use the Aussie Opens to compare them either as it was a Mickey Mouse slam back then (I mean an average player like Kriek won it twice, says it all)

Being objective towards the Mallorcan, logically it makes no sense to make a huge effort to win another hardcourt major anyway, he's got them both and if he wants longevity, focus on RG and Wimbledon.

He'll definitely get to 13 at least though, he'll win at least two more RGs.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #67
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras is still greater than Rafa, Rafa needs to win 3 more slams and at least one year end championship to equal him.

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #68
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

interesting. did johan kriek really win the australian open twice?

i will have to catch up with the australian open history again.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #69
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
Sampras is still greater than Rafa, Rafa needs to win 3 more slams and at least one year end championship to equal him.

not according to laver mimi.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #70
Banned!

Quote:
interesting. did johan kriek really win the australian open twice?

i will have to catch up with the australian open history again.
Yep, and he beat Steve Denton in the final both times (whose highest ranking was 12)

No Borg or McEnroe at either tournament. Loads of Aussies stacked in the draw. Kriek took advantage and now with the Aussie Open's established prestige, is now looked back on as a genuine Slam champ.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #71
country flag Mimi

Quote:
not according to laver mimi.
when did Laver say Rafa is great4er than Pete?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #72
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Yep, and he beat Steve Denton in the final both times (whose highest ranking was 12)

No Borg or McEnroe at either tournament. Loads of Aussies stacked in the draw. Kriek took advantage and now with the Aussie Open's established prestige, is now looked back on as a genuine Slam champ.

never heard of steve denton.

anyway i do recall reading about kriek a while back. i hear he was considered the fasted man in tennis in his day.

he was evidently a world class sprinter and a world class gymnast as well if i remember what i read correctly.

so that dude was one hell of an athlete.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #73
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
when did Laver say Rafa is great4er than Pete?
i dont think he said it in any certain terms mimi.

i could be wrong but i thought i just heard him say that fed and nadal are the the 2 greatest ever.

also i might as well add that i dont give a damn what he has to say.

it is what i believe and what i see with my own eyes that matters the most to me.

i firmly believe that you have to top what laver did to be compared to him. he has not one but 2 calander year grand slams.

he took what he could take. and he would have taken more if it had been available.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #74
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

I can consider Nadal greater than Sampras if he adds more variety to his slams. If all the slams he wins from here on out are all just French Opens, I can't rank him above Sampras even if he does tie the 14 slam count. He also needs to win the YEC at least twice, I think.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #75
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
not that I am doing this anti-jinxing/low expectation again, but i think people are a bit too positive about him winning 14 slams or even more. See, he only managed to win 1 slam for the past 2 years when he was still at his peak years (25-26), so how can it be so sure that he gonna wins 3 more when he is getting older?? It will take him 3-4 years before he can reach 14, can he still win slams at 28/29? Even the great Roger, who has less injuries and better body, found it difficult to win another one after 28. 12-13 slams would be a more accurate figure.
past 2 years? this season is not over, US OPEN there is still chance. and he came very close on multiple occasions. the US OPEN last year was brutal, this year's Australia was so close that a game here or there could have caused Nadal to win.

even if he declines he probably still can beat the majority of players at Roland Garros in the next few years and if he just won one random other slam he'd reach 14. I think he will pass that number if only slightly

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote