Name me some top 100 players who are notorious point vultures - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name me some top 100 players who are notorious point vultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Bingo. That's exactly why Ferrer is a vulture, because he enters tournaments with weak fields, often in the same week where top players are battling it out ie. 8 of the top 10 players went to Dubai (Nadal didn't play that week) and Ferrer to Acapulco to prey on a week field.

It is a smart choice ranking point wise, but one that only a point vulture would make.
Both tournaments ( Dubai& Acapulco) are 500 tourneys, and Ferrer is much better on clay, so why on earth would he play Dubai? It´s only smart to choose his tournaments based on where he has the best chance of success. He also probably wasn´t offered the same kind of start money that a lot of the top players were.

As for the lower ranked players, it´s not about ego or point-whoring, a lot of the players have to consider where they can actually make the main draw, and if they have a realistic chance of winning any matches at all.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

keeping in mind that like 80% of the events on the tour are atp 250's i guess that makes anyone who plays alot of them a vulture.

you cant call ferrer a point vulture because while he does play in alot of these small tournaments he also does very well in the bigger events, usually he'll live up to his seeding.
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
country flag yesyesok

yesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond repute

I was discussing this with one may call a Ferrer-tard today.

He is playing two 250s between this week and next, off the back of Wimbledon.

As a top 30 commitment player he has already maxed out his other tournaments as far as 250s go, he can only gain 25 points by winning one or both the tournaments. Add to that it'll fall off anyway if he does any damage at the olympics, it is baffling.

I think he is less a points whore and more a player on the wrong side of thirtry trying to win as many tournaments as he can before his body gives up.
yesyesok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
country flag r3d_d3v1l_

r3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond repute

What about Almagro playing Nice days before RG? And Ferrer playing Den Bosch right before Wimbledon?

I understand why they do that (more Ferrer than Almagro) but i still think it´s unfair to the other players. Just compare what Haas had to do to win Halle and what Ferrer had to do to win his grass title.

It´s absurd. I think.
r3d_d3v1l_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
country flag delpiero7

delpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3d_d3v1l_ View Post
What about Almagro playing Nice days before RG? And Ferrer playing Den Bosch right before Wimbledon?

I understand why they do that (more Ferrer than Almagro) but i still think it´s unfair to the other players. Just compare what Haas had to do to win Halle and what Ferrer had to do to win his grass title.

It´s absurd. I think.
That's why it is smart of them to opt for the so called weaker draws. If these weaker 250s only offered Challenger points and prize money, then guys like Ferrer and Almagro wouldn't play them.

There are a lot of anomalies on the ATP tour WRT the status of tournaments. I understand some of the such as Queen's and Halle only being 250s is down to prize money on offer, so they would for the time being not be 500 events, no matter how strong the draws are. Maybe an intermediate 375 level needs to be created to create a clear distinction between traditionally weaker 250 fields, and those that are slightly stronger.

So for example:

250: Chennai, Auckland, Zagreb, Delray Beach, Newport etc.
375: Doha, Marseille, Queen's etc.
500: As now, although how Memphis is a 500 event...

I guess ATP 375 is nowhere near as catchy as ATP 250 or 500 though.
delpiero7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
country flag Hian-GOAT
Banned!

Hian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer
Lorenzi
Berlocq
Raonic
Hian-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Donald Young is the opposite of a points whore. He plays all ATP events where it's basically impossible for him to win points
Look what this is getting him. He is not that far away from threatening Vincent Spadeas record of 21 consecutive ATP losses.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

Juan Monaco, shouldnt be in the top 50 really.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think that anyone who's smart would schedule to increase their chances of winning.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
country flag delpiero7

delpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond reputedelpiero7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg6 View Post
You know what I'm talking about, guys like Ferrer, delPo, Lu, Chardy, Felo, who go around the tour playing in events where the field is extremely weak and basically a shoe-in for free points and a title. And the worst is that these guys do it all year round.
Quote:
Nole, Rafa, Tsonga, Ferrer to play Beijing 2012
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is pretty disrespectful. Blaming Ferrer for playing 500 Events like Acapulco? I don't even like that player but seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggyGotRoasted View Post
Juan Monaco, shouldnt be in the top 50 really.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #27
country flag tealeaves

tealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond reputetealeaves has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro a vulture ?
TT Singles CH #172
TT Doubles CH #103 - W: Guadalajara 2014; Bergamo, Cherbourg, Poznan 2013 (w/goOudinUSA)

Federer Del Potro Wawrinka Djokovic Berdych Nishikori Pospisil Youzhny Paire Soderling
tealeaves is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
country flag chenx15

chenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond repute

Because playing challengers is good to try your new tactics. it trains you mentally as well knowing that you can practice drills and still has a chance to lose. sometimes this pros do not have the money to pay a good hitting partner so they go to this challengers get some practice
Fed ... don't F this up. You got the break. Just finish this. I got work tomorrow, I got kids... wife needs affection. Give me a break man.
chenx15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
country flag delpiero7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealeaves View Post
Del Potro a vulture ?
He may have been last year, but that was solely to accelerate his ascent up the rankings to somewhere near his true ranking.

This year he has played all the events that Federer has played plus Marseille which was pretty strong for a 250.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #30
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealeaves View Post
Del Potro a vulture ?
Yes. Look at the tournaments he entered.

Roterdam 500 - full of mugs like Berdych and Federer.

Marseille 250 - even muggier field with journeyman like Tsonga, Fish and Tipsarevic.

Dubai - muggiest 500 event ever seen - Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych, only a vulture would enter this tournament.

If only he were like Ferrer, who only joins tournaments full of top 10 players...
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote