Wimbledon Final 2012: Federer def. Murray 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 - Page 71 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #1051
country flag xargon

xargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond reputexargon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledon Final 2012: Federer def. Murray 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4

In a past interview,when asked what it takes to beat Fed, Murray said, Nothing special.
Fed took it to him and paid him back for that.
I find it strange that Braveheart would cry in two losses to Fed.
xargon is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #1052
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymouse View Post
Sorry for being ignorant but who's the other guy?
Paul Annacone, his coach

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #1053
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke007 View Post
Cool pic
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #1054
country flag Rumour

Rumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond repute

Hopelessly late to the party but I can't fail to post my congrats to Federer on his record making win in this epic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
17 is an odd number. Better win the USO to make it even.

During his USO final against Delpo I was trying to make a smiley tribute similar to one I did for his 16th slam win but we all know how that one ended* So I'll wait until the next time... and I do believe there will be one.

* Not to start another debate on the topic but, while I feel Fed was in great position to win it, JMDP deservedly took the title and was far from a 'fluke' winner as some like to suggest.

The only thing you owe the public is a good performance.
Humphrey Bogart [1899-1957]
Rumour is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #1055
country flag mickymouse

mickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond reputemickymouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
Paul Annacone, his coach
Thanks!
I always assume Severin Luthi was his coach since he's the one at most of his matches.
mickymouse is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #1056
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymouse View Post
Thanks!
I always assume Severin Luthi was his coach since he's the one at most of his matches.
He has been unofficially always his "second" coach but the current one is Annacone.

This is a very interesting read:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...don-Title.aspx

Quote:

BRAIN GAME: FEDERER RETAKES THE NET

Roger Federer doubled down on the key tactic of getting to the net to win a record-equalling seventh Wimbledon title. Federer defeated Andy Murray 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 by coming forward to finish points at twice the rate that he did leading into the final.

Federer won 53/68 (78%) points at net from a combination of serving and volleying, approaching in a rally and attacking the net directly off Murray’s second serve. It didn’t matter how he got there or if he was approaching to Murray’s forehand or backhand. What mattered for Federer was to keep the points short, pressure Murray with his aggressive court position and rob the Scot of time to get organised for a passing shot.

Getting to the net is always part of Federer’s game plan, especially at Wimbledon, and you can see from the following tables it played a much bigger role in winning the final than it did getting to it. Federer averaged 8.8 net aproaches per set leading into the final and 17 net approaches per set in the final itself.

You can see from the following table below that Federer’s net attack played a much bigger role in winning the final than it did getting to it.

Code:
Round	  Opponent    Approaches Won    Winning % 

1st	Albert Ramos	  25/34	          74%
2nd	Fabio Fognini	  21/23	          91%
3rd	Julien Benneteau  22/39	          56%	
4th	Xavier Malisse	  34/39	          87%
QFs	Mikhail Youzhny	  24/34	          71%
SFs	Novak Djokovic	  14/22	          64%
F	Andy Murray	  53/68	          78%

Federer’s remarkable success with getting to the net even delivered a higher winning percentage than points won on his first serve (78% to 76%). You know you have a winning strategy when it trumps getting your first serve in the court.

Federer made 68 first serves for the match - exactly the same number of points he came forward to attack Murray at the net. Federer actually combined the two tactics superbly, winning 31/35 (88%) points when he made a first serve and then ventured forward, either by serving and volleying or approaching later in the point.

Mixing It Up
A crucial part of Federer’s attacking game plan was mixing in serve and volley points, where he was almost perfect winning 11/12 (91%). Federer used the tactic to keep Murray guessing whether or not he was immediately coming forward to begin the point. Sometimes Federer did not plan on serving and volleying but quickly changed his mind to take advantage of a high defensive floating return. Other times it was pre-meditated and only once did he have to hit his first volley below the height of the net.

Federer also chose to sporadically employ a chip and charge tactic when returning, coming in immediately off a second serve. He went 3/6 (50%) with this strategy and it was always with a backhand in the deuce court down the line to Murray’s backhand. Federer did it twice with the score at 0-0, twice with Murray leading 40-15 and twice at deuce. It was a tactic designed to create uncertainty and break Murray’s rhythm.

The bigger the point in the match, the more likely you were to find Federer applying pressure at the net. In the second set, with the match in the balance and the possibility of Federer going down two sets to love, he came to the net 19/25 (76%) times for his largest set-by-set total. In the fourth set, when the match was there to won, he went a near-perfect 12/13 (92%) coming forward.

Federer was ruthlessly efficient attacking the front of the court, finishing with 24 winners and making only six errors at the net. He finished with eight forehand volley winners, six backhand volley winners and eight overhead winners for the match.

Federer converted 4/12 (33%) of his break points for the match and it should come as no surprise he was at the net for two of them. The more important the point, the more Federer was hunting the short ball.

Picking His Moments
Federer broke Murray at 5-6 30-40 to win the second set when he hit a backhand volley winner at the end of a 20-shot rally. Federer patiently prowled the baseline looking for the right ball to come in on, and then had the crowd cheering wildly as he hit a heavy sidespin drop volley that Murray could not run down.

Approaching on break point also helped Federer get the crucial break in the third set. With Murray serving at Ad out at 2-3, Federer ran around a second serve directed to his backhand and crushed a forehand return deep down the middle. Two aggressive forehands later he was at the net and Murray missed a difficult pass down the line and the famous Federer fist pump was quick to follow. This point really signaled the beginning of the end of Murray’s chances to win.

Federer faced seven break points for the match, surrendering only two of them. Of the other five he saved, he finished at the net three times – two of which he put away with overhead winners and Murray missed a desperate forehand pass down the line on the other.

Murray also had success in the match when he came forward as well, winning 24/39 (62%), but his game style does not have the same urgency as Federer’s to finish at the net. Federer won 35% (53 of 151) of his total points at the net while Murray was less than half of that, winning 17% (24 of 137).

Federer’s commitment to finish at the net enabled him to play the match much more on his terms and force Murray to defend more than he wanted. It also stole valuable points that Murray needed to attack Federer in bruising baseline rallies.

This match provides a blueprint for Federer’s continued success on the other side of 30 as it enables him to impose his attacking game style on his opponent in the most efficient way possible.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #1057
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Thanks for that article. The netplay in the match was one of the things that made it really exciting to watch, and it's nice to see that solid attacking tennis can pay off in today's dominantly-baseline game as well.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #1058
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
^^ Thanks for that article. The netplay in the match was one of the things that made it really exciting to watch, and it's nice to see that solid attacking tennis can pay off in today's dominantly-baseline game as well.
you said it well: SOLID, that's something Berdych and Tsonga are capable off in a good day but they aren't consistent enough to do it like Roger has been doing for the last 8 or 9 months.

And I can't honestly remember a Wimbledon champion that has won by pushing, one way or another even defensive players like Rafa or Hewitt ended up being aggressive (at different moments) on the grass of the AELTC.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #1059
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you said it well: SOLID, that's something Berdych and Tsonga are capable off in a good day but they aren't consistent enough to do it like Roger has been doing for the last 8 or 9 months.
Tsonga has a really good net game but he doesn't pick his moments well. He rushed the net at pretty idiotic times against Murray in the SF. Berdych seems to only approach when he has an easy put away but I can't say for sure 'cause I don't watch his matches enough.

Quote:
And I can't honestly remember a Wimbledon champion that has won by pushing, one way or another even defensive players like Rafa or Hewitt ended up being aggressive (at different moments) on the grass of the AELTC.
What about last year's? Genuinely asking. I don't remember it very well.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #1060
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Quote:
Tsonga has a really good net game but he doesn't pick his moments well. He rushed the net at pretty idiotic times against Murray in the SF. Berdych seems to only approach when he has an easy put away but I can't say for sure 'cause I don't watch his matches enough.

What about last year's? Genuinely asking. I don't remember it very well.
Tsonga has the worst possible approach shots you can imagine, he's great at the volleying part but his approaches are just

Berdych doesn't volley much, he's happy by just hitting the ball as hard as possible

I don't think Nole pushed in last years' final, he wasn't as offensive as he used to be but he did pull the trigger in a lot of points

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #1061
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

have to mention this. I watched the match on Spanish television. Most used word was "Genio" . Never heard that for Nadal
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1062
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tsonga has the worst possible approach shots you can imagine, he's great at the volleying part but his approaches are just
That's what I always thought . That BH approach DTL especially... it's not even close to being deep or DTL

Because of that, he's forced to look awful on his volleys at times.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #1063
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
That's what I always thought . That BH approach DTL especially... it's not even close to being deep or DTL

Because of that, he's forced to look awful on his volleys at times.
At least there's someone with shittier approach shots: Andy Roddick.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #1064
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At least there's someone with shittier approach shots: Andy Roddick.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #1065
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick's approach shots as good as his normal groundstrokes so you can hardly blame the guy.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread