The truth is - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
country flag koslav85

koslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond reputekoslav85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The truth is

We are witnessing one of the greatest eras in history of this sport. I might call Federer a fedmug or joke around with this and that, but the truth is he is the greates player ever so far and sorry although I like Nadal and Djokovic more there is no evidence to dispute that. This is great and we should be thankful for having these players entertain us. Federer is not going anywhere soon, he will play for another three years at least and hopefully Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and rest of the guys stay healthy so the quality of this game remains at a high level. We have another four years or so of this era and then its pretty much over. Adios amigos. Vamos Nadal, Djokovic and Federer along with underworld lord Murray , the king of almost there.
koslav85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth is

Federer's greatness does not make up for an extremely poor era. nor do the other top few guys, Nadal and Djokovic. it's a pleasure to watch the best of all time (although Roger is years past his magical prime), but it's not at all impressive for a top few guys to be able dominate such a poor tour. you have a few guys who are great players and who would be great probably in any era and then you have the rest of the tour that is for the most part pathetic.

I mean for gods sake all the players in the top 20 have been practically incapable of making big upsets for the last half decade!! it takes a random surprise hitting to the heavens rank 100 player to make a huge shocker in a grand slam. the fact is that besides a fluke now and then and a few great players, this era is extremely weak. a good era has some degree of unexpectance of what will happen because there are so many good players.

a poor era like todays lacks surprise because so few players are extremely talented in either game or mind. beyond Federer being the best of all time and Nadal being incredible at times off of clay, the last decade of tennis has not been sublime, and this is coming from a guy who's favorite player ever is Nadal

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

I mean in terms of having these top guys playing at such a consistent and high level, it is certainly interesting, but as far as the whole field is concerned, well there are any differing opinions on that matter.

Although, I must say, starting now, things have gotten pretty interestingly.. Federer will undeniably falter sooner or later, Nadal has seemingly failed to regain his 2008/2009 form off clay, and Djokovic is certainly not in 2011 mode so there could be quite a change for the months to come.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

we need variety; homogenization of courts has killed the sport over the years, sadly.
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

An era does not consist solely of the top 3. And Fed is declining. This era is overall garbage.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

This era is powerful, yet not spectacular. Given the probability of win any of the big three has in any tournament, there's not much to expect, although surprises still happen (yet are very rare).
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

We could use some more variety in conditions and surface speed instead of conditions favoring the same type of player in pretty much every event.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

An era is comprised of more than 3 players, and (more than) even the players itself.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
country flag Blue Heart24

Blue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the OP's flag still exist on MTF?
Blue Heart24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the OP. I think the nontop3 players are really good as well but have less results than in the 90s because the top3 are really really good.

Main difference is physical. Nadal, Djokovic, Federer and Murray are pretty tall and extremely fast(IMO murray hasn't had the same results because of his forehand). Hardly any player on tour or from the past have the same physical potential, then it is not surprising there will be many of them not as technically or mentally good. Also in todays era movement and power is more important than in other era's.

To all who think the non top three are total mugs tell me which of those players have the same physical potential as the top three. Potential so they don't have to be physically good now.

I think now on tour:
Murray (although he seems a little less explosive to Nadal Federer and Djokovic but still close enough)
Tsonga
Monfills
Malisse
Blake
Verdasco

In other eras:
Borg
Safin
Sampras (although I don't know what this blood disease really does, the guy was explosive)
Srichapan
Moya

I probably forgot some but I think most other guys from other eras wouldn't stand much of a chance in this physical era.

Last edited by buzz : 07-04-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: included Moya
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
country flag RNW

RNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by koslav85 View Post
This is great and we should be thankful for having these players entertain us. Federer is not going anywhere soon, he will play for another three years at least and hopefully Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and rest of the guys stay healthy so the quality of this game remains at a high level. We have another four years or so of this era and then its pretty much over. Adios amigos. Vamos Nadal, Djokovic and Federer along with underworld lord Murray , the king of almost there.
Absolutely true.

Just watch one Grand Slam of 2002 or 2003.

Remember players like Verkerk or Gaudio in a Grand Slam Final.
Respect for them,
but I think today's players ranked in between 10 and 24 are
all better than those.
[Suicide T.]: Winner of WTF Masters London 2013, Shanghai 2012, Montpellier 2013 & Barcelona 2014
[TT]: -
RNW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heart24 View Post
Why does the OP's flag still exist on MTF?
OP must manually change his country from Yugoslavia to wherever he is. That option still exists among the country options. It's his choice to keep it.

I don't agree with "Adios amigos" after this era is over. You never know what or who comes next.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW View Post
Absolutely true.

Just watch one Grand Slam of 2002 or 2003.

Remember players like Verkerk or Gaudio in a Grand Slam Final.
Respect for them,
but I think today's players ranked in between 10 and 24 are
all better than those
No.

For a start, Verkerk played incredible tennis at Roland Garros in 2003, playing a similar brand of tennis to that of Robin Soderling. Dominant serving, hard and flat ground strokes from either side and being able to hit winners from any position of the court. Verkerk had better volleying ability. When such a player gets hot, they can beat anybody. Verkerk's problems were through injury and lack of dedication. As he said himself, he was a "playboy". You don't beat guys like Horna, Schuettler, Moya and Coria playing run of the mill tennis. Are you saying that those players in between 10 and 24 are also better than Schuettler, Moya and Coria?

And Gaudio really needs no justification.

When people say things like this, I really wonder whether they understand the sport and had even watched the sport back then. Everyone was blown away by Verkerk's tennis and run at the time. Now, with those who have no memory, they forget he played astonishing tennis during that fortnight simply because he never performed like that ever again.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
country flag RNW

RNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
No.

For a start, Verkerk played incredible tennis at Roland Garros in 2003, playing a similar brand of tennis to that of Robin Soderling. Dominant serving, hard and flat ground strokes from either side and being able to hit winners from any position of the court. Verkerk had better volleying ability. When such a player gets hot, they can beat anybody. Verkerk's problems were through injury and lack of dedication. As he said himself, he was a "playboy". You don't beat guys like Horna, Schuettler, Moya and Coria playing run of the mill tennis. Are you saying that those players in between 10 and 24 are also better than Schuettler, Moya and Coria?

And Gaudio really needs no justification.

When people say things like this, I really wonder whether they understand the sport and had even watched the sport back then. Everyone was blown away by Verkerk's tennis and run at the time. Now, with those who have no memory, they forget he played astonishing tennis during that fortnight simply because he never performed like that ever again.
I saw that tournament and I don't mean that those players from today 10-24 would have beaten Verkerk or Gaudio at this tournament,
but in other tournaments/years.

But you are right,
it is possible that i remember wrong.
I only watched Slams at this time and not the whole tour like the last years.

I just wanted to say that Berdych, Söderling, Del Potro or even Almagro, Monaco, Tipsarevic or Wawrinka had some great tournament where they played great and they all lost to Federer, Djokovic or nadal later.
Without those 3, they would have done better.
[Suicide T.]: Winner of WTF Masters London 2013, Shanghai 2012, Montpellier 2013 & Barcelona 2014
[TT]: -

Last edited by RNW : 07-04-2012 at 01:44 PM.
RNW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Surface homogenisation and 3 players don't make an era.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote