S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #241
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I remember there being a discussion on this (btw your question is not stupid) at the USO a few years ago because some of best umpires went missing due to the low rates. $500 a match I think was mentioned but not sure. That's for umpires.
Interesting. Do you happen to know the average amount of matches that an ump officiates annually? Seems like a low amount pet match, especially since they have to travel just like the players.
SerialKillerToBe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #242
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Interesting. Do you happen to know the average amount of matches that an ump officiates annually? Seems like a low amount pet match, especially since they have to travel just like the players.
hard to say . I don't think it is very high, probably around 50-60 for the top umps(just a guess)

some good articles chair ump

Curriculum vitae

Pay Ranges from £250 to £950 a week for chair umpiring, the higher end depending on if you are a "designated official" (one of the main umpires).

Hours At a qualifying match, he can be done by 10.30am. On other days, he can be at a tournament all day.

Work-life balance "The time on site can be long. We may only do one or two matches, but there can be a lot of waiting around. We can also be on standby in case a replacement chair umpire is needed. If I finish at a decent time I try and make the most of the evening, especially in a city with lots to see."

Best thing On court for a big match with a large crowd. "The adrenaline flows and you get energy from everything around you. Also travelling round the world, submerging yourself in different cultures."

Worst thing "Missing out on a home life and not being there for close friends' birthdays. And I was stuck at Madrid airport for eight hours earlier this year, but haven't lost my luggage yet, probably one of the few tennis officials not to, so far." http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...-tennis-umpire

Gold badge chair umpires, the highest-rated officials in professional tennis, the ones who work the most important tournaments and matches, make $250 each day at the Open. It is the lowest pay rate for any Grand Slam tournament. There are 26 such umpires. Twenty-four of them worked Wimbledon, but only 13 are here at the Open.

“We’ve been saying this for years and years,” Norm Chryst, a retired gold badge chair umpire, said Tuesday in a telephone interview. “The U.S. Open makes more and more each year, but very little of that goes to the officials. Gold badge umpires don’t want to come here. Why? A lot of the answer is money.”

For gold badge umpires, officiating tournaments is their primary job and main source of income. At most tournaments, their pay is set by the ATP World Tour, the WTA or the International Tennis Federation. But at Grand Slam events, tournament organizers dictate everything from pay rates to accommodations. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/sp...e-us-open.html

How much do tennis officials get paid?

There are a number of factors which affect the amount of money an Official might get paid.

For ITF Tournaments we have some minimum recommended fees according to the type of event an Official is working.

Since the cost of living varies so much in different countries around the world and exchange rates change regularly, we encourage National Associations to make agreements on a national basis in local currency with the officials regarding the fees paid for officials.

Some examples are below:

ITF PRO CIRCUIT

US$ 50,000 and above:

Supervisor: US$ 1700 *
International Chair Umpire: US$ 825 *
White Badge Chair Umpire: US$ 550 *

US$ 10,000-25,000:

Supervisor: US$ 1100 *
International Chair Umpire: US$ 750 *
White Badge Chair Umpire: US$ 550 *

* These fees are regarded by the ITF as minimum levels and is the Gross amount to be paid (before their income tax and any other deductions are subtracted from their pay). In many countries around the world actual fees paid are considerably more and are agreed with the tournament organiser.http://www.itftennis.com/officiating/faqs/general.aspx
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #243
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
I'd guess their expenses are paid by the organizers.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #244
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
I actually asked that already somewhere in this thread. It's measured as the ball leaves the racket, before it hits the surface. So the surface doesn't matter to the measured speed.
ah..really?..OK...many thanks, Mercury..
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #245
country flag Adri89

Adri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond repute

My stupid question : I've never understood why players have to choose the ball they'll use for the next point between... news balls of the same mark ! I could understand it after some games of play, but they use to do it even in a game with new balls...

My answer would be to focus and choose to tactic they'll use on the next point + to recover between points but not sure at all
Adri89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #246
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f21n...0&feature=plcp

Who is the commentator who is saying "He's made it... Stepanek on fire"?
Dead Net Cord is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #247
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the shortening of the schedule, has the idea of making IW and Miami 1 week tournaments been taken into consideration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #248
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
Regarding the shortening of the schedule, has the idea of making IW and Miami 1 week tournaments been taken into consideration?
No, and they will never do that.
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #249
country flag _Chaz

_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post

That's Robbie Koenig.

I also like: Wawrinka | Tsonga | Dimitrov | Isner | Gulbis |

Warm regards: 6-3 6-0 / 6-3 6-4
_Chaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #250
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post

He's actually saying "Stepanek on Falla." You haven't heard about their relationship yet?

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #251
country flag Beta2k

Beta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond repute

are wildcards seeded?
if yes, can there be a reason that a WC is not seeded?
Beta2k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #252
country flag decrepitude

decrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond reputedecrepitude has a reputation beyond repute

They definitely are usually seeded, I don't know of any reason why one would not be. Anybody know different?

Following ANDY MURRAY and all British tennis on
http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/stats.html
(click on GB Tennis Forum)
decrepitude is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #253
country flag Beta2k

Beta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond reputeBeta2k has a reputation beyond repute

i already confirmed the fact that they are seeded by looking at some draws.. my friend tried to confuse me
Beta2k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #254
country flag JurajCrane

JurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond reputeJurajCrane has a reputation beyond repute
Default How are entry lists made ?

This thread might be little bit off topic, but I am very curious how players sign into tournaments.

It is via some players application, some special site where they can see other signed players or it is via personal contact with current tournament ?

Does anybody knows how is it ? And when entry list is made, where is it posted (I don´t count here on MTF or other forums) ?

Dustin Brown - Nick Kyrgios - Norbert Gombos - Stanislas Wawrinka - Dominic Thiem
JurajCrane is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #255
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri89 View Post
My stupid question : I've never understood why players have to choose the ball they'll use for the next point between... news balls of the same mark ! I could understand it after some games of play, but they use to do it even in a game with new balls...

My answer would be to focus and choose to tactic they'll use on the next point + to recover between points but not sure at all
I think it is a routine they go through, regardless if it actually makes sense.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote