S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #211
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
What is that they call 'eye formation'?
Has any team ever given a match 'walk over' in a Davis Cup Tie? Not the complete Tie, only a match.
It's not the eye formation but rather the "i formation" as in the letter i. That's because the players are in line with each other just as the letter i where the line and the dot are in line with each other At least that's how I interpret it. I'm sure there has been quite a few walkovers for example in this Wikipedia article about the German Davis Cup team it says :

Quote:
After three 5–0 whitewashes against Brazil, Denmark and Yugoslavia Germany once again met Sweden. Now it was Sweden's turn to lose at home. Germany secured its triumph in the third match, the double. Carl-Uwe Steeb and Boris Becker had defeated Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg, respectively, before the German double consisting of Becker and Eric Jelen defeated Edberg and Anders Järryd in five sets. The fourth match which was shortened to best of three was won by Edberg before Sweden let Germany get its fourth point by a walkover.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #212
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
It's not the eye formation but rather the "i formation" as in the letter i. That's because the players are in line with each other just as the letter i where the line and the dot are in line with each other At least that's how I interpret it. I'm sure there has been quite a few walkovers for example in this Wikipedia article about the German Davis Cup team it says :
That particular WO was a dead rubber. It would be interesting to see if it ever happened to a live one. Since you always have alternates, it should be rare to say the least.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #213
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

A walkover cannot happen in a Davis Cup live match, unless we're talking below World Group II, where you might find a nation which doesn't have enough players to complete a full Davis Cup team with alternates.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #214

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
That particular WO was a dead rubber. It would be interesting to see if it ever happened to a live one. Since you always have alternates, it should be rare to say the least.
That's what I thought. So much for that...

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #215
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about something strange, uncany at least. Did it happen during an ATP tour tournament that a player wins a match with a blatant injury, or illness, something really debilitating, that would cause many other players to retire or severly incapacitate them?
I am not talking about a long-lasting pain like Nadal's tendonitis, blisters. No I mean an injury that occured during a match, and the guy takes a MTO, just to keep playing to the end, but actually wins the match instead. I wonder if it happened really, with the guy playing at 20% and still win, people shouting, opponent getting mad at referee, this kind of stuff...

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

1 year, 7 weeks as Top 10 and counting
M T F
Mega-Tsonga-Fandom
don't like Tsonga? move along, it's propaganda here.

Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #216
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

happened about 1,000 times
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #217
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D. View Post
I was thinking about something strange, uncany at least. Did it happen during an ATP tour tournament that a player wins a match with a blatant injury, or illness, something really debilitating, that would cause many other players to retire or severly incapacitate them?
I am not talking about a long-lasting pain like Nadal's tendonitis, blisters. No I mean an injury that occured during a match, and the guy takes a MTO, just to keep playing to the end, but actually wins the match instead. I wonder if it happened really, with the guy playing at 20% and still win, people shouting, opponent getting mad at referee, this kind of stuff...
Did you miss the Fognini-Monaco match at last years RG? Most epic example of that happening in a while
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #218
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
Did you miss the Fognini-Monaco match at last years RG? Most epic example of that happening in a while
Montanes

Last edited by motorhead : 09-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #219
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

You Guys know why Grand slams are played in the same order every year?
mreccentric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #220

Quote:
You Guys know why Grand slams are played in the same order every year?
There probably isn't one specific answer, but rather many reasons. One could be that they all play into the surface's season because AO is during the Summer HC season, RG is during the clay season, W is during the grass season, and USO is part of the fall HC season.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #221
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

I found out another reason.
A, B, C, D, E.....

A = Aus Open
F = French Open
T = The Championship, Wimbledon
U = US Open

Alphabetic Order?!!!
mreccentric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #222
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I've been wondering this, why do so many Croatian players are tall and big-serving?

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #223
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Montagnes
Brainfart, thanks
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #224
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
I found out another reason.
A, B, C, D, E.....

A = Aus Open
F = French Open
T = The Championship, Wimbledon
U = US Open

Alphabetic Order?!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #225
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

This is more of a question about a current situation.

In KL qualies Karosi had a 1st round bye an then was schedule to meet top seed Vasek Pospisil in round 2. However shortly after the draw was made Pospisil got direct entry to KL, and so Karosi was given a Walkover into round 3.

Now my question is does Karosi get the 6 points for making the final round of qualifying?

Normally in such a case where the top seed in qualifying gets moved into the main draw there's an ALT to replace them, in this case there was none, the draw sucked so bad most players had round 1 byes. Also in most cases there is no byes so even with 1 walkover there haven't reached the stage where that would give them ranking points.

Also in cases such as this before when the top seed moves into the main draw they don't give his opponent a walkover, they just remove his name from the draw a give his opponent a bye in which case he would not recieve the points, but they did not do that in this case.

I could wait until next Monday to see if he now has a ranking with those free 6 ranking points or not but does anyone here know or see the situation before? imo it would be incredably unfair for an unranked player to get 6 points for a bye and essentially what is usally a 2nd bye which in this case was called a walkover.

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote