S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #136
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
God must hate him.
Lorenzi

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #137
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Do you have to hit the ball with the racket? If a player inadvertently hits the ball with his head, let's say Player A attempts a passing shot and Player B was really close to the net, it hits Player B's head and it lands in Player A's court and lands in – does Player B win or lose the point?
adding to this unanwered question.

Do you actually have to hit the ball at all? What happens if player A hits a drop shot with an insane amount of backspin, player B cannot get to it and gives up on the ball. The ball lands in player B's court only to bounce backwards over the net onto player A's court and bounces twice. Who gets the point?

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #138

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post

Do you actually have to hit the ball at all? What happens if player A hits a drop shot with an insane amount of backspin, player B cannot get to it and gives up on the ball. The ball lands in player B's court only to bounce backwards over the net onto player A's court and bounces twice. Who gets the point?
I can answer that one. If the ball bounces on your side and you don't touch it, but it bounces back onto the other person's side then it counts for the person who hit the ball. Here's an example using the GOAT Santoro:

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #139
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
Do you have to hit the ball with the racket? If a player inadvertently hits the ball with his head, let's say Player A attempts a passing shot and Player B was really close to the net, it hits Player B's head and it lands in Player A's court and lands in – does Player B win or lose the point?
Quote:
There is no new rule for 2006. See Friend At Court (FAC) R 24 (h) P.20 – Rules of Tennis: “Player loses point: The ball in play touches the player or anything that the player is wearing or carrying, except the racket.”
Source: http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Gam...on_body_shots/

But I think back of the hand is OK (so long it's a hand gripping the racquet). In this very important doubles match, Petzschner gets away with using another body part:

n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #140
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

As well as Freak3yman84's answer, I would like to add something. If the ball does return to the hitter's side after bouncing on his opponent's side, the opponent is allowed to reach other the net line to hit the ball (usually the contact point has to be on the side of the net your feet are on).
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #141
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
I can answer that one. If the ball bounces on your side and you don't touch it, but it bounces back onto the other person's side then it counts for the person who hit the ball. Here's an example using the GOAT Santoro:

well that's stupid then, the net gets in the way of Nalbandian hitting the ball, he shouldn't have to hit a ball which is now no longer on his half of the court

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #142
country flag n8

Quote:
well that's stupid then, the net gets in the way of Nalbandian hitting the ball, he shouldn't have to hit a ball which is now no longer on his half of the court
The skill level and unusual circumstances required to hit that shot should be rewarded. Giving the point to Nalbandian would be ludicrous.

I would now like to boast that I've done such a shot.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #143
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
As well as Freak3yman84's answer, I would like to add something. If the ball does return to the hitter's side after bouncing on his opponent's side, the opponent is allowed to reach other the net line to hit the ball (usually the contact point has to be on the side of the net your feet are on).
There is a famous video of Nadal doing this. Can't seem to find it now. Will post it once I do.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #144
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are the chances to draw Djokovic in 2 grand slams in 1 year in the 1st round?(Paolo Lorenzi)
The chances for Lorenzi to draw Djokovic in 2 random Grand Slams are (1/127)^2 ~~ 0,0062% which is like tossing tails on a coin 14 times in a row

Last edited by Dead Net Cord : 08-29-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Dead Net Cord is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #145
country flag n8

Quote:
What are the chances to draw Djokovic in 2 grand slams in 1 year in the 1st round?(Paolo Lorenzi)
Assuming Djokovic is seeded and Lorenzi is not:

4C2 x (1/96)^2 x (95/96)^2 = 95/147456 = 0.000644 = 0.0644%

The chance of 2 or more times in one year is 0.0649%.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #146
country flag n8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
There is a famous video of Nadal doing this. Can't seem to find it now. Will post it once I do.

Nadal is in it at 1:05 but the whole video shows these super backspin shots (Gonzalez features more than once, due to hitting a return of serve forehand with a backhand grip). Rios
Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #147
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nadal is in it at 1:05 but the whole video shows these super backspin shots (Gonzalez features more than once, due to hitting a return of serve forehand with a backhand grip). Rios
Mansour Bahrami
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post
The chances for Lorenzi to draw Djokovic in 2 random Grand Slams are (1/127)^2 ~~ 0,0062% which is like tossing tails on a coin 14 times in a row
Thanks

Quote:
Assuming Djokovic is seeded and Lorenzi is not:

4C2 x (1/96)^2 x (95/96)^2 = 95/147456 = 0.000644 = 0.0644%

The chance of 2 or more times in one year is 0.0649%.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

Quote:
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #149

Bump. And who the hell are those people who talk to the winner of a match when they are packing up their bags. What's their purpose too?

Quote:
Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #150
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

SQ #1: If you manage to hit the ball to opponent's side past the net post, does it have to pass the net higher then net?

SQ #2: What are players' clothing contracts like. In his match against Gulbis, Haas wore Nike shorts and hat, and most of his shirts were Nike but he also wore one Asics shirt. Top players are paid for wearing a brand but what about lower ranked guys. And what are racquet contracts like, I assume top guys are paid by racquet companies?

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote